Lake Nip G2G Report

Rod Caster

First and foremost I'd like to thank Blair for his FANTASTIC hospitality and hosting skills. Your shack was the perfect gathering place! Thanks for everything man! I'll be your wingman anytime. thumbsup_anim.gif

I apologize if I get any names wrong... I'm bad enough with names as it is, and with this board thing, we all have TWO names. haha.

First thing at the docks, drinking a extra-large-medium Tims tea at 740AM, I met up with two gentlemen who told me they read about the G2G, but were not from the board. Hey look, were famous!

Dan (Lota Lota) and Yoshi were first to arrive! We had a good chat and they made their way out. Them two troopers were going to stay in a tent on ice, so they had quite a bit of gear to haul.

Nick (NAW) and Jason (livingfishing) were the second group from OFC to arrive. They had time to meet with the next group before promptly dragging their equipment past the island and set up near Blair's shack. As I assumed greeting duties, I could hear them drilling holes by around 815AM. Can you see Nicks famous ice-chipper?

100_0002-1.jpg

100_0003-1.jpg

Tony (Motion) and his son Alexander (fishman2202) were the next group to arrive. After Alexander and I talked about our Mazda Rangers (haha) they set out on the slick ice and efficiently set up their pop-ups. I have to say that these two guys are top-friggen-notch in my books thumbsup_anim.gif It was great to meet you both! Those of us who couldn't catch a sloth in a closed room were asking Alex for fishing tips, but I'll get to that later.

100_0004-1.jpg

I waited another 15 mins but nobody else arrived so I loaded up and walked out. I clumsily drilled two holes with Nick's auger and set my lines. Within minutes, Nick is landing a nice herring and a small pike. Tony and Alex got two small walleye and slipped them back down the hole.

100_0005-1.jpg

Alex checking the depth.

100_0007-1.jpg

Nick then puts on a bit of a clinic as he pulls in 3 herring within 30 mins! I think he caught some perch and maybe a small walleye but I can't quite recall. Two of them were kept for a midnight snack... how were they Nick??

100_0006-1.jpg

100_0009-3.jpg

The G2G got into full swing as Blair and Kevin (spud) arrived with the minnows and started the heat in the shack. They pulled Kevin's nearby shack closer to Blair's, so we had a nice section of Callander Bay all to ourselves. Joey Tier, who I now refer to as Joey Tiger, thanks to Wormdunker (Brian)biggrin.gif , arrived in his peuter scooter and quickly drilled holes with what I think is the greatest hand auger out there! 6" Finbore with the curved blades! Like butter... I love the offset handles.

100_0012-1.jpg

Brian and Brian showed up with his BRAND NEW four wheeler with chains, had a chat with the group, then set their lines. This was his set-up later on in the day.

100_0026-2.jpg

The host with the most then lands into a decent pike

100_0014-1.jpg

100_0015-1.jpg

Here is Kevin's shack.

100_0016.jpg

Trouty (Ryan) arrived at some point and not long after, he tops Blair's pike and takes top spot in the "Biggest Fish" category of the derby.

100_0017-1.jpg

Hunger pangs abound, Duckdog (Nelson with his boy Carter) kindly lets us use his portable BBQ. We grilled up some burgs' and 'dogs and gathered around Blair's shack for lunch.

100_0018-1.jpg

100_0020-1.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0022.jpg

At this point, Nick leads the derby with most fish, Ryan has biggest and Joey Tiger had a small, gut-hooked walleye. The prizes went as such: Biggest walleye, perch, herring, pike get to pick a lure.

Biggest overall fish and most fish split the entire pot or $30 and lots of lures.

Here are some signatures inside Blair's shack. If you ever visit, you must sign!

100_0023-1.jpg

100_0024-1.jpg

Dan jigs up a little walleye!

100_0025.jpg

Brian (wormdunker) erases the white stripe with a decent pike!

100_0028-1.jpg

100_0029-2.jpg

At this point, around 4PM I believe, young man Alexander figures out the trick to catching the tight-lipped fish and puts on a clinic for everyone.

100_0031-2.jpg

100_0032-1.jpg

100_0033.jpg

On top of making the rest of us look like amateurs, he pulls in this beauty 20" walleye! Here's a short video. (I have no idea if this will work, there's no way I'm signing up a google account to use youtube.)

th_100_0037.jpg

100_0039.jpg

100_0040-1.jpg

Not to be outdone, the Tiger slams into this beast.

100_0041-1.jpg

The evening set it at this point and everyone who was still on the ice was focused on their lines. Unfortunately, prime time never quite materialised and only a few walleye were landed. Here's Joey with a good keeper.

100_0042.jpg

I kind of gave up once a few people left so I just wandered around for the remainder of the time. As I was sitting and talking with Nick and Jason, Nelson and Carter catch the FISH OF THE DAY ! A 23" Nipissing tank. My camera doesnt like the darkness, so the photos are bad, but you'll get the idea. Little Carter was very excited... I don't think he'll forget this fish anytime soon!cool.gifsmile.gif

100_0043.jpg

100_0044.jpg

So that is that for the fish and the G2G. I drove Nick and Jason to the docks to grab some gear and by the time we opened the truck doors, the weather had completely changed from pleasant and mild to extremely windy with horizontal snow. I'd like to hear how Dan and Yoshi (I hope I got the name right) survived and if we have to recover his tent somewhere on the shores of Callander Bay. I hope all went well.

Hopefully everybody had a safe drive home and enjoyed their time! I sure did. Thanks everyone.

Excellent job on the report Chad! Thanks for putting the time in to share it with everyone.

You may not have been lifting fish all day, but that's because you where bouncing all over the place running the derby, and taking lots of photos!

Thanx Chad, Nip for a great day! My expertise for hooking fish was off but the socializing was awesome. My buddy the "other Brian" also had a great time. He can't post right now cause he's on his way back to London. We travelled/ fished 12 hours Sat. for the M&G, slept a little bit then "HAD" to get up early to fish Nepawassi Lake a little south of Sudbury before he had to head home. I convinced him to register with OFC. He's "Pylon" & I'm sure u guys will be hearing from him. Once again thanx

Great report Chad. Thanks for taking the time from fishing to come running every time we had a fish on the ice. It got crazy when Alexander decided to put on a clinic. Can't say I didn't warn you he was going to kick butt. He ran out of daylight or he would taken the prize for most fish as well. Good to see that Nick had a great day.

All in all it was a fantastic day. Good fishing, good food and great friends. It doesn't get any better than that!

Again, thank you Blair for organizing the event, hosting and taking the time away from your fishing to make this a memorable event. Memories for life!!!

Cheers.

Thank you to Blair for hosting this event it was an awesome experience! You and chad did a great job of running the show and making sure everyone had an excellent time! If this is going on next year i would love to join in again. Nick thanks for letting me share the hut with ya it was a blast. To everyone else it was a pleasure meeting you all! That storm was a hoot...dan thanks for finding my bucket after it blew away! Did you end up finding your cover? Kevin all i caught were those pesky minnows....thats what i get for making fun of nick before we left :wallbash:

Thank you to Blair for hosting this event it was an awesome experience! You and chad did a great job of running the show and making sure everyone had an excellent time! If this is going on next year i would love to join in again. Nick thanks for letting me share the hut with ya it was a blast. To everyone else it was a pleasure meeting you all! That storm was a hoot...dan thanks for finding my bucket after it blew away! Did you end up finding your cover? Kevin all i caught were those pesky minnows....thats what i get for making fun of nick before we left

aww your skunk never went away? I was sure you'd get something at night....

SOunds like Karma bit you in the butt for making fun of Nick haha.

Here are a few more pics of Alexander's haul. He really kept us busy running back to his hut every time he landed one :blink:

This was his little walleye.

IMG-20120128-00236.jpg

A couple of shots of his nice herring.

IMG-20120128-00237.jpg

IMG-20120128-00238-1.jpg

Thanks to Rod Caster(Chad) for explaining how to post this images though photo bucket :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers.

Chad, if you put the camera down you might've caught something...

Should be fair to say that everyone had an excellent time. Nice to see a bigger turnout and slightly better fishing this year.

Obvious thanks to Blair for being an excellent host yet again. And nick, what time did you get that ling at? I was hoping to see you get one.

Added a few more herring and walleye to the weekend tally this evening.

Great report!

It was very nice to meet everyone and I was having a blast (before the storm started).

I actually did end up finding my cover. I knew where it should be at because all of the other things that blew away were in a straight line. On my way back once I paused driving in the area where I thought it would have been on the shoreline, and sure enough there was the cover wrapped around the wheel of someone's truck in their driveway. So yeah, it made it's way pretty high up on shore.

And nick, what time did you get that ling at? I was hoping to see you get one.

He was there when I woke up in the morning. I forgot to put the little hole de-icer thingies in, so the holes froze over really fast. He hit sometime in the night, my fish alarm went off, but I was to comfy to get out of bed to see what was down there. By the time he hit, the lines where froze in place, so the bells wheren't moving.

He was a tasty little critter. Eat him last night for dinner!

I found out when I got back home and unpacked, that I dropped a few of the lure that I won in the derby :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The "original" Jigga Whopper that Blair donated, and one of Chad's custom pickeral rigs. I was really looking forward to that, it looked like it would be perfect for the trench that I troll in the spring.

Ah well.. what can ya do. Considering what we went through the night before, I'm happy that all I lost where two lures.. Unfortunitly, they where the ones I was most looking forward to using.