Busted For Fire Hydrant Backyard Ice Hockey Rink

kickingfrog

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/friends-busted-using-fire-hydrant-backyard-ice-hockey-rink

Friends Busted For Fire Hydrant Backyard Ice Hockey Rink

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:56 amWritten by: Ben Maller

It sounds like a Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson comedy: Best friends decide to make a backyard ice hockey rink, end up stealing water from a school fire hydrant and get nabbed by cops. Only this isn't some Hollywood production, it's reality!

Police caught two buddies illegally using water from a fire hydrant in order to make a really cool backyard ice rink. Tony Nelin and Timmy Ryan, each 20 and from the suburbs outside Chicago, thought it would be "productive" to have the ice rink over the frigid winter months in Tinley Park.

One of the kid's parents signed off on building the backyard rink for $350.

The innovative youngsters, along with a couple of other friends, began filling it with water from a garden hose last week. After close to four hours, they decided it was going be too expensive. The friends borrowed 250 feet of fire hose from a relative who works for the fire department to finish the rink framed with lumber. The homemade frozen pond even includes a penalty box, according to the Chicago Tribune.

ThePostGame brings you the most interesting sports stories on the web.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to read them first!

These puck lovers would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for a meddling school janitor. The custodian at Tinley Park High School discovered the fire hose connected to a running fire hydrant on school property and called police. Officers used expert detective skills, following the hose through a wooded area and right to the 91' by 43' partially frozen backyard ice rink.

Nelin and Ryan were given citations for tampering with a school fire hydrant. With a court date next month, they're expected to have to pay for the water. Both accused water thieves didn't think it was a big deal. "I really just thought it was water," Nelin said. "I didn't think it was this big of a problem."

The Chicago Tribune reports they used an estimated 26,000 gallons. That's a lot, but in the end the expected bill for the water will be close to $130 dollars. The good news is that they will be able to keep the backyard rink because it was built on private property, and therefore it doesn't need a special building permit.

The four friends plan to split the expected fine and water fee.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/friends-busted-using-fire-hydrant-backyard-ice-hockey-rink

Friends Busted For Fire Hydrant Backyard Ice Hockey Rink

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:56 amWritten by: Ben Maller

It sounds like a Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson comedy: Best friends decide to make a backyard ice hockey rink, end up stealing water from a school fire hydrant and get nabbed by cops. Only this isn't some Hollywood production, it's reality!

Police caught two buddies illegally using water from a fire hydrant in order to make a really cool backyard ice rink. Tony Nelin and Timmy Ryan, each 20 and from the suburbs outside Chicago, thought it would be "productive" to have the ice rink over the frigid winter months in Tinley Park.

One of the kid's parents signed off on building the backyard rink for $350.

The innovative youngsters, along with a couple of other friends, began filling it with water from a garden hose last week. After close to four hours, they decided it was going be too expensive. The friends borrowed 250 feet of fire hose from a relative who works for the fire department to finish the rink framed with lumber. The homemade frozen pond even includes a penalty box, according to the Chicago Tribune.

ThePostGame brings you the most interesting sports stories on the web.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to read them first!

These puck lovers would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for a meddling school janitor. The custodian at Tinley Park High School discovered the fire hose connected to a running fire hydrant on school property and called police. Officers used expert detective skills, following the hose through a wooded area and right to the 91' by 43' partially frozen backyard ice rink.

Nelin and Ryan were given citations for tampering with a school fire hydrant. With a court date next month, they're expected to have to pay for the water. Both accused water thieves didn't think it was a big deal. "I really just thought it was water," Nelin said. "I didn't think it was this big of a problem."

The Chicago Tribune reports they used an estimated 26,000 gallons. That's a lot, but in the end the expected bill for the water will be close to $130 dollars. The good news is that they will be able to keep the backyard rink because it was built on private property, and therefore it doesn't need a special building permit.

The four friends plan to split the expected fine and water fee.

Pay for water??? What's that???? What's next....air!!!

Newer style fire hydrants are self draining but older models weren't and when they were used some of the water remains inside and in cold weather they freeze solid and can't be opened when needed by the Fire Department in an emergency.

After being used the remaining water can be pumped out but if not, serious problems can arise.

I've been to more than a few fires where hydrants are frozen solid and unusable and very valuable time is lost trying to find one that is operable.

If the hydrant in this story is an old model and nobody is notified to drain it, there could be problems thru the cold months if it's needed in a hurry.

Sometimes it's good to know both sides of a story.

And FWIW, if you have a hydrant on your property, keep the snow shovelled away from it and also dig a path out to the road to make it more easily accessible when needed fast.

Oh NO....they stole precious water right next to the largest fresh water supply in the world.... :rolleyes:....what will we do.

Other then what Lew pointed out.....SO WHAT....they wanted to play some hockey....I have seen inner city kids do this EVERY summer in Buffalo and elsewhere and NO one was ever arrested or held accountable to pay for the water.... :whistling:...for God's sake, this is not the desert where water is at a premium....

If I was the judge, the punishment would be to let handicap children use the ice once a week for the rest of the season....I would much rather have these young adults doing this then hanging on the street corner dealing/looking for drugs.

I have always said....find things for the kids to do or they will find things to do that you will NOT like...that has worked for my boys quite well.

Bob

Oh NO....they stole precious water right next to the largest fresh water supply in the world.... rolleyes.gif....what will we do.

Other then what Lew pointed out.....SO WHAT....they wanted to play some hockey....I have seen inner city kids do this EVERY summer in Buffalo and elsewhere and NO one was ever arrested or held accountable to pay for the water.... whistling.gif...for God's sake, this is not the desert where water is at a premium....

If I was the judge, the punishment would be to let handicap children use the ice once a week for the rest of the season....I would much rather have these young adults doing this then hanging on the street corner dealing/looking for drugs.

I have always said....find things for the kids to do or they will find things to do that you will NOT like...that has worked for my boys quite well.

Bob

They make ice rinks in the summer too?!?!? Dang those Buffalo kids are innovative....or maybe it's all the lake-effect you guys get...didn't realize it was that bad....sarcasm.gif

They make ice rinks in the summer too?!?!? Dang those Buffalo kids are innovative....or maybe it's all the lake-effect you guys get...didn't realize it was that bad....sarcasm.gif

Oh johnnyb, you had to mention "Lake-Effect" didn't you....we have been skating on thin ice here without any snow and now you, yes you ruined it....if we get a storm this weekend I will hunt you down like a woodchuck....thfudd.gif

130$ split between a few friends is pretty good for some backyard hockey rink fun.

$130.00 will not even get you a half hour of ice time in most indoor arena nowadays -

Sounds like a good deal for several hours (hopefully) of fun & exercise amoung friends......