OOS fish pics

Master of Bait

On a similar note, and I'm serious here, does anyone think the bass population is starting to get out of control? Just curious what your thoughts are.

Joey

They are spreading their range and increasing in numbers due to a warming trend. A friend has a camp up towards Timmins - one lake never had smallies. 8-9 years ago you would catch the odd one, if any. The last time I fished it was a few years ago and there were quite a few. Some people suspect they were illegally introduced and it spread from there, but no one really knows.

I know there's a couple reports out there showing the trend the Kawarthas are following favours warmer water species like bass, bluegill over walleye (but everyone's hell bent on blaming crappie for the walleye decline).

It's also something they are looking at in Algonquin. Rockbass have become an unwelcome guest in some parts of the park and smallie numbers appear to be spiking. Both species will really hammer baitfish numbers and diversity, which will effect trout stocks.

I fish Moon River a lot and found that bass are everywhere, and the numbers just keep increasing every year! During pike opener hard to catch pike without hooking into a couple bass, and I found that the walleye are harder and harder to come by. So the bass populations are definately going up! Like Raf said it is best to save the pics of OOS fish for your personal photo album and not post them so that they don't stir up the pot in this highly sensitive topic. Tight Lines everyone!

Happens in Nipissing Joey. Most target Pickerel and keep them. Bass are usually tossed back in..Its got to upset the balance. Tons of smallies in Nip.

I hear ya. The west end can seem like bronzeback central. Reproduction is through the roof - hasn't been a year in recent memory in which it didn't seem there were tons of little guys. Not uncommon to sit on a small shoal or off a rock bed and hook into 20 or more 1-3yr fish. The 1lb'ers make for good eats but I don't know how many keep them or know how to get into them.

You've likely been fishing the lake quite a bit longer than me, Nip. Were there always as many smallies?

why post them at all? commit them to memory and your personal photo album and leave it at that. they are OOS.

im guessing because this is a fishing website and people like to share their catches? it isnt illegal to have pictures of an oos fish so why do some members feel that they have to look down upon the person posting?

remember what you're mother said when you were a kid?

"if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" ;) unless they are breaking the law...then give em all ya got :thumbsup_anim:

No difference. Both are illegal to possess.

Yes ....but it is not illegal to catch and release a non-slot size walleye while fishing for walleye that are in season? You are just not allowed to keep it.

However it is illegal to target, possess, mishandle , not return to the water immediatly a fish that is OOS

Both illegal but for different reasons.

I'm sure any lawyer could bend and manipulated the terms and language for it (the rules) to have several different meanings.

Common sense and respect for the rules has to be part of the process as well.

Matt

Edited by muskymatt

seems people just make up the regs to suit their cause..

the wording is the same for slot fish and OOS fish the word is immediately

fuc.jpg

and everyone know you can't target them or harm them..that has nothing to do with taking a picture of a fish

people throw all this other crap into their post to try to confuse and trick you into believing something that is just not a fact...there is no law against anyone taking a picture of a fish of any kind

oh and they tell you to read the tips on releasing fish

they tell you to take a quick picture...

Edited by Terry

Good question Northhunter. There have always been good quantities of smallmouth at the east end but it seems I am catching more of them in the pickerel spots in the last few years. I believe the numbers of pickerel have been decreasing due to large numbers of ice fishermen in recent years.

Guest Trophymuskie
If it were illegal to take a picture of an OOS, it would also be illegal to take pictures of fish that are NOT IN THE SLOT! How many pictures have you taken of musky that were not legal for possession????

Rick you are correct but you are talking apples and oranges here. Taking a picture of a fish during the season is definitely less harmfull then during the closed season. As well one has to handle the fish to measure it to verify that it is in the slot or undersized. No where near the same. It is the same as catching and releasing a non slot or legal to keep fish.

I guess one has to have morals to understand the damage caused to a fisheries by the overhandling of OOS fish.

Like Dan mentioned why take pictures of fish that don't count.

Edited by Trophymuskie

again people make up the regs and the law of nature to suit their own crap

the fact is most fish are OOS in the spring when the water is cold, fish being cold blooded do much better and survive abuse much better in cool temps then the warmer summer temps, as do muskie, but of course you know that

They're out of control up here Joey. Darn things are everywhere and nobody fishes for them. Seriously. I can't remember ever hearing anyone that I know saying that they're "going for bass" this weekend. Or Pike for that matter. There's tons of both up here but few people target them.

I agree with ya Dan... As far as I know, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, they are an invasive species in the far north. For example, Wickstead Lake. I have a buddy who fished that lake for years and never caught any bass.. One day I was up there and caught not one but two... he didn't believe me.. said there was no way there was bass in there... now theres plenty.

Its also a northern (and this is a generalization) thing to only fish for trout or pickeral, pike and bass are often left out.. I only started targeting bass recently after I found out how much fun they were to fish for. I do target pike alot, mainly cause they are nice and easy to catch... lol

Ill be doing alot of fishing where both Pike and Bass are open year round, and will be keeping and eating the bass till they start to get wormy... uuuuchhhh

As for the OOS fish debate... which we have had many many times before... I personally see it as a nitpicky argument on both sides, (I hope I don't get fired for saying this like Imus...) and to be honest the first time this came up in a thread years ago I thought someone was pulling my leg about the whole thing, I couldn't believe how serious both sides take the issue.

But they do..... so its best just to keep the pictures off the board and agree to disagree and get on with some different constructive conversations...

Guest Trophymuskie
again people make up the regs and the law of nature to suit their own crap

the fact is most fish are OOS in the spring when the water is cold, fish being cold blooded do much better and survive abuse much better in cool temps then the warmer summer temps, as do muskie, but of course you know that

Terry tell that to the MNR they make the rules and right now they believe that bass and muskies should not be handled from December until after spawn. I'm sure they have their reasons or they would only close their season for the spawning season like walleyes and pike.

It's funny for years people keeped telling me I was wrong and that you could not fish for muskies with a concervation license. Well looks like the stupid guide was right and this is the same thing, it will take a while but the law states that it is illegal to do anything but imediate release of OOS fish. Sure the MNR may not enforce it but you never know when it will happen.

There is a reason why we have closed seasons, the MNR does not want the fish to be handled during a certain time of year. Or else we would just have C&R seasons if it was ok to handle the fish.

P.S. Do you think they would of come up with the concervation licenses if they thought every fish caught in season would not be pictured? Come on it's like taping your buddy on the shoulder or doing it after he just dislocated it. Black and white.

P.S.S. Oh yes some of us practice what we preach, I refuse to fish for pike before the muskie season starts as I know I have a good chance at catching an OOS muskie.

Off to the Odyssey to do some good.

Edited by Trophymuskie

well the MNR with the new regs..when every they come out are opening up even more year round and early season bass fishing..so I guess they don't believe their our experts..

but really I don't dissagree with anything your wrote this time..

and I would never tell or want people to target OOS fish, I don't take pictures of OOS fish and I know better then posting them here....

but

you and I know an OOS fish means nothing..

but

you have a 8 year old kid out fishing for pike and he catches a OOS bass 7lbs and a picture will mean a lot to him just to prove he caught the thing......

I understand the need to encourage people not to play around with OOS fish

but

I see nothing in the law that makes it illegal..moral..well that's a different argument

for a different day

It maybe or may not be illegal, since everyone interprets the loosely written regs differently its hard to say and in many cases it boils down to officer discretion, so to me taking a picture of a OOSF is only illegal if you get caught. Posting it on OFC is not allowed. Taking a picture of a in season fish thats under the slot could fall into the same category if your an bitter anal-retentive CO, but it wouldn't stop me. Even though doing 1 or 2 kph over the limit is illegal I doubt anyone including the police/CO’s etc really give a crap. It’s just a big waste of time like this thread.

When not keeping fish of any species. OOS or not, it is more important how the fish is handled than anything else. If the fish is handled with care, you have your camera ready, it can take as less than 5 seconds to take a picture. It appears that most negativity about this topic has come from a "holier than thou" type of crowd. Catch the fish, handle it carefully, take a QUICK pic if you like, then revive and release. Don't post the pic on the board because obviously people who you would never see post otherwise are suddenly preaching to the choir.

As far as too many Bass goes. There will only be too many Bass when they start getting ahead of me in line at

Tim Horton's.

Hookset.

Good question Northhunter. There have always been good quantities of smallmouth at the east end but it seems I am catching more of them in the pickerel spots in the last few years. I believe the numbers of pickerel have been decreasing due to large numbers of ice fishermen in recent years.

Funny. I've been picking up more pickeral in the mid-late summer bass spots in recent years. I think it has something to do with the habits the fish that are being stocked at this end develop, but who knows for sure...

I believe the same thing with the ice fishing. The reduced limit and the slot were needed with the added pressure and have really helped, although the 3-4yr fish really get hammered and a lot get taken out the year before they would first spawn. I was involved in some work near the South River about a year and a half ago and the majority of the 'eyes we netted were in the slot.

I think the walleye fishery should peak in 3-5 years.

Gees MOB posts an apology thread and it turns into a RANT. C'mon people, give your heads a shake. Leave the EGOS at the keyboard and just thank MOB for his honesty and action. WTG MOB good job :clapping:

I totally agree.......

Rick you are correct but you are talking apples and oranges here. Taking a picture of a fish during the season is definitely less harmfull then during the closed season. As well one has to handle the fish to measure it to verify that it is in the slot or undersized. No where near the same. It is the same as catching and releasing a non slot or legal to keep fish.

I guess one has to have morals to understand the damage caused to a fisheries by the overhandling of OOS fish.

Like Dan mentioned why take pictures of fish that don't count.

Richard, there's nothing to suggest that handling a walleye OOS is any less injurious than handling a 22" walleye that is out of slot. How about fish caught after a limit is reached? Again...illegal to possess. The same would then apply to someone catching a musky on a Conservation license. Illegal for them to posssess the fish, but if a picture is done in a timely and careful manner, it is no different. The argument is rather weak considering we have many lakes in Ontario where the seasons are different on different parts of the lake. Like I said I can go to Port Dalhousie right now and walleye is open year round in parts of it, and closed till May 1st in other parts of it. Would my handling of a fish from the south side be more injurious than handling a fish from the north side?

The laws apply to possession and targetting only. Some would also argue that catching a fish with a guide also 'doesn't count'. I doubt you would share that philosphy.

My PB Smallie was OOS... Wasn't intentional and let me tell you, if I had a camera near by, I'd have taken a picture of that hog - and it counts all the same to me as I caught it, and it was freaking huge.

If you're worried about hooking into an OOS fish by accident, don't fish until all seasons are open. 15 seconds to 30 seconds, quick picture, whatever, it's all symantecs. Damage is already done once that fish was pulled off that spawning bed.

Edited by Puckhead

Legal matter vrs Ethics.

Though it may not be illegal to take an OOS photo, it is unethical to post the success of an OOS catch as you are inadvertently promoting the act itself, IMO.

MOB, great post.

Edited by Harrison

Your stat sheet is that weak that you need to show pics of fish caught before their season opened?! No pics of nice ones when the season is open or that were caught on purpose?! If you're THAT hard up for a little fame, maybe watch the photo background for trees or snow etc and wait until the season's open to post. White lie. Don't be surprised when guys call you on it, you assume the risk by uploading and posting. If it's that big of a thrill to catch a fish out of season, maybe just hang the pic in your home instead on on the internet. Class move MoB, and the report was good! Personal decisions have always done a lot more than any law or law maker ever will.

Edited by LipDip