Boatsmart Exam

Gregoire

After putting off getting a pleasure craft card for years I finally bit the bullet and want to take the test today at the fishing show. After no prep and taking 15 minutes to write the exam I ended up with a 35 out fo 50...not a pass. It turns out I saved money by not passing as it costs less to take the test online. I think I found out why. Now either module 1 is really tough, or the double chocolate stout that I am drinkng is more potent than I thought, but I am on my 4th attempt at module 1 and I keep doing worse. Being a teacher I am starting to feel for my students who do poorly on tests. I am at my witts end. Pretty soon I will stop forwarding and actually do the readings.

When I wrote mine I got 91%. That's 33 of 36 correct answers. I know that one answer was dead wrong and the other two were very debatable. The bottom line for me is that the card is necessary to drive a boat but it sure as heck doesn't make you a better boater. All of the accidents that you hear about these days..guess what, they all passed their boaters test. No folks, you can't legislate common sense. Oh, and guess what else..there's no central registry for that.

The whole process became more difficult with the changes they made last year. The exam is not as much of a joke as it used to be. Glad I got mine when I did.

yes took me 3 tries to pass last spring.clapping.gif 50 questions and need 80%. Buddy who took it previously also felt it was much more difficult than his version.

taking it online you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can even proceed to the next section, mandated so called apparently thinking you will

study that much more prior.

Edited by registerfly

If you want to be getting anything at all out of it, the best way is to go to a Canadian Power and Sail Squadron near you and take the course. You'll learn a heck of a lot more than doing the multiple choice answers in the online tests.

Example of the most rediculous question yet:

"what is the name of the white navigation light that shows in an unbroken light over an arc of 225 degrees dead ahead and 22.5 degrees abaft on both sides of the vessel"

Practically speaking, not many of us would ever need that light but we should know what it is.

Example of the most rediculous question yet:

"what is the name of the white navigation light that shows in an unbroken light over an arc of 225 degrees dead ahead and 22.5 degrees abaft on both sides of the vessel"

Its a masthead lite, Sheesh, even Google knew thatwhistling.gifw00t.gif