Hit and run, what to do

GoneFishin

Did you even believe this as you pecked away ? ? ?

WHY leave a note when you hit your neighbour's car....why not just go over to his house and knock on the door and fess up to your mistake... :whistling: ....this person tried to get away with this until probably someone talked some sense into him/her.

Yes! This is why I am not just going to just forget about it! They do know where I live, I've phoned them 4 times now with no answer and I haven't left a message yet because, the writing was so small and hard to read, that it's a possibility I might be calling the wrong number......... Looks like I might be knocking on their door tomorrow.

Your neighbor owes you the money for the repair. Whether you get it repaired or not is up to you. If this had gone to court, the court would have given you a monetary reward. What you do with the money is your business.

Sigh........Just do it !!! If it was me, i'd be over there in a flash.I woulda been over there the same bloody day.Old car or new car, he hit your vehicule and left.He or his insurance owes you a repair .

Simple, end of story. Good nite.mellow.gif

Yah well if I do knock on her door and she tell's me she has no idea what I'm talking about then things won't go to smoothly. I just did a reverse search on the phone number... It's not her phone number by the looks of things. It's a lady who owns a pet care business in b-ville. I do see a dog walker every morning while getting into my truck. Hopefully it gets sorted out tomorrow, but looks like it could still be a hit and run...

Your neighbor owes you the money for the repair. Whether you get it repaired or not is up to you. If this had gone to court, the court would have given you a monetary reward. What you do with the money is your business.

That's good to know Dan, I could use the money more then a shiny new door.

Did you even believe this as you pecked away ? ? ?

WHY leave a note when you hit your neighbour's car....why not just go over to his house and knock on the door and fess up to your mistake... :whistling: ....this person tried to get away with this until probably someone talked some sense into him/her.

If you note my post had many question marks. This whole thread has many questions to be answered.

Everyone is so quick to blame the neighbor with no evidence which GoneFishn admits.

No witnesses, no visible damage to their vehicle & a number left to call that doesn't match the neighbors?

No court would award any damages based on the so called facts stated so far in the thread.

Much more investigating needs to be done before blame can be accessed.

Could it have been someone (matching the phone #) just using the neighbors driveway to turn around or a visitor?

Was it the neighbor?

Hell I don't know but no one else does either.

Police should have been call at the time of noticing the damage.

The exact same thing happened to my 1990 Corsica 5 years ago. Neighbor's kids had a party. Young girl still hungover from the night before. Totaled my rear passenger side door. Pushed my car 18". No note..

I grabbed my brother in-law, and we went over and knocked on the door. Found out the girls name after some discussions about what went on last night, and the fact that I new these kids parents where in Florida for a week.. They coughed over her phone number, and she agreed to pay for the damage.

I got a quote from the most expensive place in town (Zenitec). Then we met up, reviewed the quote, I told her I would do some of the work my self to make it a little cheaper. She gave me $800 cash.

Transmission blew on the car 3 weeks later, so I put the money toward the down payment on a new VW golf.

If you can find out who actually did the damage, then I don't see any harm in going after them for the repair costs IMO.. Even if it's a beater.

Edited by N.A.W

I had a big long post all ready to go but I'll keep it simple: I think the OP already knew how he would like to see this end, he was just looking for moral support.

A dent in the door of an old beater that doesn't affect it's operation just adds charactor (or $ in your pocket if you can blame someone)I guess it all just depends on how you look at it and how important money is to you.

No one knows for sure if it was the neighbour or someone else that put the dent there, speculation is just that! Until there is proof no one should be blamed and it sure isn't worth starting a fight over.

In my opinion, if it is so important that you find out who did it and get remuneration, just call the police and let them handle it, otherwise put it to rest and go have a cold one.

No wonder I'm broke all the time! :whistling:

This is why I was trying to figure out what to do. I have got a hold of the guy who hit me. He acted like he didn't know much about it, couldn't remember putting his number under my wiper for about 2 minute while he went on about how I had the wrong number, he was confirming with me where his car hit my truck and lied about when he left his number on my vehicle (said he came back that night) He acted like he did nothing wrong and told me he doesn't have any money for me and that I can phone my insurance company and give them his number( he didn't give me a name) I asked him why he didn't leave his number right away and he said I've got his number, that's the only way I was able to contact him and that this going to become an argument and said good bye and hung up...

GRRRRRRrrrr, I didn't want to get insurance involved but I have been told my insurance won't be affected. So tomorrow morning I will be contacting my insurance company to give them a phone number without a name... Will they even except that? Or do I need to phone the dam cops and let them straighten this crap out?

At this point I would settle for running my truck into the side of their car.... but nothing less...

This is why I was trying to figure out what to do. I have got a hold of the guy who hit me. He acted like he didn't know much about it, couldn't remember putting his number under my wiper for about 2 minute while he went on about how I had the wrong number, he was confirming with me where his car hit my truck and lied about when he left his number on my vehicle (said he came back that night) He acted like he did nothing wrong and told me he doesn't have any money for me and that I can phone my insurance company and give them his number( he didn't give me a name) I asked him why he didn't leave his number right away and he said I've got his number, that's the only way I was able to contact him and that this going to become an argument and said good bye and hung up...

GRRRRRRrrrr, I didn't want to get insurance involved but I have been told my insurance won't be affected. So tomorrow morning I will be contacting my insurance company to give them a phone number without a name... Will they even except that? Or do I need to phone the dam cops and let them straighten this crap out?

At this point I would settle for running my truck into the side of their car.... but nothing less...

Do you remember my very first post....# 19 in this thread....I said #1 rule is "always get a police report....otherwise things get turned around against you....a police report is a official record that everyone has to accept, including insurance companies"....sounds like pretty good advice now doesn't it....but that was 2 days ago and now it's just so so advice....as time passes the guilty get better at their lies.....I'm no Police Officer....however, I would say if called they will just be clerks with guns at this point and time...take a report from you and MAYBE 'him' and that's it.....it's now up to you to bull your way to justice....nice guys finish last and you seem like a nice kid.

Good Luck,

Bob

I would request money from the guy just because he thought he could pull a fast one and NOT repair the truck. If you really want to be a prick, call the cops and he will be nailed with faling to remain at the scene of an accident. Almost positive that is 6 points. That will really make him learn his lesson and I bet he wont drive away again.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I would request money from the guy just because he thought he could pull a fast one and NOT repair the truck. If you really want to be a prick, call the cops and he will be nailed with faling to remain at the scene of an accident. Almost positive that is 6 points. That will really make him learn his lesson and I bet he wont drive away again.

Lol, well he's not being very cooperative and strongly believes he did nothing wrong in terms of leaving the scene and coming back over a day later.. "He has no money for me" but I did manage to get his policy number and name and keep the cops out of it, barely I might add.....

I'm not sure what my insurance company is doing because it sounded like they wanted to make a report with the police. (I love Novex insurance through OFAH, awesome customer service) and he just left a message on my phone at 12am telling me he has a question for me. I'm not sure what kind of question he has for me at this time at night lol.. But I'm not getting angry over speaking to this yahoo any more and I'm just going to let the insurance deal with it.

So I think for the most part(unless they out right offer to pay right then and their) if something like this ever happens to you just report it, don't think twice, you don't deserve to be the one jerked around..

Now lets hope every thing goes smoothly from here but I was told as long as his insurance company knows he was at fault then I'm fully covered. He all ready admitted to hitting my driver side door so case closed I would say..

Thanks for all the advise guys! I really appreciate it and learned a couple things :worthy:

Ohh and ps, I'm pretty sure it wasn't my neighbor, it was hard enough getting his name out of him though so I'm not even sure who he is or how it happened..

Edited by GoneFishin

Lol, well he's not being very cooperative and strongly believes he did nothing wrong in terms of leaving the scene and coming back over a day later.. "He has no money for me" but I did manage to get his policy number and name and keep the cops out of it, barely I might add.....

I'm not sure what my insurance company is doing because it sounded like they wanted to make a report with the police. (I love Novex insurance through OFAH, awesome customer service) and he just left a message on my phone at 12am telling me he has a question for me. I'm not sure what kind of question he has for me at this time at night lol.. But I'm not getting angry over speaking to this yahoo any more and I'm just going to let the insurance deal with it.

So I think for the most part(unless they out right offer to pay right then and their) if something like this ever happens to you just report it, don't think twice, you don't deserve to be the one jerked around..

Now lets hope every thing goes smoothly from here but I was told as long as his insurance company knows he was at fault then I'm fully covered. He all ready admitted to hitting my driver side door so case closed I would say..

Thanks for all the advise guys! I really appreciate it and learned a couple things :worthy:

Ohh and ps, I'm pretty sure it wasn't my neighbor, it was hard enough getting his name out of him though so I'm not even sure who he is or how it happened..

If he thinks he has no money now then wait until his insurance doubles is costs each year for the next 2 years.