Not knowing your own limit....

scottyswing

Was at a local Conservation lake that has a variety of good fish. There is however a big sign as you go in that tells you the limit of each fish you can take home. (I'm sure you know where I'm talking about)

Pike for instance, you are allowed to take two fish from the water.

The other day, while day fishing i watched two old guys take 6-7 pike EACH.

When i asked him about it, he said he was told pike are a problem and are eating all the baby bass.

He's not MNR though. So I'm not sure if i should be a little bit more of a dick next time i see it.

Would any of you say something? Or is it just the way it goes.

I've read on here that the size of pike in the water has been on the decline, and i assume the over fishing doesn't help.

Just want to know if i should point it out to people that the limit is two for a reason.

Was at a local Conservation lake that has a variety of good fish. There is however a big sign as you go in that tells you the limit of each fish you can take home. (I'm sure you know where I'm talking about)

Pike for instance, you are allowed to take two fish from the water.

The other day, while day fishing i watched two old guys take 6-7 pike EACH.

When i asked him about it, he said he was told pike are a problem and are eating all the baby bass.

He's not MNR though. So I'm not sure if i should be a little bit more of a dick next time i see it.

Would any of you say something? Or is it just the way it goes.

I've read on here that the size of pike in the water has been on the decline, and i assume the over fishing doesn't help.

Just want to know if i should point it out to people that the limit is two for a reason.

i would/do say something all the time....sometimes people just dont know but other times they do know and are just jerks....

I say something, I snap pictures, I ask them to hold up the fish a shot

I take pictures of their boat and numbers or their car.....

and I tell them to drop the fish in the lake and leave or I will make sure they are charged.........

and so far I have lived to tell about it

I wouldn't have said anything at all....just called the hotline. I get the same thing on a local stocked rainbow stream. I used to say something, but used to get the "it's stocked, it's OK" from one couple that consistently took double their limit. Now, it's pics of their license plate and a quick call to the hotline.

thats like the people on the st.lawrence that have in the past and still kill pike... rockbass... sunfish...

another lake i know of... they would kill musky cause the locals prefered largemouth bass fishing...

these people are usually uneducated and dont realize the damage they can do to a water system...

a hefty fine from the MNR will educate em pretty fast...

i have the hotline on my phone...

in my area... ive seen them show up to a hotline call in 5-10 minutes... if they are close by... they will show up...

From what you wrote, Scotty, it doesn't sound like they were necessarily being dicks. I would most certainly start by pointing the sign out to them...let them know it's clearly posted. If they don't throw fish back, you don't need to inform them that you're calling TIPS....just call.

Being a dick to them is just situation-dependent, IMHO. Sometimes you need to, sometimes you don't. Calling TIPS is a no-brainer though....always make the call

Edited by johnnyb

if everybody keeps all the pike from there then the crappie and bass populations will explode and become stunted dunno.gif I would rather catch some pike and a few big crappies then tonnes of tiny fish

Ya it becomes the self fulfilling prophecy. They remove too many top predators and the other game fish stunt, so they remove more pike etc.