How I make Salties

Leecher

I usually do about 10 dozen at a time. I just dump em in a large ziplock bag and add lots of coarse sea salt. After about 6 hours I drain off all the liquid and then add some more fresh salt to them and store in te fridge. The salt extracts any liquid from them so I like to pour it off then they dry out really nice. No rocket science here fellas, easier to make then a peanut butter sandwich. Been doing it this way for years, works good for big sucker minnows as well.

Isn't that much salt bad for their health?

If U have an under achieving thyroid gland your doctor will prescribe Eltroxin 0.5 mg. A much smaller fish probably only 0.1 mg per day & do not use salt at the dinner table. I explained to the doctor about the amount of salt in a bottle of beer, he threw his hands in the air & left!! HA HA

I've tried salted and unsalted smelt and have had better luck with unsalted smelt.

I freeze the smelt by placing them on a large flat plastic tray....not touching one another. I place the tray in the freezer and about 1 hour later, the smelt are frozen hard. I then place them in a plastic bag and then back in the freezer. The smelt remain separated and it's easy to to take the number of smelt you want to use.

I admit that when I added the salt, I almost immediately put the smelt in the freezer. Maybe I should have left the smelt in the frig for a day or two before freezing them and therefore let the salt penetrate more into the smelt.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the pics being removed... got Photobucket warnings about reaching bandwith quota and to go pro <_< The hits weren't even from this site :wallbash: never going to pay to host my pics anywhere on the web :angel:

Made the frozen minnows... But not gonna end up going fishing today :-(

Keep us posted of your results!!!

.... Been doing it this way for years, works good for big sucker minnows as well.

Been doing my version for the longuest time too and works for me ;)

Only 120 minnows allowed in possesion.

Not in Québec :)

I've tried salted and unsalted smelt and have had better luck with unsalted smelt.

I freeze the smelt by placing them on a large flat plastic tray....not touching one another. I place the tray in the freezer and about 1 hour later, the smelt are frozen hard. I then place them in a plastic bag and then back in the freezer. The smelt remain separated and it's easy to to take the number of smelt you want to use.

I admit that when I added the salt, I almost immediately put the smelt in the freezer. Maybe I should have left the smelt in the frig for a day or two before freezing them and therefore let the salt penetrate more into the smelt.

The reason I use wax paper... minnows don't stick to it ;):)

Edited by Leechman

Just thought I'd share how I make them since I had to do a batch tonight :) All you need is sheets of wax paper, pickling salt, ziploc bag and minnows.

First cut sheets of wax paper into 8" to 10" wide, stagger 4 to 6 minnows in the middle

DSC07469.jpg

Cover them with salt and don't be shy :lol:

DSC07470.jpg

Fold the paper over them and each side and place into ziploc bag

DSC07471.jpg

Make sure to remove air as much as possible from the bag and place into the freezer and that's it your done :)

When your ready to go fishing, take as many as you want... when you return, any left over can be place back into the freezer no problems :)

Tight lines

Leechman

How long does it take for the salties to be ready? Just a few days or 3 weeks?

Thanks for the recipe, I'm definitely going to try it out!