November chrome

frozen-fire

No better month to go hunt for chrome than November. There is just something about going out on cold November mornings and smashing fresh chrome steelhead that is so satisfying :D

This has been an exceptional fall with lots of hard fighting steelhead for everyone, and I'm sure the fun will continue until ice-up!

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to steelheading and I've still got a lot to learn. Bait choice, different rigs and setups, depth, time of day, temperature... so many factors that can make the difference.

Most of my fish have come on roe bags this fall, but I would like to concentrate on getting into jigs and flies. It's hard to switch up when you're doing so well though. But we'll see how it goes.

Enjoy the pics... some of the best photos this fall came from this past weekend. Couldn't have been possible without a great netman and cameraman (Thanks Vic!)

incoming1.jpg

incoming.jpg

tired.jpg

TANK.jpg

TANK1.jpg

TANK2.jpg

steelheadrelease.jpg

shakersgalore.jpg

release4.jpg

release3.jpg

release2.jpg

release1.jpg

release-1.jpg

purplebuck.jpg

purplebuck1.jpg

purplebuck2.jpg

piggyhen1.jpg

piggyhen.jpg

hen1.jpg

hen.jpg

headofsteel3.jpg

headofsteel2.jpg

headofsteel1.jpg

headofsteel.jpg

fishon5.jpg

fishon4.jpg

fishon3.jpg

fishon2.jpg

fishon.jpg

doubleheader1.jpg

doubleheader.jpg

chromer4.jpg

chromer3.jpg

chromer2.jpg

chromer1.jpg

chromer.jpg

blushing.jpg

blushing1.jpg

blushing2.jpg

swallowed.jpg

silverhen.jpg

froggy.jpg

backyougo.jpg

This little guy was insane!

I hooked up with this fish and fought it for about 5-10 seconds. It then wrapped me up in wood and broke me off at the leader.

I retied and a few drifts later, get another fish on. I land the fish and see a line coming out of it's mouth. This was the same fish that broke me off a few casts before! While examining the fish, I realized that there was another line and hook coming out of it's mouth. So in total... there were 3 lines, 3 hooks and 3 roe bags in the mouth of this small steelhead. This fish wanted to be caught so bad.

crazy.jpg

Taking everything out of its mouth.

crazy1.jpg

All cleaned up and set for release.

crazy2.jpg

Can anyone ID this thing? I found it swimming downstream.

troutfood.jpg

That's a helgramite. Some, but few bait shops carry them.

I really like the first release shot...thumbsup_anim.gif

Not a hellgrammite. Hellgrammites have a visible thorax and mouth parts (mandibles). Almost looks like a tulipae larvae (cranefly).

Do we have an expert in benthic invertebrates in the house?!

Thanks guys...

After some googling, it is confirmed that it was a cranefly larvae (aquatic). Found out there are terrestrial forms as well.

I was very surprised at the size of the thing. Considering mature crane flies have such small bodies and a rather thin abdomen. It just didn't seem like a match and no way I would've guessed crane fly just from looking at the larvae. I would have expected a much bulkier bodied insect.

Wow I'm missing out!!! Great stuff Tony, maybe next opener!

nah. You're not missing anything here :P

I'd trade all the fish that I caught last weekend for catching 1 out your way in the REAL rivers and pools(okay maybe i didn't catch a whole lot but still haha)