snowblower troubles

Rizzo

Went out to use the snowblower tonight and found that one side was not working properly (auger on one side wouldn't turn under load). When I cleared all the snow from it that had piled up I found I could turn that side of the auger manually (machine off of course mama didn't raise no dummy)but the side that worked I couldn't spin it freely. I recall when I bought it that there was a shear pin mentioned. Does this sound like a shear pin issue? If it is, then there must be separate shear pins for each side.

YES !

On mine there are two bolts/shear pins that go through the power shaft and lock it to the auger blade. If one falls out/ gets sheared off etc. that side won't turn.

Find the holes and replace the pin ...On mine I have use a 1/4 x 20 machine screw in a pinch.

Garry2rs

Send me a pm of the make and model rog. I,ll pick one up for ya and drive it it to ya.

Ya it,s a shear pin.

Misfish seems to the the Angel here. Big cliff will chime is soon (he's good) We have great bunch ready to help.

I've learned to start the blower in early November just in case.

You will be fine.

Man am I glad to hear you guys think its a shear pin. Thanks for the offer Brian but you don't need to drive one all the way out here (unless you're hitting a certain river tomorrow :Gonefishing: ) The model is a Yardpro 10.5 hp 30". I lived in Barrie a few years without one, then one year (4 or 5 years ago) it just snowed and snowed and snowed, like 30 cm's at a time each time. By the time I decided to finally buy in late February everywhere (except Walmart)was sold out of snowblowers. Brian if you're heading west tomorrow let me know and I'll tell you where I'll be fishing, maybe we can meet up.

Yep, shear pin.

Pop into CTC and pick up a replacement and you're good to go.

My blower is a pain as it has 6 shear pins!!! One for each piece of flighting.

My driveway is gravel and I usually end up replacing 2 or 3 at the beginning of each winter until there is a good base down.

Did you buy it new? Many snow blowers come with spare shear pins when you buy them. On your blower there is a small black plastic box between the engine and the discharge shute, it is right on top of the belt cover assy. and you will probably find spare pins in there. The part number you need is 188243 and that includes the pin and nut.

Failing that, I have some here that will fit but don't use a hardened bolt in there, shear pins are desigined to let go before you cause damage to the gear box.

Yes don't use a bolt.

Years back on a snowblower my father had it kept breaking the shear pin on the drive shaft for the wheels. He replaced it with a bolt.

The replacement wheel drive shaft wasn't worth the $'s the time it would have been to replace a few shear pins.

Removed the chains on the wheels and the problems were gone.

...not sure what an assy is but this sounds like a good idea. I'll check for spare parts in there

assy = assembly it will be black plastic the spare parts box has a lid on it that just lifts open. Those snow blowers are shipped from the manufacturer with a couple of spare shear pins and two wrenches for changing them. let me know how you make out.