camping locations?

steverowbotham

Hey everyone, Kelli and I are planning a camping trip for mid September and looking for suggestions. I would like to be within 2.5hrs of barrie, preferably north. I need an electric site and a boat launch that allows the use of engines and of course, good fishing would be nice. Any suggestions? Right now we are looking at Mikisew where we have been before.

Does it have to be an electric site Steve? Launch at Hartley Bay just downstream of hwy 69 on the French River.

Lots of great water access sites in French River Provincial Park downstream of the hwy.

The ultimate is to travel down the western arm of the French, navigate through a couple of mild chutes to the delta of the Bad River (still part of French R. Prov. Park).

There's one island campsite in particular down there that would blow your mind.

Fishing is fantastic.

Steve, we have a seasonal trailer at Glenrock Trailer park in Sturgeon Falls. Glenrock

It is family oriented park that is well kept. There is a good boat launch and all of Lake Nipissing / upper French River to fish. It is close to the Sturgeon River and maybe Randy from Sturgeon will let you in on his "falleye" spots. It is a 5 minute boat ride with my 90hp Yam to the mouth of the French.

It that is too far I suggest Restoule Provincial park over Mikisew. Alot better fishing opportunitues at Restoule.

Hi all, it's been a long time since I last checked in here...

I've recently been to both Mikisew and Restoule in the last few years, and both are beautiful parks. If you book early enough, Restoule offers some AMAZING waterfront sites, some of whick I believe are electric. I mean, pull your boat right up to shore at your site and come and go as you please. Also, it gives you peace of mind being able to keep an eye on your boat while you're at your site. However, these sites are on the main lake side (Restoule), which is fairly busy and fishing seems slower than Stormy lake, which you also have acess to within the park.

Mikisew is also a fantastic park. My girlfriend and I camped there last summer (I still owe you all a report with pics). I loved Eagle lake. There is so much structure and Smallmout bass were all over the place. If you've been there, I'm sure you already know. I think we'll be going back to Mikisew this summer if vacation time pans out. Although the park offers some great sites, I don't believe there are any waterfront ones. Most people were leaving their boat on shore between the beaches, but I usually just pulled mine out at the end of the day. I'm really looking forward to going back there: I have a lot of Eagle Lake left to explore.

Hope this helps, but in my opinion you pretty much can't go wrong wherever you decide. There is nothing better than camping and fishing with your girl!

Sid Turcotte park in Mattawa,might be a little farther than you want but the fishing is good with lots of water to cover on the Mattawa and Ottawa rivers.I will even show you where to fish. :thumbsup_anim:

vance

Vance, never did get to meet up with you at White Birches. Hopefully Mattawa is good to you.

My vote is for the French as well, in a canoe or 'yak. Its beautiful, lots of exploring and full of fish, you could easily take no food and just survive eating fish and blue berries, providing the bears dont get to the berries before you do. Ask them about the "figure 8", 3 or 4 day trip.

Sid Turcotte park in Mattawa,might be a little farther than you want but the fishing is good with lots of water to cover on the Mattawa and Ottawa rivers.I will even show you where to fish. :thumbsup_anim:

vance

I would offer up some pretty decent fishing on the Mattawa as well. Know it well.

Martin river area just north of north bay has good camping, fishing and wilderness.

Restoule,great park , great waterfront sites,good fishing ,musky,bass,walleye,pike,lakers and whitefish. Clear and Stormy receive little pressure in july and august, mid september should be even less traffic. If you would like any info on what camp sites are best electric sites on the water just ask I have been going there for 23 years now and have stayed on them all. Right now I am booked there last 2 weeks in july on one of the best electric water sites.