Simcoe Perch Report - January 19

ozaibak1

Hi everyone it's been a while since I've posted to the board, I haven't been fishing as much as I deserve to.

Got out to Virginia Beach yesterday for the first ice trip of the season, boy did I have an itch and did it ever get scratched!

Setup in 8 feet of water, ice thickness was about 6". First 30 minutes just some dinks I was like aww man not again, I want to move huts when I can. Then things changed.

First up was a big pike (for Simcoe) that came in but couldn't get to commit. Then non-stop jumbo action all day long!

The fishing kept getting better and better as the day went on, with average fish size increasing throughout the day. It got to the point where I was letting jumbos go by because they weren't jumbo enough. Kept my limit of 50, I now have delicious food for the winter.

Swedish pimples, my go to lure for winter ice fishing, really paid off. It was all I needed. Their weight let me get it in front of the jumbos before the dinks got a chance, and the fish were really excited by the flash.

The bag I took home at the end of the day musta weight like 40 pounds, I was joking I needed a snowmobile to transport it to the car. Then came the filleting. I wasn't looking forward to it as I'm a filleting noob but was committed to do every last fish. About 4 hours later they were all done, and I'm much better at filleting now.

A very rewarding experience, and I must say it may be my best and funnest fish outing ever! Seems like Simcoe's jumbo population may have grown, I didn't have too much success last year but it coulda been the luck of the draw.

A snow squall hit which was intense. All of a sudden the sky goes dark. I open the hut door 30 minutes later and there's snow everywhere! Was very cool.

Anyways enjoy the pictures and happy fishing to all:

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo1.jpg

Awesome! That's what I'm looking for too! A feed of perch to sustain my freezer... Maybe in a few weeks I'll hit my hot spot on nipissing.

Those are some real hogs too, how big is the biggest one? Probably around 15?

Biggest one is 13.5 or 14". It woulda been 15" if I caught one of the two I saw!

Awesome! That's what I'm looking for too! A feed of perch to sustain my freezer... Maybe in a few weeks I'll hit my hot spot on nipissing.

Those are some real hogs too, how big is the biggest one? Probably around 15?

hey Rodcaster. I'm new to Sudbury, was thinking of heading to Cache Bay Sunday for my first ever Nip trip. Is this a good spot? I love perchin. Shoot me an email if u have better spots. [email protected] Thanx for your help

Nice bunch of fish BK. Thanks for the report. Just a tip for you on freezing your fish. I put mine in freezer bags then fill with water making sure all the air is out then zip. Your fish will keep a lot longer.

x2,3x,x4,x5,x6..................keeps their fresh flavor and tenderness .