Where should I put my hut this winter??

NAW

I am moving to a new house in December.

The last few years, I've been out on Simcoe every weekend. But I'm moving up to Irishfield's neighbourhood. I don't know if I should put the hut on Simcoe, G-Bay, or find a little back lake within a 30 minute drive.

My fishin partner lives in Alcona, so I will be down there a few times for sure.

What would you do. I enjoy all types of fishing. I would love to find a good crappie lake.. Some winter walleyes would be great too!

These are my options right now... More are welcome!

Simcoe - off Alona somewhere (40 minute drive, but lots of whitefish!)

Simcoe, in the north part of the lake (a little closer drive - say 25 minutes)

Penitang bay - only 15 minutes from my house.

Wuabushene (20 minute drive)

6-Mile (30 minute drive)

This will be my fist year leaving my hut out all year. I'm converting it from a homemade flip up, to a solid hut.

One other thing to consider is my tow vehicle.. A 250 bravo. :ninja: .. So it can't be a long tow. Something within a few km of shore.

Any input would be great.

Hut3.jpg

Hut2.jpg

Hut1.jpg

I'd have a portable and hit all 5 spots you listed over the winter. I like the change of scenery idea myself. However, if I have to pick one it would be Simcoe as well. You might get more use out of the hut (mid week escapes) if it's closer to home though.

Edited by fishnsled

well you said you have done simcoe for years,why not try a change,and leave it close to your new home,and hit some smaller lakes and like FS said you might be able to get out mid week,and you would be sheltered from the really nasty weather on them smaller lakes,and might be alot easier to get to and you would save gas money too !!!! find a little trout lake or walleyes and ya some winter crappies would be awesome !!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping:

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Simcoe is a run and gun lake for me 90% of the time. Now that my hut will be a permanent style, I don't know how much I will use it. Probly set it up for perch in one of the bays if I do choose Simcoe. I'm just thinking out loud now.. :whistling:

Edited by N.A.W

why not keep that one the way it is so you can do the trips to other small lakes and make a bigger one as the perm hut?

This was my first attempt at building a portable hut. I messed up. Made it far to heavy for a portable. That's why I want to convert it to a permanent hut. I don't get any use out of it as a portable unit. It's just a little to heavy for the Bravo to be towing it all over the lake. I only run it when my fishing buddies bring their quads..

Edited by N.A.W

Try it out in penetang. If you dont like it there or get bored relocate. I still have to show you that one spot we talked about aswell.

I look forward to that!

I would do the GB thing. Less of a chance that you open your hut door to find a big triple coiler laying on the floor.

Edit: Typo

:rofl2::stretcher:

Can't say I've ever herd of someone's hut being used as an out-house. But I'm sure it has happened. That's brutal eh..

there are some spots on GB that do every well and there are a wide range of fish

you can't miss the spots, some you see form shore and others you need to travel on the lake a bit but the large group of huts are there for a reason

once you learn the spots, yo will do well

and run and gun over on simcoe less often, I don't fish GB enough to do real well but I do like fishing there

there are some spots on GB that do every well and there are a wide range of fish

you can't miss the spots, some you see form shore and others you need to travel on the lake a bit but the large group of huts are there for a reason

once you learn the spots, yo will do well

and run and gun over on simcoe less often, I don't fish GB enough to do real well but I do like fishing there

Maybe we need a G2G on GBay this year. We'll all meet at NAW's hut. :)