Drop Shotting Smallies on Lake Erie

Aaron Shirley

Frank DiMarcantonio kicks my butt and puts on a show for me nailing smallies. I did catch fish too, but he was on fire. I'm not real strong on drop shotting technique, but I'm getting better now. You can watch our day in full 1080p HD on YouTube Frank explains how to tie a drop shot rig in detail and shares his secrets too :)

Enjoy

Good fishing!

Aaron

Some good tips by you and Frank. I just started getting into drop shotting this year and I always use the stand-out drop shot hooks, now I know how to keep a regular hook perpendicular to the line. That tip by you with the weight was good too, think Frank lost 2 weights in the first 3 minutes of the ep.

Thanks.

I remember when you and Barry did a show fishing for crappie in a little creek, thinking about doing another at that creek?

Anyways, good stuff.

Edited by Hooked

Thanks Court. Yeah, Frank took me to school that day! I went back recently with 6lb fluorocarbon spooled up and was lighter on my hookset. The end result, I lost very few fish :) I will not use braid for drop shotting again, and I'll leave the Roland Martin hooksets for tubin' it :lol:

thinking about doing another at that creek?

I have no plans for crappies in a small creek. I try to do something different all the time. I tried to do a panfish episode in the general area at a pond with a young guy this spring, but weather didn't cooperate. I plan to try again this coming spring.

What kind of rods were you guys using? Im looking to buy a new one. It looks like they were pretty long, i want to upgrade from my 6'8.

The weight tip was great. I also used to use braid and found i lost more. I use 6lb fluoro too now, the line does twist more imo. I also forget half the time and do a huge hookset :oops:

Edited by danbob

your telling me!!! they won best for terminal tackle at icast this year with that simple design

Used those hooks over the Thanksgiving long weekend and they are by far the best dropshot hook I have fished they work unbelivealbly well and the hooks are razor sharp

Dan

Hey Aaron I haven't watched the vid my laptops not liking the 1080P but when I dropshot I use a 7'MH fast action 20lb braid with a 10lb flouro leader and I don't pin them all but I don't miss a lot either and I set the hook like I'm flipping every time LOL in tourneys were smallies are boss we usually fish 1 with tubes and 1 dropshotting last year(2010) was tubes over drop shot and this year was dropshot taking more fish :dunno: I guess it's what ever your confident with and I'm not a fan of draggin tubes so I have got lots of confidence in my dropshot set up so it works good for me.

The Spin Shot Rig was actually developed by Bernard Yong Set from Stringease. Stringease has the Zero Twist Shot drop shot hook which is exactly the same as the VMC version but also incorporates a #14 stainless steel crane swivel which is rated at 3o lbs. test. I've was in on the development of these 2 products and have been using the Zero Twist Shot all summer with great success! It takes the twist all out of your fluorocarbon! The VMC Spark Point is a black nickel hook which is super sharp & strong. Aaron, if we bump into each other on Erie I'll toss you a package! :thumbsup_anim:

The Zero Twist Shot is readily available at most tackle stores in Ontario!

David, that is awesome! Well done. Funny, when I first saw the above image, I thought to myself, that looks like something that Bernard would come up with :lol: That guy never stops thinking!

I'll be out on Erie a lot in November, maybe I'll see ya out there.

Good fishing!

Aaron