lets talk ROE BAGS

mike rousseau

well i did an ofc search... and didnt really find any good threads on roe bags...

i know preferences are different between anglers and conditions... but i though this thread could help a lot of people including myself...

so im asking the steelhead guys to chime in with opinions based on personal experience...

i wanna know things like...

if you had to use only one color and size and species of eggs for a bag... what would it be?

ill take any information you guys will spill... so feel free to rant and :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

i wanna hear it and im guesing others do as well...

also... hook size relative to roe bags... ive read so many articles about hook size that contradict themselves...

thank

mike

I think we need a Steelhead 101 thread just for you Mike, lol!!!!

It really depends on the river, clarity and water temp. My goto would probably be nickel size chartreuse scrape. Species of eggs really doesn't matter, although I love tying up brown roe more then anything else. But this weekend I did well on overcured loose chinook eggs in white... So go figure.

As for hooks, I usually run a 4 on the big end and 10's on the small end. I really like the DAIICHI X510 in size 6 for an all around hook.

Edited by BillM

I think we need a Steelhead 101 thread just for you Mike, lol!!!!

It really depends on the river, clarity and water temp. My goto would probably be nickel size chartreuse scrape. Species of eggs really doesn't matter, although I love tying up brown roe more then anything else. But this weekend I did well on overcured loose chinook eggs in white... So go figure.

As for hooks, I usually run a 4 on the big end and 10's on the small end. I really like the DAIICHI X510 in size 6 for an all around hook.

i know im a pain sometimes...lol

but i figure if i had started a thread asking you guy to tell me everything you know about float fishing steehead... i wouldnt have got much... so im picking at you guys bit by bit to try and learn how to catch these fish..

so the size 4 hook would be for the "loonie" size sacs and the size 10 for sacks smaller then a dime?

Yup, bigger the bag the larger the hook. I'm not one to run tiny hooks, I know guys that run 14's sometimes... I think they are giving the fish way to much credit :)

I ran size 6 hooks with small bags this weekend, no issues. Like I said, I like that size for pretty much anything. Unless I'm running single eggs, then I'll down size to a 10 or so.

Edited by BillM

Keep it simple, uncured eggs (no water!) in a variety of colours. Rarely is it the case that 1 single colour mesh is out producing all others.

I've always tied my bags oversized, and can do the 'ol pierce and twist with the hook to make them smaller should the need arise. I'd prefer to do that, than put 2 smaller bags on in stained water...Also another note, I've caught more fish on big bags in clear water, than fish on small bags in stained water...

I use #6 octopus hooks 80% of the time, dropping down to a #8 in clear water. I prefer muddy water to clear when fishing tributaries, the fish feel safer and are more likely to strike (however, the strike zone is much smaller due to reduced isibility, so be accurate and focused with your drifts)

Flourocarbon leader and clear floats are more important for clear water stealth than hook size. But again, I'm not interested in crawling on my hands and knees trying to not spook fish...I prefer high and stained water conditions and catch them when they're aggressive thumbsup_anim.gif

Lots to learn in books and online, but there is no substitute for practicing on the water.

Learn to read the surface currents, they will reveal all the hiding/holding spots for trout no matter what size or creek/river you fish. It's all about the 'seams' where faster current meets slower current. These can be vertical, as well as horizontal don't forget Gonefishing.gif

Also, pay attention to people that are catching fish if you aren't with your approach...don't be too proud to adapt to the technique that is working canadian.gif

Good luck! We're very fortunate to have an incredible Great Lakes migratory salmon and trout fishery, get out there and enjoy!

Chartreuse and hot pink in prime, or stained water. White, yellow, light pink in clear.

Number 10 is my standard size hook. Smaller only if using small bags.

Free tip...if fishing dirtier water, add a bit of a hot coloured yarn to your hook. This "clown" presentation has worked amazingly well for me over the years.

I like Chartreuse , Yellow , Pink , and Peach for tying spawn sacks. I always carry more than one colour , only because some days one colour may work better than another. When I change colours on slow days it seems that I will concentrate more on what my float is doing. Different hook manufacturers make different size hooks , there doesn't seem to be any standard sizing in place. One companies size 10 will be as large as some other manufacturers size 8 hook. I use hooks from 8 down to 14 depending on the size of my roe bag. In clear slow water I think that size matters because the fish have longer to decide whether or not to bite.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

most often i'm using white or chartreuse but if i anticipate clear water i typically tie up a few blue as well (shhhh)...

i use size 6 - 10 for hooks.

Roe bags, great information from everyone who posted above.

I like to hook my roe bags not from the top where they are tied, but through the side, its easier to pull them off, but they do rip when setting your hook on leaves, either that or I'm setting to hard :whistling:

As for roe, I like to keep my roe gooey, while I store them I will pop a few eggs and have the juices soak my tied bags. I flip the container over each day so it cycles, I'm sure it doesn't make much of a dfference :dunno: , but in slow moving water, I beleive scent is a major factor for the fish. I also use a scent on some of my plastics.

I like size 6-10 hooks. My favorite colour is white, although I use almost all colours . I prefer brown roe in the fall and winter and ooey gooey bow roe in the spring. I usually tie an assortment of colours. probably 3-4 bags of each colour and then tie as I go once I establish what the hot colour or size is.

With all that being said, I get way more satisfaction catching them on flies and artificials. But we will save that for another thread.

Chartreuse and hot pink in prime, or stained water. White, yellow, light pink in clear.

Number 10 is my standard size hook. Smaller only if using small bags.

Free tip...if fishing dirtier water, add a bit of a hot coloured yarn to your hook. This "clown" presentation has worked amazingly well for me over the years.

X2 chartreuse and pink outsell all other colours in my store 10-1 #8 sedge hooks are the most popular also unless they are fishing with beads, then they switch to 10's or 12's

RED

I generally keep 4 colours ready, 5 salmon eggs to a bag, up to 6 small styrofoam beads (neon) red, white, lime green & peach bag on a #10 or #12 red Gamugatsi hook, 6 pound Seaguar fluorocarbon leader & 8 pound Seaguar main line. No self-respecting trout can resist this floating by under his nose! If things get really desperate . . . . 1 white marshmallow, or for browns . . . one of those wee Powerbait red worms!

ive been told that fall go small and natural and spring go big and bright...is this the case? in normal conditions anyway....

Not true. So many things are dependent on what you'll be throwing in the fall or spring. No two rivers are the same. You can't go to the river and think 'Hey, it's the fall I should be running small bags'.. It doesn't work that way... One thing I do find is that worms work really good in the spring along with minnow imitations (Crappy tubes, jigs, etc)..

Edited by BillM

Don't get me wrong, they work great in the fall when the water is warm, but I'd put them away when it gets cold :)

Again, it depends on where and when. I've seen big fish taking large dew worms in late November when there was ice on the surface, and roe bags weren't doing much.

My usual go to is hot pink. I also tie scads of white and chartreuse. I find hot pink is good in almost any condition, especially if there are aggressive fish around. If I want to be more stealthy I switch to white.

Cure or not cured, again, seems to depend on water clarity, temp and speed - and I change my mind all the time as to which I prefer.

p.-

You can really get a wide range of answers on this from most steelheaders. Everyone has their favs, and they all work.

As a general rule (as has been pointed out already), larger roe bags with larger hooks the more stained the water conditions. Smaller bags and hooks the clearer the water conditions.

As for colours, they all work, but I typically don't leave home without salmon, hot pink and chart, although I've had killer days with peach, white and soft yellow. Did I name them all except blue? lol

I typically use Chinook eggs and brown eggs in the fall, and steelhead eggs from the winter to the spring, although I've done well with bow roe in the fall and brown in the spring.

All this talk about roe bags is nice and all, but the following is more important to having a successful day of steelheading:

- Timing your trip to conditions. Try and time your trip so that you are fishing a trib at the start of the clearing cycle from a big blow. Just having enough rain to raise water levels and turn the water a nice "steelhead green" colour is also prime. All tribs clear at different times, so make your choice to fish the right trib. This is the best advice I can give to people just getting into steelheading, and more important than pretty much anything else. If you time your trip right, it's like showing up to an all girl party after they've been over-served, they're pretty easy :lol:

- preparing your eggs properly can make a huge difference in your fishing. Don't cure your eggs, and don't put them in water or rinse them off. Take them fresh from the fish and pick out the blood spots. Divide up loose eggs (or scrape) to just the right amount you typically use for a day of fishing. Put them in sandwich ziplock bags and freeze overnight. Take the frozen block of eggs out of the sandwich bag the next day and seal air tight in Foodsaver bags. I then date the bag, add details and put them back in the freezer. Eggs will last years like this in your freezer. Eggs prepared and stored in this manor are superior for catching fish.

I have 3 giant ziplock bags with Chinook eggs, bow and brown eggs in a file cabinet style with air tight Foodsaver bags inside. All dated from oldest in front to newer to the back. It's also like having a fuel gauge on roe. I know instantly when I am getting low on a species' eggs sand need more. I always take the oldest batch of eggs to use from the front and they are great.

- Presentation is key on the river. Much can be said about this. There is no substitute for experience, but research will help. The bottom current typically moves slower than the top current, and if you can match the bottom current with your presentation, you will do well. Most often without windy conditions, feathering your centrepin slightly to hold your float back smoothly so that your presentation is at a slight angle is the key to matching the bottom current. Of coarse there are many variables, but typically what I described is most often the way to present your bait in the most natural way possible. Always pay attention to the exact spot you or others hook fish ;)

Good steelheading!

Aaron

Trout are far more dumb than most people think... tie an assortment of whatever roe you have and you will probably catch something assuming you can get the bait in the strike zone.

That said, extra fish can definitely be had when you have fresh roe...point in case Mike schooled me today until he shared some of his crack roe