Boat trailer steps or similar..

mercman

So far, i have been fishing with another person most of the time. But on occasion, i would like to get out and Just Fish, and spend the day alone, trying new techniques.

I'm getting up there, and cant see myself driving the boat onto the trailer, and jumping off the edge of the boat, onto the ground. With bow mount, and sonar, mounted on the bow, i would have to jump from the casting deck, down 4 feet to and uneven launch, and risk breaking an ankle or legstretcher.gif

Is there some kind on an accessory that you guys would suggest, that makes this an easier task?

Usually there is a dock to step onto beside the boat launch.. if not you just go over the bow and into the truck box. I can load my Baron and reach WAY over to hook my bow strap on.. climb out and winch her up tight, jump back in and shut the engine down in about 30 seconds.

paul... i normally leave the tailgate down on the truck... then its not too bad of a step from the bow to the tailgate... then sit down and slide off to your feet... and if the back of the truck is in the water... you can climb over the wall of the truck onto the tire and then down...

not sure how good you are at hoping and climbing but thats what works for me...

You could buy one of These for the tongue, or one of these or maybe one of [url="these"]these[/url].

I just swing a leg over the side of my boat and stand on the trailer frame, but one of these steps would make it easier. I like the last one that could go on the Y on the side opposite the TM.

Not sure what you have for a boat but this is mine and it sounds yours is similar with it being 4' or so from gunnel to ground.

Boat_1.jpg

Boat_5.jpg

Usually there is a dock to step onto beside the boat launch.. if not you just go over the bow and into the truck box. I can load my Baron and reach WAY over to hook my bow strap on.. climb out and winch her up tight, jump back in and shut the engine down in about 30 seconds.

Ya, i looked at that option, with my trolling motor on the bow pad, i have no room for a foot to step on and over the bow point. Ideally, what i would need would be a step about 2 feet below the top edge of the boat. I could then step over and onto the step, then down onto the ramp. Like EEZEE Step.That would be the ideal setup, if i could find a canadian distributor.

Jesus Paul.. live a little. I just jump from the bow to the bed.. crank the trailer winch tight and climb back in and shut the engine down. Jump back in the truck box, climb over onto the back tire and drive the puppy out! I'll be 50 in 21 days.....

I'll be 50 in 21 days.....

JEEEZ, YOU'RE OLD!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

I won't be 50 until July!!! :lol:

Why does everyone think Paul drives a pickup truck?

I though he drove a Skoda. :dunno: :dunno:

I drive an SUV and if the water is deep leave the lift gate open and climb over the side onto the trailer frame and walk into the back and climb through to the front seat or pop out of the back side door.

Eazy, Peazy!!!! ;)

How about a 5' step ladder stored in the back of your truck.

When you back down the ramp, put the tail gate down and slide the ladder out and hook it onto the winch so you can reach it when you have the boat on the trailer.

It would also help you get back in the boat on dry land to get the stuff out of the boat that you forgot.

Either that or a pair of stilts. :tease: :tease:

Now that would be hilarious to watch! :rofl2: :rofl2:

Jesus Paul.. live a little. I just jump from the bow to the bed.. crank the trailer winch tight and climb back in and shut the engine down. Jump back in the truck box, climb over onto the back tire and drive the puppy out! I'll be 50 in 21 days.....

50?????? Yer just a baby

Cripes Wayne i have will-knots older than you, yer just a spring chicken for gawds sakewhistling.gif

How about a 5' step ladder stored in the back of your truck.

When you back down the ramp, put the tail gate down and slide the ladder out and hook it onto the winch so you can reach it when you have the boat on the trailer.

It would also help you get back in the boat on dry land to get the stuff out of the boat that you forgot.

Either that or a pair of stilts. tease.giftease.gif

Now that would be hilarious to watch! rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

You are trying to kill me, aren't you Skeeter......BANG ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JEEEZ, YOU'RE OLD!!!! tease.giftease.giftease.gif

I won't be 50 until July!!! laugh.gif

Why does everyone think Paul drives a pickup truck?

I though he drove a Skoda. dunno.gifdunno.gif

I drive an SUV and if the water is deep leave the lift gate open and climb over the side onto the trailer frame and walk into the back and climb through to the front seat or pop out of the back side door.

Eazy, Peazy!!!! wink.gif

I like that step thing in Cabelas Dave, That may do the trick.clapping.gif

This is why they think i drive a truck.....

IMGP1295-1.jpg

I like that step thing in Cabelas Dave, That may do the trick.clapping.gif

This is why they think i drive a truck.....

IMGP1295-1.jpg

You already have a nice step there Paul.

Just use the spare trailer tire to step down on.

If thatdoesn't work that step from Cabelas would. ;)

FYI, when I drive my boat onto the trailer I leave it in gear while I lean over the front to connect the winch cable. I then shud down and tilt the motor, jump down and onto the tongue, tighten the winch, hop in tow vehicle and drive to the prep area to finish unloading the boat and hooking up the tiedowns.

Wow, they redesigned the Skoda I see. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Come'on Paul.. my bow rail is 52" off the trailer!!! ohmy.gif

The real reason is, i am afraid to fall and break somethingblush.gif .Not vertigo or anything like that Wayne, just afraid to fall and hurt myself.

I am 57 this year, and have never broken a bone in this beautiful specimen.thumbsup_anim.gif

You already have a nice step there Paul.

Just use the spare trailer tire to step down on.

If thatdoesn't work that step from Cabelas would. wink.gif

FYI, when I drive my boat onto the trailer I leave it in gear while I lean over the front to connect the winch cable. I then shud down and tilt the motor, jump down and onto the tongue, tighten the winch, hop in tow vehicle and drive to the prep area to finish unloading the boat and hooking up the tiedowns.

Wow, they redesigned the Skoda I see. rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Thats another option i was looking at.Get a side mount tire bracket.That would put the tire exactly where i need to use it as a step.

Paul , i have the answer , mount a pole in the center of the bow of your boat , go get a use water slide for a pool and mount it to the pole and have it swing , now where ever you want to go will be easy , get it aimed right and just slide either into the pickup box or if you can leave the truck door open you can slide your self right in on the truck seat and your good to drive away other wise , if its one of those things where you have to keep getting in and out all the time , try hooking a bunji cord to the back of your pants and the other end to the pole , this well speed up your mounting and dismounting time in a big way , please let us know how it works ............ good.gifPeople the guy is looking for answer here , i am merly trying to help the old guy out

Edited by Skipper " D "

Paul , i have the answer , mount a pole in the center of the bow of your boat , go get a use water slide for a pool and mount it to the pole and have it swing , now where ever you want to go will be easy , get it aimed right and just slide either into the pickup box or if you can leave the truck door open you can slide your self right in on the truck seat and your good to drive away other wise , if its one of those things where you have to keep getting in and out all the time , try hooking a bunji cord to the back of your pants and the other end to the pole , this well speed up your mounting and dismounting time in a big way , please let us know how it works ............ good.gifPeople the guy is looking for answer here , i am merly trying to help the old guy out

Lol

Actually Skipper might be on the right track (well sort of). Paul, I am sort of like you (only older) and I really try to be careful about things like falling too. Perhaps a pole attached to your trailer tounge just in front of the winch and extending up to where you could easily reach it for support would help. A couple of step plates welded to the winch stand on the left side as you are facing the bow from the truck and you could easily step down off the front of your boat. The pole doesn't have to be left on all the time, just prior to launching and after you put the boat on the trailer, just disconnect and store it.

Spare tire mounted at the front of the trailer makes a perfect step Paul. Climbing down this way is as easy as using stairs. You hafta carry a spare anyways, so you may as well put it where it does double duty.

Personally, I just climb over the gunnel and step down to the trailer tongue....and I'm even older than you :lol:

Cnv1101.jpg

Spare tire mounted at the front of the trailer makes a perfect step Paul. Climbing down this way is as easy as using stairs. You hafta carry a spare anyways, so you may as well put it where it does double duty.

Personally, I just climb over the gunnel and step down to the trailer tongue....and I'm even older than you laugh.gif

Cnv1101.jpg

I was thinking the same thing Lew. Thats probably the route i will take.

Cheers

Paul