NF! Garage doors

GBW

Hey all.

So I get home yesterday to find out the coil has broken on my one garage door. So, two things to ask.

1, do I need the coil considering I have an opener on said door? Can I keep using it the way it is and not fix it?

2, Anyone here fix (replace) said problem here on OFC in my area?

Thanks. PM me if you want.

Geoff

Here's how I see it Geoff.

The coil is used to hold the door open.

A nice hot summer day, you have the garage doors open and the kids are playing outside.

They go in the garage to get something and the ONLY thing holding the doors open is a small chain on the remote open and the chain breaks or comes off the track.

:stretcher:

Replace it you cheap bugger.....lol

The spring is a counterweight for the door it needs to be replaced. Look at the spring for some type of color coded paint they are rated by LBS. Replace both of them so they have the same pound pull on both sides again. I know Home Depot in the USA sells them as a note make sure you also have the safety cable run thru the spring when you rehang it.

Art

Geoff, I'm serious this time. If you're going to replace one coil, you MUST replace the other if it's a 2 coil door. They're also not easy to install by yourself. About 4 weeks ago, one of my coils snapped and I swear this would have decapitated anyone in the garage at the time based on the damage it did. I hurried out and bought a coil and started the installation process. Well, this is/was a 20 year old door and hardware and as I tried to install the new coil, I noticed that the cables and everything else was very weak. I had the garage door dudes over to look at it and they are replacing everything this coming Wednesday. The door itself still looks like new but....I'd rather replace it than play around with the mechanics of it.

edit: HA! Sorry Art...you were way ahead of me. :)

I replaced one on my dad's garage MANY years ago....to be honest I thought it was quite easy to do...however I was much younger and my shoulders were in pretty good shape way back then....but are we all talking about the same thing here....

The older garage door systems used a large spring on each of the door to help OPEN the garage door...once the door is open the springs come to rest and do basically nothing....HOWEVER, if that door starts to come down without said springs, it can and will kill you depending on what the door is made of and how heavy it is....old wood doors are VERY heavy and dangerous... fibreglass doors are very light...

Now if we are talking about the newer garage door systems "one spring" built above the door on the header....well, I don't have any experience with that system but now have it on my garage door....after looking at it, I would recommend a experience professional installer to tackle that job...SAFETY FIRST.

One last thing Robin.....using your power garage door opener without the spring WILL destroy said opener...now you will need a new garage opener and still need to replace the spring(s).....as the old commercial said "Pay me now or PAY me later"...

Bob

If it is a torsion spring, that is the type located at the top of the door I wouldn't touch it. Let a pro do it. If it has coil springs located on the side of the door then you could do it yourself. Home depot in Can. carrys one size only of coil spring for garage doors, at the store I work at, Ancaster, they are located at the end of aisle 18 in the hardware dept. under the storm door and garage door parts.

The DIY doors we sell (8' & 9' wide) do not come with a torsion spring because of the danger for a DIY application, some do though come with a certain type of tortion spring that is wound with an electric drill. If a double door is ordered it apparantly does come with a torsion spring.

If in doubt don't cheap out and put your safety at risk, call a garage door guy.

....oh yeah, like Billy Bob said

Edited by pikehunter

Honestly man. I'm a very handy guy around the house, But I wouldn't attempt that repair on my own.

Had a coil snap last year, but didn't know it. Just thought the motor was acting up on the opener. So I pulled the cord to release the motor while the door was open. The old wooden garage door came down to fast that It would have cut my dog in half if she was 2 feet closer. Scary stuff man. Nearly took out my downstairs tenant..

I had a garage door company come an install it, I think it was $50-$75. While they where there they did a little service on the door, and replaced some hardware that blew off when the door crashed down, and re-aligned things.

That old door must weight over 200lbs, if not more. Took two guys to lift it with out the spring as counter balance.

Edited by aplumma
faux cussing

I agree with having a pro do the torsion bar spring but getting someone to do this for under a $100 is a pipe dream IMHO....

Maybe where you are?

I had mine done last year, plus a few extras, and it was under $100 for sure.

Edited by N.A.W

I have installed a few doors over the years, a tough job if you don't know what you are doing but not too hard if you know how.

Trick is to get the door up, install the spring, adjust the pre tension, then let the door load the spring on it's way down. The big thing is knowing how to adjust the pre tension on that spring!

I would be happy to help you but I just don't have the time to do it right now. Best advice, call a professional, it is worth the few extra bucks that you are going to have to pay.

Maybe where you are?

I had mine done last year, plus a few extras, and it was under $100 for sure.

You're probably right.......done here labor is about $65 per hour...and figuring parts plus the cost of the service call (mileage)....easily over a hundy here.