lets talk ROE BAGS

mike rousseau

One of my biggest Steelhead ever was caught on a golfball sized roe bag in a shallow, clear creek, not more than 6 feet across and 18" deep. I only tied it up that big because it was the last of my eggs and the last of my "pantyhose". That was 35 years ago. There was no fancy colored mesh to choose from in those days. We simply waited until Mom had a tear in her pantyhose and then used that for tieing up our bags. In extreme desperation I'd put an "accidental" tear in Moms pantyhose, just so I'd have more to work with. I never cured an egg in my life. Never drifted a float ever. Bottom line here is that I caught hundreds and hundreds of Steelhead with those primative methods.

You can really get a wide range of answers on this from most steelheaders. Everyone has their favs, and they all work.

As a general rule (as has been pointed out already), larger roe bags with larger hooks the more stained the water conditions. Smaller bags and hooks the clearer the water conditions.

As for colours, they all work, but I typically don't leave home without salmon, hot pink and chart, although I've had killer days with peach, white and soft yellow. Did I name them all except blue? lol

I typically use Chinook eggs and brown eggs in the fall, and steelhead eggs from the winter to the spring, although I've done well with bow roe in the fall and brown in the spring.

All this talk about roe bags is nice and all, but the following is more important to having a successful day of steelheading:

- Timing your trip to conditions. Try and time your trip so that you are fishing a trib at the start of the clearing cycle from a big blow. Just having enough rain to raise water levels and turn the water a nice "steelhead green" colour is also prime. All tribs clear at different times, so make your choice to fish the right trib. This is the best advice I can give to people just getting into steelheading, and more important than pretty much anything else. If you time your trip right, it's like showing up to an all girl party after they've been over-served, they're pretty easy :lol:

- preparing your eggs properly can make a huge difference in your fishing. Don't cure your eggs, and don't put them in water or rinse them off. Take them fresh from the fish and pick out the blood spots. Divide up loose eggs (or scrape) to just the right amount you typically use for a day of fishing. Put them in sandwich ziplock bags and freeze overnight. Take the frozen block of eggs out of the sandwich bag the next day and seal air tight in Foodsaver bags. I then date the bag, add details and put them back in the freezer. Eggs will last years like this in your freezer. Eggs prepared and stored in this manor are superior for catching fish.

I have 3 giant ziplock bags with Chinook eggs, bow and brown eggs in a file cabinet style with air tight Foodsaver bags inside. All dated from oldest in front to newer to the back. It's also like having a fuel gauge on roe. I know instantly when I am getting low on a species' eggs sand need more. I always take the oldest batch of eggs to use from the front and they are great.

- Presentation is key on the river. Much can be said about this. There is no substitute for experience, but research will help. The bottom current typically moves slower than the top current, and if you can match the bottom current with your presentation, you will do well. Most often without windy conditions, feathering your centrepin slightly to hold your float back smoothly so that your presentation is at a slight angle is the key to matching the bottom current. Of coarse there are many variables, but typically what I described is most often the way to present your bait in the most natural way possible. Always pay attention to the exact spot you or others hook fish ;)

Good steelheading!

Aaron

Sneak away from the diaper change duty for a few minutes Aaron?

Some good advice there, I hope to get out this weekend to try that Steelhead thing again...I just hope I don`t fall in the river again! :Gonefishing: