Science North - Sudbury NF

danbouck

I need to go to Sudbury for work in the next few weeks. I was thinking about bringing the family up and spending a day at Science North. My kids are 3 and 5, I am curious if it's geared towards older kids or not? It's looks like it will easily take a day to see everything.

Any input is much appreciated.

Dan

Its pretty much the same as the science center, so if they liked that they will like science north. I took mine around the same age a few years ago, and they enjoyed the day. We also went to the nickel mine but they were scared of that.

The 3 year old will probably have fun at the play area butt he rest of the exhibits are more geared towards the school aged kids. The 3D movie was kinda cool as well.

I took my two boys there at that age.....back then they measured the boys height and then put that in their computer with their birth dates and it told us how tall they would be when full grown (6' and 6' 1")....they hit the nail right on the head with both boys.... :clapping:

To be honest its one of those things that may be hit or miss. some willlove it some will be bored. However its also on the list of must do things with kids not in any order, and I am sure there are many things missing but as a parent you have an obligation to show your kids these things at least once if you live or frequent ontario...When kids see big things it opens there minds that there is more out there than youtube and school.

Polar bear swim in cochrane

Toronto Metro Zoo

CNE

CN Tower

Algonquin Park Museums

Canadas Wonderland

Rom

Science Center

Butterfly conservatory in Niagra

Walk under the Falls

Maid of the Mist

Marine land and pet a beluga or dolphin

African Lion Safari

Science North

Big Nickel

Rock Jambori in Bancroft

I took my two boys there at that age.....back then they measured the boys height and then put that in their computer with their birth dates and it told us how tall they would be when full grown (6' and 6' 1")....they hit the nail right on the head with both boys.... :clapping:

Bob, it's funny you mention that. We went on a family trip back when I was 13 or so.. My parents didn't believe it when they said I'd be 6'3 (Everyone else in my family is short) but they were right!

we did the same when our 3 were 8,5,and 2 at the time. The 2 boys one 8,the other 2 were to be 6'3 and 6'1 .

the girl was to be 5'8. Well now the oldest is 17 and is 6'2 and my daughter at 14 is at 5'6.5 so pretty close but both were late bloomers so there is still a chance to be dead on. The youngest is only 11 so it will be awhile yet to see but i think it will be very close also.

being from sudbury, a trip to science north was a yearly school tripas a kid, so i've had more than my fill.

But i would absolutely recommend it to anyone who's never been. Also i've never seen an imax i didnt like.If you get a chance go see "Wildfires" in the cavern, its awesome. Heck when else will you get to pet a porcupine or a beaver... errrr.... ya i said it

I got a family membership to the Ontario Science Center (OSC). Then I visited Science North for free - the membership works up there too. I go to the Science Center about 10 times a year. (I get the gold membership - free parking and free IMAX movies at the science center.) Science North only gives you free admission with the membership to the OSC, (parking and IMAX is extra.) IMAX movies travel around so you can catch the movies at the OSC.

The membership also got us into the science center in Montreal.

Science North is beautiful. It sits on top of a great rock, right on a fault line. The kids loved the butterly place. There are some awesome demonstrations. We went there 2 consecutive days and saw a demo on "Dancing Fire" and "Bats". There is a computer lab on the top floor - and the kids will love the games loaded on the computers. There is a big pile of Lego to play with. My personal favorite was the "globe" on the first floor that animated the world's weather and volcanic activity (that might have been part of a traveling exhibit.)

Jiggy

You've been to Sudbury Bob? I didn't know that. I wonder if we ran into each other.

Gotta learn more...PM sent

Edited by fishNwire

Absolutely you should go there.

It's not the cheapest way to spend a day. It is a tourist attraction after all, so they sort of "see you coming", if you know what I mean. If they still have the "Snowflake Room"...don't eat there unless you like big bills for mediocre food.

If you've never been underground in a real mine and always wanted to experience it...don't bother going to Big Nickel Mine. They took a few liberties with the name, it being neither "big" nor an actual "mine". (Granted, the "Big Nickel" itself is pretty big.) You and your kids might get a little kick out of it, but to people who have worked in the actual mines it is mocked up to represent, it is a bit of a joke. Also, unlike Science North, there's only about two hours (max) of stuff to see there.

I'd be very interested to hear what kind of time you and your family have in Sudbury, and at Science North, should you go. Let us know.

I assume you have contacts from work who know the city and can help you with whatever you need, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you require the assistance of a "local yokel".

Have fun...watch out for bikers! ;)

You've been to Sudbury Bob? I didn't know that. I wonder if we ran into each other.

Gotta learn more...PM sent

I think we did....I was standing there outside the Science Center waiting in line and this guy next to me was talking about building this Ice Resort that would blow away all other ice huts....LOL... :D