To save you from being the second dummmmy

irishfield

Made arrangements to meet up with Lloyd on Sunday over Coboconk way. He heard me coming off in the distance and was nice enough to get some holes drilled for me to use.

lloydlake1.jpg

Unfortunately my, ever trustworthy, Lowrance 102C decided to let me down and wouldn't power up. Not an issue, Lloyd had just bought a 67 off someone (to have as a spare) and let me use it for the day.

lloydlake2.jpg

Lots of fish marked.. and chasing our baits, but they won and we went home skunked but a great day out on the ice. (I'd better correct that.. I got skunked.. Lloyd got an OOSSMB)

On the way home I had to wonder who was winning the last round of hockey on Sparrow Lake, raising money for Princess Margaret's Sarcoma unit.

lloydlake3.jpg

Once I'd settled down from the "interesting" landing, in 40 gusting 55 here in the yard, and then finding oil pouring out of my engine compartment, which took 1/2 a gallon of varisol to clean off the belly of the plane....

I decided that I didn't have much to lose, with the 102C not working, and tore it apart.

lowrance1.jpg

Found some light corrosion on a few circuit board joints that appeared to be bridging a few spots on the board. Cleaned the board all up with some alcohol and Q tips, scubbing all the joints clean.

lowrance2.jpg

NOW... if you're gonna do something like this, stop now and put it back together!!! If I had of I'd have a nice working unit again.. but NO.. NO.. not Wayne, I had to see what everything else was about and got stupid and tore apart the "tin can".

lowrance3.jpg

Unfortunately when I did this the double sided tape in there pulled and stretched the gell cell somewhat. I cleaned it up and put it back together and ended up with this... damaged pixel cells.

lowrance4.jpg

If I hadn't pulled this apart she'd be just like new again... but now I've buggered the lower corner of the screen so I can't see the real time bar on the right side. I can still use it on split screen and use the zoom side, but not gonna be nice.

So with a big trip in the works in three weeks, I jumped on ebay and found another 102C for $200.. hope it gets here QUICK.

I've also found a supplier for the PD050OX1(LF) screen in China.. but I have to buy two of them.. $104 in my hands, once they get back from Chineese New Year! :wallbash: ... or does anyone know a local source (digi-key, newark, mouser are negatives)

Edited by irishfield

First off, nice to see you and "the captain" getting out on the ice. Leave it to him to be prepared with a second unit.

Guess, on the bright side, better you had the issues now then on your big outing in a few weeks. Definitely brave tearing her apart like that.

You could just fish old school Wayne. I seem to remember someone catching more fish than anyone else up there fishing old school :whistling::lol:

:lol: Funny, but, I noticed up at Nipissing last week, I caught as many fish while just leaning back and not looking at the Lowrance as I did while using it. That said, I would never go on the ice (other than 4-6 feet of water at LPB) without it!

Boys will be Boys, eh Wayne?whistling.gif I love taking things apart too. I always have extra parts when i put it back together thoughmellow.gif

Still cant figure out whydunno.gifw00t.gif

...note to self...no more appliance repair advice from Paul.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

man's curiousity can be dangerous eh? a few months back we took apart a buddies snowmobile to replace a seized steering column. since we had the motor out we figured we'd replace all the lines, clean the carbs, and rebuild the fuel pump.... fast forward to today and we're still trying to get it to run properly.

LOL Jacques... the "video game" helps put in the day!

Guess I was a week off on the hockey "rinks"... someone just practicing I guess.. it's this weekend on Sparrow for Princess Margaret Foundation. Their games are still on, while the deal at Deerhurst Resort is totally cancelled after some of their clearing equipment went through the ice yesterday! :w00t:

LOL Jacques... the "video game" helps put in the day!

Guess I was a week off on the hockey "rinks"... someone just practicing I guess.. it's this weekend on Sparrow for Princess Margaret Foundation. Their games are still on, while the deal at Deerhurst Resort is totally cancelled after some of their clearing equipment went through the ice yesterday! :w00t:

:lol: "video game" :lol: Hope that Deerhurst get safe ice for the event!