Nip Walleye

Rod Caster

I woke up at 5am this morning. For no reason.... I just, woke up. The gf was sound asleep, I turned a few times, checked OFC and my thoughts were strong with Tony's family. After 30 minutes of sleeplessness, I gave up trying and quickly packed all my fishing gear and a half-assed sorry excuse for a lunch. 2 tuna cans, a pot of tea, a banana and one smoked herring.

100_0028-2.jpg

I arrived at my spot at 630 and watched the sun come up as I jigged my silver Worek spoon in 30 fow.

100_0037-1.jpg

100_0033-1.jpg

At 730, the fish woke up and began nibbling. A few perch and keeper sized walleye were iced and the action just got better from there. By 830 I had 10 walleye, a herring and several perch.

100_0027-2.jpg

100_0024-2.jpg

100_0021-1.jpg

100_0020-2.jpg

At 845 I missed a big fish. At 9, my line went limp as something took a good swing at my Worek. I set the hook and knew I have a big fish. Maybe a ling. As the fish approaches my 4"hole, things got dicey.... I though for sure I'd need some lube to get it through but I manage to softly pull it out. HUGE WALLEYE! I didn't measure it but I'm guess 25" and 6 or 7lbs. My biggest ever on Nipissing. Two quick photos and away she swam.

100_0025-1.jpg

100_0026-3.jpg

Once my Dad got wind of the good fishing, he rushed to the lake with some fresh minnows. We ended up icing over 50 perch another herring and another 10 walleye.

100_0012-2.jpg

Suprisingly, the evening fishing was slow, with only one keeper walleye caught by my buddy who showed up later in the day. The sun set and I dragged my tired butt home. Lots of cleaning ahead for this hombre.

Goodnight Nipissing.

100_0015-2.jpg

100_0038-2.jpg

Thanks for the great replies guys!

Simon: I agree, overall guys are doing well this year. This is great for the tourist industry here...thin ice down south and good walleye on Nipissing.

My goal for Nipissing every winter is to catch at least a couple 5+ lbs walleye. Even with a slow start (due to ice conditions) I think I might reach my goal again this year!