How I make Salties

Leecher

Just thought I'd share how I make them since I had to do a batch tonight :) All you need is sheets of wax paper, pickling salt, ziploc bag and minnows.

First cut sheets of wax paper into 8" to 10" wide, stagger 4 to 6 minnows in the middle

DSC07469.jpg

Cover them with salt and don't be shy :lol:

DSC07470.jpg

Fold the paper over them and each side and place into ziploc bag

DSC07471.jpg

Make sure to remove air as much as possible from the bag and place into the freezer and that's it your done :)

When your ready to go fishing, take as many as you want... when you return, any left over can be place back into the freezer no problems :)

Tight lines

Leechman

When I had a bait shop years ago I would just dry them off on newspaper (paper towels add up) and then salt them with non iodine salt and bag them...we never froze them....they are preserved already with the salt....freezing them seems to make them mushy....try NOT freezing them and you will see they hold up better and for a LONG time.

But we did store them in the frig...

Edited by Billy Bob

Thanks for the info. That's a nice tidy technique.

I've never done it but my buddy catches minnows in the spring and then salts them. He puts a couple dozen in a sandwich ziploc bag and salts them heavily and freezes them. We then us the salties to chum holes when we ice fish. It really brings them in.

Salts is supposed to be a trigger for fish. A lot of the plastic baits now come packed in salt. I don't know if it's all hype but it does seem to bring the fish in. We have caught fish after chumming a hole that have a belly full of salties!

I am putting minnows in salt for couple days, after that I am washing them and drying on news paper for 30 minutes. All minnows are going to plastic box and in my fridge. I am not keeping them in freezer, because after freezer it's hard to keep them on the hook.

I am putting minnows in salt for couple days, after that I am washing them and drying on news paper for 30 minutes. All minnows are going to plastic box and in my fridge. I am not keeping them in freezer, because after freezer it's hard to keep them on the hook.

You should just leave them in the salt......put them in a plastic bag or whatever and place in the fridge.... everyone is making too much of salted minnows....DRY them off and place in salt, then place in fridge...nothing more really needs to be done.....except go fishing and catch a fish... :clapping:

Thanks for posting. I've been messing around with Salties for the past few years, and haven't got it just right yet.

I'm gunna do it your way from now on!

Your welcome Nick!!! I've been doing this for years now since up here, we can't use live bait... They preserve well in the freezer and when thawed, they're nice and firm... they don't become mush :)

such a good idea!

I'm def. doing this

Thank you thumbsup_anim.gif

Your welcome Manitou!!!

I havent try this yet, but thus this salties applied to smelt?? I have smelt in the freezer that I got from smelt fishing last spring... and which species do I used this from?? pike, laker or whitie?

thnks

bfisher

Bfisher, you can use smelt if you wish but not the ones that you have in your freezer... get a new batch. As for what species... I use them for pike, walleye, perch, trout, etc... They're good for all species of fish :)

I've used this method as well. I then break them up into smaller pieces to chum a hole. This does work while perchin. I chum a hole with a few salties & shortly afterward the bite is on. "Hold on with both hands"

:thumbsup_anim:

When I had a bait shop years ago I would just dry them off on newspaper (paper towels add up) and then salt them with non iodine salt and bag them...we never froze them....they are preserved already with the salt....freezing them seems to make them mushy....try NOT freezing them and you will see they hold up better and for a LONG time.

But we did store them in the frig...

Billy, they actually don't freeze completely and they don't turn to mush when taken out of the freezer. They are firm.

my question is why salt them at all? this was done back in the day so they wouldn't rot without freezing them. do fish like the salt or something? i just freeze mine for chumming salt free.

Hoppy, why not? plastic bait like Yum products are salt based... fish definitely like salt and I don't chum with them, I bait my hooks with them.

Thanks for the info. That's a nice tidy technique.

I've never done it but my buddy catches minnows in the spring and then salts them. He puts a couple dozen in a sandwich ziploc bag and salts them heavily and freezes them. We then us the salties to chum holes when we ice fish. It really brings them in.

Salts is supposed to be a trigger for fish. A lot of the plastic baits now come packed in salt. I don't know if it's all hype but it does seem to bring the fish in. We have caught fish after chumming a hole that have a belly full of salties!

Your welcome Homer!!! Salties works great for any species of fish. I use them only for hard water fishing to bait my hooks... come spring, I use live leeches or dew worm.

Cosmos, never had any issues putting them into the freezer... they're actually firm and keep very well on the hook.

THE SECRET IS FINALY OUT THERE! :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

i was wondering when you would share your SLATIES secret.

but know that i know it.

watch out HERE I COME!

trout AFTER brute AFTER beast after BIGGUN after REDS after WHITIES after BROWNS after CROMERS! HAHAHA

where do i buy the small minnows jaques ?

THE SECRET IS FINALY OUT THERE! :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

i was wondering when you would share your SLATIES secret.

but know that i know it.

watch out HERE I COME!

trout AFTER brute AFTER beast after BIGGUN after REDS after WHITIES after BROWNS after CROMERS! HAHAHA

where do i buy the small minnows jaques ?

LOL Kev!!! You can go to Dépanneur "Chez Ti-mine" on Jacques Cartier street along the Ottawa River :)

LOL Kev!!! You can go to Dépanneur "Chez Ti-mine" on Jacques Cartier street along the Ottawa River :)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :ninja:

i dont know that place iv never been there!

jaque do you still have some spare wood tip ups in your basement i might need an extra 5 , if so how much??????

Good tip my friend.

when I had minnows in the fish tank and they died (or died out on the ice in the bucket). I would take them and throw them in a margarine container full of salt. kept it in the garage and Sinclair and others that have used them can attest that they work.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :ninja:

i dont know that place iv never been there!

jaque do you still have some spare wood tip ups in your basement i might need an extra 5 , if so how much??????

Chez Willie Kev... you've been there many times ;):lol:

Just ask for the smallest ones and you're good to go :)

I have a few tops but no base... they're mine but for a good price, I might think about it :whistling:;)

Good tip my friend.

when I had minnows in the fish tank and they died (or died out on the ice in the bucket). I would take them and throw them in a margarine container full of salt. kept it in the garage and Sinclair and others that have used them can attest that they work.

Thanks Geoff!!! They sure do :thumbsup_anim:

thnks leechman... one more question, the smelt in my freezer, can I used them? or I have to get the fresh one?

Your welcome bfisher!!! I'd definitely get a fresh unfrozen batch :)

Just thought I'd share how I make them since I had to do a batch tonight smile.gif All you need is sheets of wax paper, pickling salt, ziploc bag and minnows.

First cut sheets of wax paper into 8" to 10" wide, stagger 4 to 6 minnows in the middle

DSC07469.jpg

Cover them with salt and don't be shy laugh.gif

DSC07470.jpg

Fold the paper over them and each side and place into ziploc bag

DSC07471.jpg

Make sure to remove air as much as possible from the bag and place into the freezer and that's it your done smile.gif

When your ready to go fishing, take as many as you want... when you return, any left over can be place back into the freezer no problems smile.gif

Tight lines

Leechman

cool but do they catch fish, I mean compared to live bait

Try this put a rock in a milk carton, put a scoop full of pinheads in the carton with water and freeze it. Then when u get out there, peel off the carton and put the rest down the hole. As they defrost, the minnows fall off and it lasts for a while. Never tried it, but i will on sunday.

Lovetofish

Isn't that much salt bad for their health?

No, not really... it harden their skins and firms them up good ;):lol:

cool but do they catch fish, I mean compared to live bait

They most certainly do Spouph... I've caught plenty of fish of different species with them B)

Try this put a rock in a milk carton, put a scoop full of pinheads in the carton with water and freeze it. Then when u get out there, peel off the carton and put the rest down the hole. As they defrost, the minnows fall off and it lasts for a while. Never tried it, but i will on sunday.

Lovetofish

Never tried this method before but sounds like chumming to me... could be good :dunno: If you try, let us know your results :)

And I thought you were making your own Rod Holders lol

:Gonefishing:

LOL Mike... Rod holders... now there's a possibility :)