Open water Sturgeon Lake

Big Cliff

Where the Scugog River enters into Sturgeon Lake has just opened up in the last couple of days, that is several weeks ahead of the normal. Last week there were cars driving around out there. I have a feeling this could be the earliest ice out we have had in the eleven years we've been living here. Anyone venturing up this way, please be careful. Where there was ice one day, there is open water the next.

Just heard today that two guys were in their ice hut when it broke through the ice. Fortunatly they got out ok. Seems they opened up the locks in Lindsay allowing a lot of water to flow down the river which undermined the ice where their hut was. They were driving cars and truck out there just a couple of days before that.

I bet that open water is gone this morning, man is it cccoooooolllldddd out there

Two days of this cold and then back above normal again for a couple of weeks at least. Even the nights aren't getting (apart from last night and tonight) anywhare near as cold as they usually do for this time of the year.

Last year at this time we had a good 24" of ice out in front of our place, this year might be 14" and that is with no snow cover at all.

Good call Cliff. There's a spot I want to fish next week-end, I went first thing this morning to have a look...open water. Wouldn't surprise me one bit after the next 2 days its frozen next week-end, so I wanted to see today where it was at. Definitely not going there next Saturday!