Filtering threw the perch

mike rousseau

Hey

I was wondering what presentations/baits everyone likes when trying to ice big perch...

More specifically... When getting perch as fast as you can drop your line... But only 1/20 is decent...What do you guys do to up your average size of perch... Or should I say trigger the big ones and deter the little ones...

I like the smaller sizes of jigging rapalas... And some various small spoons...

But even then it was still steady dinks... And I could see bigger perch down the hole...

I'm hoping you simcoe anglers chime in here... You guys know big perch...

Thanks...

Mike

Sorry Mike i can't tell you that secrit , its some thing that gets handed down from generation to generation in familys who grew on tha banks of the ST Lawrence before you came along ........ lol... lol . No .... i realy don't have the answer other then learning where the big ones are and only fish them there . Here on Simcoe i know some guys kinda know this and go to their spots and seem the bring only those back , this summer i moved around out there alot and now i have a few choice's spots that will produce the same thing every time , but even still its like 4 in 10 in your good holes . Down home there it was always futher east to the big perch , but who knows where now ? The people i talk to from over your way think its not the same as years ago , i don't k now , i just use the same old set up that they used for years down there which is realy hard to find up here at this end .

Edited by Skipper " D "

It's been my experience, that small Perch trigger the bigger one's to bite. Because of the competitive nature and the fight for food, I have found and verified this watching Perch on my buddy's camera. The small one's are aggresively chasing food, the larger one's will simply watch. The feeding frenzie created by the dinks, triggers the large one's to bite. I like to see small one's on Simcoe, it tells me, that biggin's aren't far away.

HH

If you only want big ones...move to find them. I don't keep a lot of fish so the dinks really don't bother me that much. From my experience though there is no magic bait that will keep the small ones away. Those aggressive little buggers hit everything.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

If you only want big ones...move to find them. I don't keep a lot of fish so the dinks really don't bother me that much. From my experience though there is no magic bait that will keep the small ones away. Those aggressive little buggers hit everything.

I usually find the bigger ones are the aggressors.. As soon as I drill a hole, it's usually the big ones I'll ice first, then a steady stream of smaller ones. I just move at this point and repeat the process.

Both the above are bang on. Most my perching experience is on Simcoe however this train of thought worked last year on a kawartha lake for me too.

Year classes school together. If you get dinks, move. Plain and simple. Some guys have fished with me on the ice here for perch, I like to drill holes. :)

Most the time when you do get into true jumbos they are using a different bottom. Recently on Simcoe anyways, find some weed/cabbage in deeper water the better, the bigguns are around sucking in the shrimp.

For baits, I like the Lindy Darters and Powerbait & Gulp baits (minnows, fisheads and especailly the fish frys while they are feeding on the shrimp ;))

Edited by Harrison

i understand what your sayin about schooling fish being the same size... but like i said... i can see the big perch mixed in with the little ones down the hole...

the only affective technique ive found is staying hunched over the hole all day...looking into my hole... pulling my bait away from little ones and allowing the bigguns time to attack it.... but as a lot of you probably know... this doesnt feel to good on the back...

im also limited as far as moving around and finding other schools of fish or other areas to fish... the st.lawrence river doesnt get a lot of safe ice...

so in MOST situations i have to work threw 100+ dinks to get 5-10 nice perch to take home...

i understand what your sayin about schooling fish being the same size... but like i said... i can see the big perch mixed in with the little ones down the hole...

the only affective technique ive found is staying hunched over the hole all day...looking into my hole... pulling my bait away from little ones and allowing the bigguns time to attack it.... but as a lot of you probably know... this doesnt feel to good on the back...

im also limited as far as moving around and finding other schools of fish or other areas to fish... the st.lawrence river doesnt get a lot of safe ice...

so in MOST situations i have to work threw 100+ dinks to get 5-10 nice perch to take home...

It seems thats the way Mike

Mike, under those conditions the only thing I can recommend is my can of peas approach....then just net the larger ones... :rofl2:

Good Luck,

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

Funny , thats what every says , i'll try to PM you a picture here in a bit , first have to see if i have a new one in a package in the tackle box .

I've used the green ball method for years... some days it works incredibly well, some days, not a sniff... so go figure!

HH

I've used the green ball method for years... some days it works incredibly well, some days, not a sniff... so go figure!

HH

Same here HH , the odd day nothing , genraly on that day it was the same for every one eles too ... nothing , i go home with nothing saying they did'nt bite today ............. then the next BANG .......lol

i have to work threw 100+ dinks to get 5-10 nice perch to take home..

that sounds like a perfect morning. Lots of action and enough to take home for a snack! For me, I never take home more than 10-15, but do enjoy the nonstop action the little ones provide

that sounds like a perfect morning. Lots of action and enough to take home for a snack! For me, I never take home more than 10-15, but do enjoy the nonstop action the little ones provide

it is fun getting fish as fast as you can get your line down... and i would never complain about that... im just looking to get some extra jumbos...

i guess i should have worded it better...

these "nice" perch i speak of are about 10-12 to the pound of fillets... im used to 7-8 to the pound during softwater... 5-6 on great days...

in 100 perch i might get 1 or 2 that are the size i would like to keep... i kept the smaller ones cause im itchin to eat some perch... and so is the rest of my family...