Pikeperch

manitoubass2

I'm determined to take a trip sometime in my life to fish these beasts. I can't imagine reeling in 109cm fish that looks almost identical to it's cousin walleye.

Has anyone here had the pleasure of catching these fish?

My link

109cm

The guys that constantly bicker over walleye/pickeral will love these being added to the mix, lol

Never herd of this fish before.

Looks like one hell of a fighter though!

I agree!

It looks like a trip to Sweden or Russia is in order to catch them though (or other areas of Europe)

Basically the same as a walleye (Sander Vitreus) but has an ability to grow longer/fatter. Some of the big ones I've seen in pictures have some ugly coloring, but others look beautiful, and identical to walleye.

Some of the rigs I've seen used to catch them are quite odd too, at least to me

Makes you wonder if you went over with our style lures and techniques for walleye... If you'd get Zander...

So when do we book a trip Mikew00t.gif I have no doubt you could figure out a pattern.

I hear a guy by the name of Colonel Zanders has a chain of restaurants featuring the fish deep fried whistling.gif

Makes you wonder if you went over with our style lures and techniques for walleye... If you'd get Zander...

Actually, we're using their style of lures. Rapala originated in Finland. For all intents and purposes, they are the same fish. Remember the Latin name for walleye was recently changed from Stizostedion vitreum to Sander vitreus.

I've seen people try and pass these fish off as walleye on other fishing sites...

Many North American restaurants have been and still do serve zander and call it walleye.

I would imagine so, all the listed characteristics etc are virtually the same as walleye.

I seen one rig pop up in alot of the videos, and I was pretty surprised it would be effective. It was a heavy ball sinker, I'd guess 3-5 oz., with a swivels attached to it. The straight on the swivel was either a grub or what appeared to be 4" swim baits.

I f I was to use a similar rig in heavy current (like I seen this rig being used on), I'd use a leader of some sort to keep my presentation off bottom a bit, and get it further from such a big sinker.

It would be fun to get the chance to try out North Amrican techniques though clapping.gif

I would imagine so, all the listed characteristics etc are virtually the same as walleye.

I seen one rig pop up in alot of the videos, and I was pretty surprised it would be effective. It was a heavy ball sinker, I'd guess 3-5 oz., with a swivels attached to it. The straight on the swivel was either a grub or what appeared to be 4" swim baits.

I f I was to use a similar rig in heavy current (like I seen this rig being used on), I'd use a leader of some sort to keep my presentation off bottom a bit, and get it further from such a big sinker.

It would be fun to get the chance to try out North Amrican techniques though clapping.gif

I have this rig - brought it from my Belarus trip.

If you guys interested i can put some pictures here.

Tried it on French River couple of times and got one smallmouth.

I hope we are talking about same thing

This is how is it made:

Edited by Cosmos

I have this rig - brought it from my Belarus trip.

If you guys interested i can put some pictures here.

Tried it on French River couple of times and got one smallmouth.

I hope we are talking about same thing

This is how is it made:

Nope, thats a different rig then I was referring too. I'm glad you posted that though, as it was another rig I came across while searching out this topic!

I think the one I'm talking about was called a porolonka rig? I could be mistaken though

Nope, thats a different rig then I was referring too. I'm glad you posted that though, as it was another rig I came across while searching out this topic!

I think the one I'm talking about was called a porolonka rig? I could be mistaken though

Whatever i posted is a porolonka.

You can buy these fish at "Sysco" or many grocery stores under the name of "European Pickerel" tastes and looks just like Walleye and cheaper than buying them at the "fish market".....

If I'm not mistaken restauranteurs in Minnestoa were charged for selling them as Walleye. (zander vitreus vitreus).....

I've always wanted to go to Holland and try my luck... apparently the average Zander is larger than our average Walleye (excluding Quinte)

and the world records for both species are pretty close.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

accept the ones I seen previously had much larger sinkers. I suppose it depends on the current

Whatever i have is coming with 1 oz sinker, but you are right, for different condition you are putting different weight, to change sinker you are using small split ring.

You can buy these fish at "Sysco" or many grocery stores under the name of "European Pickerel" tastes and looks just like Walleye and cheaper than buying them at the "fish market".....

If I'm not mistaken restauranteurs in Minnestoa were charged for selling them as Walleye. (zander vitreus vitreus).....

I've always wanted to go to Holland and try my luck... apparently the average Zander is larger than our average Walleye (excluding Quinte)

and the world records for both species are pretty close.

Randy

:canadian:

As for size, I think they grow quite abit bigger. The fishid site I was looking at said maximum length of 51", max weight of 33lbs. But I've seen a few pics now of pikeperch that "appear" to be larger than that. And on some of those pics, the girth of them look greater than that of our walleye.

Thats interesting what you say about restaurants in MN selling them because there cheaper? Walleye are obviously abundant in MN, and you'd think that fish shipped from various parts of Europe wouldn't really be any cheaper? Interesting though, and I'm bored, so I'm gonna try to find some links to these cases.

@Cosmos. It's a funny rig to me. I fish alot of walleye and I'd never think to have a large sinker so close to the bait. I'd use a leader or something similar to keep the bait away from the sinker. Just looking at those rigs I think "that would never produce bites", lol. Shows how close minded we can be at times as anglers whistling.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

Sometimes we finesse too much for walleye. The fish are not hitting our presentation so we go lighter or longer because they must be "finessed more". That isn't always the best option.

The conditions also dictate the presentation. The river anglers in the mid and western states use some rigs that would make most of us eastern anglers do a double take.

That heavy ball sinker offers the same type of precise presentation that a jig would but the hook can swing a little more freely and the weight can be changed more quickly than a whole jig-head.