Swingin' Metal For Hot Chromers

solopaddler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i never leave home without my lucky black and blue spoon. when the fish are high in the water column especially it just seems like nothing fishing like hardware.

Solo(Mike),

I,m really glad to see your post. I'm just getting into 'bows and the only success I've had has been with lures, but I've seen so many(the vast majority) using roe that I became convinced that was the way to catch them with any kind of consistency. So, as I mentioned elsewhere, I have been so far frustrated with roe. I think now lures will be my first choice and maybe use roe if that's not working. My limited luck has been on Little Cleos an 5 of diamonds.

I wonder why you use such a strong leader(12#). The roe folks seem to all use light (4-6#) leaders and still manage to land big fish. Allso, wouldn't a lighter braid be easier to cast i.e cast further?

Nice report Mike, been arking custom colorados through the runs for may years, if conditions are right, and yes the strikes are incredible, also enjoy bringing out the fly rod, and free drifting the runs as well with both roe and colorados as well, nice to take a step back in time, to remember how we used to catch chrome before long rods and pins

I wonder why you use such a strong leader(12#). The roe folks seem to all use light (4-6#) leaders and still manage to land big fish. Allso, wouldn't a lighter braid be easier to cast i.e cast further?

For the float set ups ....presemntation is essential hence the reason for the fine lines to try to mimic a natural flow of a fly or roe bag as it would if it wasnt attached to a leader...if you get snagged on the bottom your out a hook or two amounting to under a dollar

Chucking lures....the lure is the presentation with its ability to wiggle or make noise what ever the case may be so the heavy line is to aid in getting off the bottom if you get snagged...lures cost ten bucks or so...it gets costly quickly....i normally run 10 pound tezt on my spinning reel( 10'6 rod) and 17 on my baitcaster ( 7' rod)...

Did i mention the RIVER is my tackle box..... :wallbash:

edit to add: im going to guess Mike runs heavy braid so he can be more versatile to target other species should the need arise

Edited by Twocoda

Awesome chrome Mike! I really like this post. Although I floatfish a lot, I also cast hardware at times, spring, fall and winter. There are times hardware definitely 'shines' :D The hits are always incredible compared to watching a float drop.

I immensely enjoyed getting out with you recently casting hardware. That one steelie that hit so hard it snapped my line was the hardest hit I've ever had in the 33 years that I've been steelhead fishing!

I would love to get out with you again this week, but I'm gone almost 12 hours a day for work Mon-Fri and they will not even give me one day off, I asked :( I like Joey's idea about calling in and telling work that "I caught something" :lol:

Mike_Chromer_11-2011_14.jpg

AaronSteelhead_11_2011_2.jpg

AaronSteelhead_11_2011_4.jpg

Was a pleasure fishing with you bud, thanks for adding your pic's. Too bad about this week, it's on fire right now. Next time :)

Question for you...Why do you prefer braid for this application? I've always considered the no-stretch property of braid as more of a liability than mono on the initial strike. Although it is obviously more sensitive than mono, it's not like you'll miss a steelhead strike, on the swing biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Braid may be a liability if you were using an extreme fast action rod. With a rod that has a "bit" of softness in the tip though it's no problem believe me.

Braid has obvious advantages as far as hook sets and sensitivity goes...you can feel everything.

It's also simply more durable.

This particular type of fishing is pretty darned close to a saltwater experience in my books.

Big water, hot aggressive fish, arm wrenching strikes.... I had 3 steelhead in the 10lb range chase my spoon right to my feet today before one just walloped it.

Mono would simply not stand up to the abuse believe me. Unless you were using really heavy gorrila stuff, but then you wouldn't be able to cast as far.

If it was one or two fish then maybe, but I put 50 fish on the bank the other day and lost almost as many LOL!

Always happy to be your cameraman mike! hardware was unreal... i shouldnt have left the hardware rod in the car!!

Looking forward to getting out with you again Joe!

It's a 100% reaction strike, no finesse whatsoever. I'm fairly confident I could get as many fish running straight braid. The 12lb fluoro tippet probably does nothing more than give me confidence.

It's a 100% reaction strike, no finesse whatsoever. I'm fairly confident I could get as many fish running straight braid. The 12lb fluoro tippet probably does nothing more than give me confidence.

That would be my guess. If they are that aggressive, the flouro is probably overkill....but it's hard to argue with 50 landed steelhead ;)

Way to be versatile! Nice fish, reminds me of this one time earlier this fall. Was fishing a large pool but the water was gin clear, you could see every fish in there. I was getting by using 3 lb lead and singles but after every fish id hook the pool would shut down for 20 min or so... then this older gent came up and started casting little brass spinners, almost every cast 5-10 fish would stray from the pod and follow with most striking short or "tasting" his lure. He hit 3 fish from that pool and was on his way... it was an awesome sight to see considering the fish were absolutely spooked from the morning bite.

. For deeper water lure anglers around here would do well to learn how to utilize backbouncing lures using weight to get the lure down to the fish and current to impart action to the lure. I have had steelies hit my Bagley's B Flat crankbait so hard backbouncing the Whirlpool that they have broken the lure off leaving me to reel in the lip only. In snaggy situations (like the Whirlpool)using spin and glows or "blade only" spinners can be cost effective as well as successfull too.

Snidley,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'blade only' spinners. Would you mind explaining it a wee bit?

I googled backbouncing and I get the impression it's big on the West coast with deep waters and very big fish but the deepest river water I fished is about 15 ft, so it's probably too shallow for that technique.

Blades are similar to spinner rigs for walleyes. You put a spinner blade through a clevis directly on your line and add a hook or tie on a pre made spinner rig like the Luhr Jensen ones or Hildebrandt ones (they are by far the best). You then use weight up the line, often off a 3 way swivel, to get the bait down to the fish. The current of the river will make the spinner rotate but the rig will not hang up on bottom like a weighted spinner ie. a Mepps/Blue Fox. They are often run off of baitcast floatrods which is the way I used them at places with high fast flow like the Grand, Whirlpool and Saugeen (when its high). The same sort of rig with a spin and glow instead of a metal spinner is good when you want less spinner vibration or the water is lower/slower/clearer. Personally I never use bait but you can put small roe bags, plastics etc on the hook (always a siwash or octapuss in my case (it's easier on the fish and does not hang up like a treble))and that adds to the appeal of the bait as you swing it.

In most rivers 15 feet IS deep. When I used to wade rivers I backbounced Bronte Creek using small crankbaits like Rebel Crickhoppers and Big Ants with 3 split shots 18 inches above the lures. Worked like a charm but most days you will find it hard to fish busy urban rivers around the floaters using this technique as the two are basically incompatible.

Great stuff Mike!!!!!

I've only been out twice so far, but, have stayed away from the river...tossing hardware at the rivermouths. Like you said, nothing beats the strikes. First time out, was using my old school Trilene XT, 8 lb set-up. Last time out, had my Pflueger Arbor 7450 (similiar to your US Reel) loaded with 30 lb braid, and a flouro leader. First time I've fished bows with braid...I'm a believer, definitely won't be the last time!!!

Thanks for the great post and especially for not naming the water you are fishing.

I like fishing stories and reports - I just think advertising the location with a title like "went 20 for 30" is a bad idea.

I used to laugh at people who photoshopped the background out of the picture but now I think it is the right thing to do - my opinion. If I want to show and tell on the internet, I am cautious not to ruin other people's fishing spots/plans by inviting everyone and their brother down the next day.

Those are some nice chromies.

Landry