Who's UP for Season Opener in Algonquin

mirogak

the Dusey eh? that sounds awesome, is it a decent river? Are you paddling out to the Albany? The book I have says locals say the Dusey downstream of Dusey Lake is haunted (if you're into that kinda stuff)

I paddled it once years and years ago but my memory of it is vague beyond the good brook trout fishing.

We'll be flying into an outpost camp on Dusey lake and fishing the river upstream and down. The outfitter recently cut trails around rapids/falls and cached squareback canoes to open up miles of new water.

Which book talks about the Dusey being haunted? I'd love to read it.

I paddled it once years and years ago but my memory of it is vague beyond the good brook trout fishing.

We'll be flying into an outpost camp on Dusey lake and fishing the river upstream and down. The outfitter recently cut trails around rapids/falls and cached squareback canoes to open up miles of new water.

Which book talks about the Dusey being haunted? I'd love to read it.

Berger and Terry "Canoe Atlas of the Little North", it's pricey but an awesome reference book (I keep it in the bathroom so I can skim through it while I have some time sitting there)

they don't say much more than that about the haunted stuff

looks like 7 Lakes Outposts, I bet there isn't alot of parties going in there

I'll say it again, you're a lucky guy, looking forward to the report on that one

Edited by chris.brock

Berger and Terry "Canoe Atlas of the Little North", it's pricey but an awesome reference book (I keep it in the bathroom so I can skim through it while I have some time sitting there)

they don't say much more than that about the haunted stuff

looks like 7 Lakes Outposts, I bet there isn't alot of parties going in there

I'll say it again, you're a lucky guy, looking forward to the report on that one

Cool thanks man, I'll give Chapters a call and see if they have it.

It is 7 Lakes. The owner Brad recently aquired the Dusey camp and yeah it hasn't been fished much at all in recent years. Should definitely be interesting.

I have to agree , there is no better time of the year to be in the backcountry of this province (September is a very close second) I have a trip planned

to a mighty fine lake trout lake for the begining of May.Plan away everyone :thumbsup_anim:

Ok I must admit. I have never been to AP in spring (been only in summer and fall). What makes the Spring time so great?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Brookies in 6ft of water or less.

and a willingness to smash small spinners with the ferocity of a hungry bass. :thumbsup_anim:

I don't know about you guys but I start planning and thinking about my spring trip as soon as the snow flies the previous year so its been a long

winter thinking about it and anticipating the good times with friends and catching those shallow lakers !

As well as the sights , sounds and smells of spring in the bush are indescribable , you just have to experience it !

• 2 weeks later...

We'll do our best to sting every single aggressive fish before you arrive. :D

That's fine - you can have the low hanging "aggressive" fruit. We're more into the challenge of pursuing those that are more difficult to obtain. (Kind of like the Home Coming Queen I took to tthe prom.) The tougher the pursuit the sweeter the meat.

That's fine - you can have the low hanging "aggressive" fruit. We're more into the challenge of pursuing those that are more difficult to obtain. (Kind of like the Home Coming Queen I took to tthe prom.) The tougher the pursuit the sweeter the meat.

Actually we're going to take them all.

We're travelling with a native Ojibway who will be systematically gill netting the entire river from Hawley lake to the bay.

You might as well cancel your trip now.

Actually we're going to take them all.

We're travelling with a native Ojibway who will be systematically gill netting the entire river from Hawley lake to the bay.

You might as well cancel your trip now.

I'm familiar with the concept. I live an hour from Mille Lacs in MN.

Does the technique work as well on Trout as it does on Walleye?

In seriousness - this will be our group's 29th annual trip... starting with Albany River canoe trips before the road to Armstrong was paved and when Wabakimi was just the name of a lake and not a park. I spend months drooling over these trips and Sutton is going to be special I'm certain.

In seriousness - this will be our group's 29th annual trip... starting with Albany River canoe trips before the road to Armstrong was paved and when Wabakimi was just the name of a lake and not a park. I spend months drooling over these trips and Sutton is going to be special I'm certain.

You sound like a kindred spirit Harry, I've paddled most of the rivers in N/W Ontario myself. Much like yourself this is a much anticipated trip for us.

For me it's literally been in the works since my uncle told me wild tales of huge brookies in the spring of 1972.

It's too bad our trips are slightly overlapping. Otherwise I'd have been happy to share my trip notes with you.

There's really not much info floating around on this route.

Cheers

It's too bad our trips are slightly overlapping. Otherwise I'd have been happy to share my trip notes with you.

There's really not much info floating around on this route.

Cheers

If it's on the net we've got it already - but you are correct - not much out there. We're good at making it up as we go along though.

Just don't leave any chewing gum wrappers laying around for us to pick up!

Hopefully we won't ride up on your bumper and compare notes post trip.

If it's on the net we've got it already - but you are correct - not much out there. We're good at making it up as we go along though.

Just don't leave any chewing gum wrappers laying around for us to pick up!

Hopefully we won't ride up on your bumper and compare notes post trip.

Well you'll be about 5 days behind us. It's not impossible especially since we're taking 12 days and are planning several layovers.

Honestly that was my greatest concern when I booked with Hearst Air. I have no desire to have a flotilla of canoes herding me down the river.

They supposedly schedule the parties far enough apart and assured me of that, but there's many variables and nothing is certain.

Well you'll be about 5 days behind us. It's not impossible especially since we're taking 12 days and are planning several layovers.

Honestly that was my greatest concern when I booked with Hearst Air. I have no desire to have a flotilla of canoes herding me down the river.

They supposedly schedule the parties far enough apart and assured me of that, but there's many variables and nothing is certain.

5 days should be plenty. We aren't going to be in a hurry even though we've only got 9 river days. In fact - now that we have this conversation we can manage our time to avoid overlap - we can stay in touch as we get closer to the dates. If you know then when you are laying over maybe we can plan accordingly and do the same. Might not be completely spontaneous but better than a crowd. We will be a group of 4 - and we can barely stand to be around each other so we avoid strangers when we can!

Melanie was pretty clear about how she times the groups. One of our guys screwed up the dates originally and we tried to shift to a day later - but she wouldn't have it given the next group coming in behind us.

PS: With 5 days there might even be someone in between us....

5 days should be plenty. We aren't going to be in a hurry even though we've only got 9 river days. In fact - now that we have this conversation we can manage our time to avoid overlap - we can stay in touch as we get closer to the dates. If you know then when you are laying over maybe we can plan accordingly and do the same. Might not be completely spontaneous but better than a crowd. We will be a group of 4 - and we can barely stand to be around each other so we avoid strangers when we can!

Melanie was pretty clear about how she times the groups. One of our guys screwed up the dates originally and we tried to shift to a day later - but she wouldn't have it given the next group coming in behind us.

That's a good idea Harry, I'm an antisocial jerk too. :thumbsup_anim:

It's not going to be easy to predict though. It'll be entirely based on weather and the quality of the fishing.

I suspect with it being later in the season the greatest concentrations of trout will be in the upper half of the river so it's more likely we'll layover there.

My direct email address is [email protected] if you'd like to touch base later this summer.

Edited by solopaddler