We Laughed When They Told us This in 70's

bushart

Neat video .... whether its a great idea or dumb idea that remains to be seen , but as they said at the end of the video …when the mainstream carmakers choose a direction of technology its hard for the small guy to convince a change of thought

I have driven the Volt and was impressed, its not for me but certainly for urban commuters it has its application. As with anything new in production , tweaking and refinement on the batteries will only get better (lighter and longer lasting). The good thing is that manufacturers are spending more on R&D.

The next ten years cars will come with more in-dash technology than you can ever imagine (infotainment), and somehow they will convince everyone that they need to have it … LOL

Until there is a worldwide shift away from coal, these so-called "zero emission" vehicles are entirely pointless, and in fact, create MORE pollution than a modern internal combustion engine.

Flame away, but it's the truth.

For EVs and Hybrids I agree because of the batteries but can running a compressor to fill those air tanks really create as much pollution as a car doing 120 miles (bearing in mind that most cars in India are non-catalysed antiques).

My concern would driving around in a fibreglass box bolted to six aluminium pipes with 3 compressed air tanks at 4300psi underneath me, I know they're designed to vent forwards and backwards in the event of failure buit all that energy has to go somewhere. Tata tried to get a city car into Europe a few years ago and it failed every crash test woefully, I can't see this fairing any better.

Well couple times they mentioned solar..but it's a start

I was just sharing a story about something kind of neat----not trying to start WWIII on wether or not it's a good idea or the pro's and cons of climate change and co2

Bushart - sorry :) The technology is fascinating and the Australian application for forklifts etc. seem much more viable

This should do the embedding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud1ofQVm6Fw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

For EVs and Hybrids I agree because of the batteries but can running a compressor to fill those air tanks really create as much pollution as a car doing 120 miles (bearing in mind that most cars in India are non-catalysed antiques).

Electric cars/Hydrogen cars/Compressed air... its all the same concept, the energy still comes from a power plant which is most likely powered by fossil fuels. New power plant running on natural gas or other clean fossil fuels are more efficient and cleaner than an otto or a diesel engine. But energy storage adds extra ineffciencies to the equation. So you have Power Plant ineffeciency (40-50%)x Storage mean inefficiency (25-80%) vs Engine inefficiency (30%). <--- just some rough numbers. In the end its very hard to say which one is more efficient or cleaner without doing a study. They're probably equally bad.

Yup a car that runs on air---going into manufacturing in India

Another company in Austrailia working on it as well

I don't know how to do links--maybe somebody can help out?

I though for sure you were gonna say the leafs were winning the cup..............