"Stinks like Ling in here"

Rod Caster

Chad to Matt: Nip tonight?

Matt to Chad: What time?

We were on the ice and fishing by 3:45. It was overcast with brisk winds and around -6 deg C. Gotta love April in February!

The Perch were hitting non stop from the moment we arrived, dinks mixed with some nice jumbos. Matt gave up on his set line within 30 minutes because there was a fish biting every 10 seconds. Both of us were running back and forth for about 1 hr. Even with my second line 7 feet from my jigging hole, the perch kept me running. Walleye began biting at around 5, mostly small ones, with a few nice ones mixed in. The biggest was around 2.5lbs and two were kept for dinner. In total we got 9 walleye.

Matt with his keeper

100_0074.jpg

Me with the best of the day... released as it was in the slot.

100_0072.jpg

Matt was telling me about the ling he caught the other day on Nip that was 12lbs13oz!! that is only 2.5 lbs from the ontario record. He released it and afterwards he released his stinky gloves to the garbage can haha. Those things are PUNGENT! Is this huge or what?

IMAG0007.jpg

As the walleye bite died off, Matt hooks into a BIG fish that gives him a real exciting fight. After about 3minutes, it approaches the exit and BARELY makes it up the hole, it must have sucked in it's gut; I've never seen a belly like this on a ling. It must have been a pregnant fish...check out this gut.

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

He releases the fish and goes back to jigging in his shelter.... a few minutes later I hear him say " it stinks like ling in here" laugh.gif Good stuff haha.

looks like a slow work week for me, so I'm hoping to get out a couple more times. Gotta love driving out to the spot and fishing prime time.

nice walleye, Chad...last year we went to Temagami and we got more ling than walleye...got to love the way they fight

If I could catch anything on Temagami I'd be happy! I was there this weekend and to be honest, I was a bit lost.

Are'nt they a beautiful specimen. (lol) Good job on the Walleye.

Million dollar smile on those ling haha.

Thanks for the fish Chad, had a great time. Contests in the nice eye too.

Always good fishin' with ya bud, had some good laughs tonight.

Dang !!!!! The the heck is that smell !!!!!mellow.gif

Smells like a great day on the ice for 2 budsgood.gif

You nose it. whistling.gif

Awesome Chad, man I wish I could get up there one more time this year!!

If you do, let me know, I'll show you around. Joey is apparently up next week, could you do join?

You gotta love the warm weather days eh! And you found to schools of fish to. Nothing to complain about!

I know. Life. Is. Good.canadian.gif

Next week I plan on getting into one of those greasy my mom hates me. I nominate you and your GPS co-ords... whistling.gif

oh do you now? haha. I'm in if your in.

Edited by Rod Caster

Fantastic report! Big fat fish too!

They don't stink at all. People are just not used to catching them is all. They're actually a very clean fish. And forget this lobster recipe crap...put anything in garlic butter and it'll "taste" like lobster. Even snails AKA escargots have the same culinary attributes as rubber bands...but in garlic butter they're great eh? You don't need to smother ling in Captain One Arm's magic hot sauce to make it taste good. Trust me on this one.

Have you tried eating those? If not you don't know what your missing. As far as I am concerned they are better tasting than Walleye. Cook the same way as walleye and you have some real good eats there.

I've kept two ling this year and I really enjoyed the meat. I just baked it with cajun spice, like I do with some of my walleye/perch and it was great! This one I felt was too big to keep... She was loaded with eggs and will make a fine mother :) I prefer keeping 3-6 pounders.

Roy: their slime does stink a little more than most fish and it sticks to everything. I once handled a ling with those little black cotton gloves and accidentally place the gloves on my dashboard heater while my truck was idling. Trust me, it creates a very distinct odor haha. Other than the slime, your are right, they are a clean fish and clearly a predatory species... Not necessarily a bottom feeder like some people think. If they are considered a bottom feeder, well, then so are walleye because I catch them with same techniques.

they are a clean fish and clearly a predatory species... Not necessarily a bottom feeder like some people think.

I know one thing for sure, the 8-9 lber I caught gave me the hardest hit I've had ice fishing, and, fought amazingly well. Once you get over the strangeness of them, they are truly a fun fish to catch. As for eating, I know I'll be keeping one again next time I'm at Nipissing!!

The dynamic duo is at it again... Awesome report!!! and some nice big fish for the two of you... Congrats :clapping::clapping:

Questions Chad:

How deep were you fishing?

and do you guys move around to get into different species?

or just stay where you originally started?

The dynamic duo is at it again... Awesome report!!! and some nice big fish for the two of you... Congrats clapping.gifclapping.gif

Questions Chad:

How deep were you fishing?

and do you guys move around to get into different species?

or just stay where you originally started?

We fish in approx 28-32 FOW. I don't move around at all... I know there is a nearby shoal, and I just fish the edges of it. I've tried a few spots around the shoal and it's the same quality fishing all around it seems.

We fish in approx 28-32 FOW. I don't move around at all... I know there is a nearby shoal, and I just fish the edges of it. I've tried a few spots around the shoal and it's the same quality fishing all around it seems.

Cool! Productive area to say the least :good:

LING ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A FRESH WATER COD...RELATED TO THE COD FAMILY. ALTHOUGH LING TASTE GOOD, DON'T THINK THEY COMPARE TO COD. THEY ARE A BLAST TO CATCH BECAUSE THEY FIGHT GOOD...REAL UGLY FISH THOUGH, THEY HAVE A CATFISH THING ABOUT THEM..I NEVER FOUND THEM TO STINK LIKE MUSKY OR PIKE

A little update here:

Matt and I hit our spot again last night. The perch bite was CRAZY! Literally every 10 seconds for three hours I caught a fish.... with a walleye mixed in every 15 or so perch.

We caught 14 walleye in total, 6 of which could have been keepers. 1 was around 2.5lbs and had the same gross warts that Nipfisher showed us several weeks ago. All in all, another good trip!