Easy Vented Ice Hut Heater CHEAP build TONS of HEAT

TeamFDT

Hello Lads,

Just wanted to share how I made a vented Propane furnace using a mini $20.00 BBQ from Canadian Tire. First off, gut it, like take everything out even the burner, but put aside, I then added a ban of sheet metal about 8 inches wide and the total length of the inside of the BBQ make it 2 inches longer so you can lap it and fasten it together, I bolted this metal following the shape of the BBQ 1 inch down leaving 7 inches sticking up. I added some heat shields to deflect the heat (but B4 you do this I advise putting the burner back in) I would stop each shield 2 inches from the end and have on a slight angle upwards to allow the heat to travel, I did this twice making the heat zig zag. Anyhow I cut a 3" hole at one end on the lid and bolted the lid to the ban of metal I used to make it sit higher, (it's a real pain reaching in and holding the nuts to bolt it together, but rivets will not work nor will TAP CONS) I then used HIGH Temp Silicon to get rid of any leaks. Now leave the bottom of the BBQ the way it is with the air vent holes, you can build a metal box around them and have a direct vent to the outside, but really it's not worth it. I then attached 3" metal chimney to the lid, when you cut your hole make tabs and bend them upwards so you have something to join your chimney too, I used tap cons as the area is small and their is no real pressure + High Temp Silicon. I have since added 5 inch duct pipe around the outside of the chimney pipe and I have a duct hole on the bottom of this pipe ontop of the BBQ cover and a intake vent at the top on the inside of my hut near the roof. I use a 12volt computer fan connected to a solar panel to take the hot air that sits at the top of my hut, push it into the 5 pipe covering the 3 inch chimney, the chimney gets hot, so this re-heats the existing air and pushes it over the top of the lid of the HOT BBQ spreading a nice warm air flow around the hut. Any questions email me as I have no idea how to post pics. Total Cost New mini BBQ $20.00 or used $5.00 I had 3 extra's Chimney Home Hardware $5.49 per section (36") I needed 3. High Temp Silicon $12.00 Bolts I had, Tap Cons I had, scrap tin from Duct work. I can heat my 10' X 8' X 6.5" high hut in about 8 mins.

The good thing too, these BBQ's have Low, Med, High settings.... Oh I used the same legs and bolted them to the floor, I ran out of washers so I used Beer caps to screw the legs down in place.

Cheers!

Hey Mikey - better introduce yourself, inquiring minds wanna know! Make yourself a new post saying hi. I got razzed about it when I first started posting and it turned into a lot of fun.

Michael

He's been a member since 2010....I'd think he introduced himself then?????

He's been a member since 2010....I'd think he introduced himself then?????

I've known him forever - look at his post count, most of them were today. He's quite the guy along with being one of my suppliers - the rest he should tell you himself.

Michael

I just use a 2 burner stove from walmart.

It's not a coleman but similar and it's stainless steel.

Also use it to cook breakfast,lunch& dinner,and the coffe is always fresh and hot. :thumbsup_anim:

I also run a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector so I dont have to worry about waking up in the morning.

okay I'll have my wife take some pic's I can't figure the camera out. But if your local and wana see it in person, call me 1.877.B8N.HooK = 1.877.286.4665 I'm on Washburn Island on Lake Scugog, (for those that don't know it's not an Island) if you visit by sled stick close to the shorelines as the lake has open areas.

P.S. How do I post pictures????? I can show a cheap drawing of what I did and I'll get a pic of the finished unit.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by TeamFDT

okay I'll have my wife take some pic's I can't figure the camera out. But if your local and wana see it in person, call me 1.877.B8N.HooK = 1.877.286.4665 I'm on Washburn Island on Lake Scugog, (for those that don't know it's not an Island) if you visit by sled stick close to the shorelines as the lake has open areas.

P.S. How do I post pictures????? I can show a cheap drawing of what I did and I'll get a pic of the finished unit.

Cheers,

Mike

I would like pics too. Best bet is to post your photos to a site like photobucket or imageshack and then just send the http to your photo or photo album. This way, a person can zoom the image etc.

I just use a 2 burner stove from walmart.

It's not a coleman but similar and it's stainless steel.

Also use it to cook breakfast,lunch& dinner,and the coffe is always fresh and hot. :thumbsup_anim:

I also run a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector so I dont have to worry about waking up in the morning.

Skeeter, I think I seen somewhere (Holmes Inspection's) that according to the "code" if you have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector you MUST install a sprinkler system too.... :)

Awesome, I like ideas like this. I'm always tinkering in my garage to fab most of my equipment. Suggestion email your pix to a member who knows how to post pix. In turn this person could post them on your behalf. Just be careful that other person may want to claim your invention as theirs. HA HA

Awesome, I like ideas like this. I'm always tinkering in my garage to fab most of my equipment. Suggestion email your pix to a member who knows how to post pix. In turn this person could post them on your behalf. Just be careful that other person may want to claim your invention as theirs. HA HA

Well I am going to use Yola to post the pic's then upload the link, I think this will work. If someone wants to claim it, no biggy, it's not like I am selling plans how to make them, I just wanted to share the idea with other fishermen/ladies etc You can also cook on the top as it gets VERY HOT! Here's another idea I use, instead of buying those pricey cleats, I just use 3/8" Tap con hex heads in the bottom of my winter boots, as the tread is thick so no leaks and GREAT TRACTION! on the bare ice. Cost $2.99 Vers $29.99 I guess you can say I'm cheap!

Cheers!

Tell you's what, when I'm not manufacturing Fishing products and I'm not fishing I'm bored to death, supply me everything and I'll make them for you free, but if your gonna come and watch your buying the beers :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by TeamFDT