Rod Suggestion for Kids

I do a lot of fishing with my kids. As you can imagine they can be hard on gear. We "lost" 3 rods last year so I'm in the market for some new ones.

Does anyone have experience with tough, low price, rods? Any Suggestions?

I have a couple of Ugly sticks that have passed the kid test. They really are indestructible. I am tempted to get another one for the kids.

In the same price range is the Shimano Voltaeus. They are billing it as "extremely durable". I think it might have better sensitivity then the Ugly Stick. Anyone have any experience with these rods?

How old are your kids? After trashing a few 'Spiderman' rods I decided to set my kids up in a decent spincast reel on an ice fishing rod. Handled the fish better and was 1000 times more durable. If they are old enough to handle a spinning outfit, I put them on a 1000 size reel mounted on a BPS 5' medium action rod. It is still fun to catch panfish and can handle a decent fish. My son was 7 and landed a 4lb Smallie all on his own - you should heard the screams, it was awesome. Bottom line, I bought the medium action because the hook is basically set due to the stiffness of the rod. The BPS rods (graphite series) have been fine but I suspect an ugly stick would also be good.

There were these 6'6 rods at walmart by shakespeare that are $15.97 and they are pretty sweet. THey are black with blue. My buddy has 2 of them and i have used them. Probably as good as any $50 rod I have ever used.

PS Friends don't let friends use ugly stiks (and neither should dads) lol

UGLY STICKS hands down!!!!!!!!

The reason I say this is because my kids are all 19+ now they have been fishing since sthey could walk and over the years the have won at alot of derbies and as you can imagine alot of rods and reels have been won and out of that the only ones that survive are the ugly sticks Im here to tell you that the beating they can take cant be matched by any other rod I have numerous other rods with broken tips missing eyes and whatnot but the ulgy sticks survive

Just my 2 cents

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Thanks for the response guys! Ugly sticks have proven the test of time as far as durability goes! My wife even drove over one of mine with the van when we were camping. She didn't see it leaning against the van (so she says!!). The reel was smashed but the rod was undamaged. The kids are still using it today!

My oldest is 9. When she was 2 I got her a cute little Dora rod. It lasted one trip!! They are toys and complete garbage! The next rod was a 5'6" Ugly Stick combo with a spin caster (push button reel with a dome on top of it). It was $30 at Canadian Tire. This thing worked great for young kids. The rod was unbreakable and the reel never ever tangled. And it went through a lot of abuse!! It is now on it's 8th season and it's 4th kid and it is still working great! I own 4 now. The drag is poor and I wouldn't fish for anything bigger than pan fish but it's a great starter rod.

My 2 oldest (9 and 7) have now graduated to a spinning combo. My third (age 6) is close and this year she will make the move. My 4 year old will be on the spin caster for another couple of year. The other spin casters are for other kids when they come fishing with us.

I was planning on upgrading their setup. Maybe I'll upgrade one of my rods and hand my old one down....

I was planning on upgrading their setup. Maybe I'll upgrade one of my rods and hand my old one down....

Probably the smartest thing you can do! Think about all the upgrade options you have out there!

Just hope that your kids don't break the one that you pass down. If they break that one, then bust out the el cheapo replacements or another ugly stick. lol

Just hope that your kids don't break the one that you pass down. If they break that one, then bust out the el cheapo replacements or another ugly stick. lol

To be honest....I broke 2 of the 3 rods that we lost last year. I slammed on in the van door and the other snapped in 2 while I was casting. The third one is sitting on the bottom of Rice Lake. The 4 year old was tired of holding it and just let it go while we were drifting. By the time I got back to it, it was gone.

In the same price range is the Shimano Voltaeus. They are billing it as "extremely durable". I think it might have better sensitivity then the Ugly Stick. Anyone have any experience with these rods?

I have a Med action one at 7' and for the price it is GREAT! the tip is so sensitive you can watch it move with the lightest of bites.

Thanks for all the options! A couple of makes / models that I hadn't heard of. The Cheerywood gets a lot of good reviews! That Shakespeare Excursion at Walmart would be hard to beat at $16!!

Geoff, thanks for the review. I picked up a 5'6" UL Voltaeus at Gagnon's on sale for $30 (with a life time warranty). I paired it with a 500 series Shimano Sedona that I already had. It should be a great little combo for the older kids. Plus the silver on silver looks really good!

Hirk has a couple rods I'm going to have a look at ... hard to pass up half price.

I may regret not sticking with the time tested ugly stick but a little variety is good...I hope!

I think you made a good call on the Voltaeus!!!! My daughter got a 4'6" UL Voltaeus last year and has beat the living crap out of it... not to mention she landed some good sized fish on it... keeps on kickin'! She ripped me off for my 500 sized Sienna and ended up with a great little combo!

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_1228_2.jpg

IMG_1249_2.jpg

Good luck with the little ones - that is what it's all about man... you're a good dude for getting out and spending time with them!

Cheers,

Ryan

Geoff, thanks for the review. I picked up a 5'6" UL Voltaeus at Gagnon's on sale for $30 (with a life time warranty). I paired it with a 500 series Shimano Sedona that I already had. It should be a great little combo for the older kids. Plus the silver on silver looks really good!

Hey Chris, just make sure it's the kids rod and not your rod for crappie and perch fishing... :whistling: