Centre pin reels

davey buoy

Bearings should last a long long time. People usually screw them up when they try to take them out, lol!!

One thing I notice after fishing a local trib is that my guides are super dirty.. If the reel isn't soaked with egg juice, I'll usually just clean the inserts with a q-tip and a bit of soap. As for the reel I usually give it a good once over after every few trips.. If it's not dirty, I don't clean it. One drop of Singers Sewing machine oil per bearing should last an entire season if I don't dunk it over and over.

I personally try and not to dunk my reels, but if it happens, it happens.. Not a big deal.

I hate it when people dunk there reels personally. Sure if your going to pay that much for a reel you might as well show it off, just don't get one for the purpose of showing it off.. It's NOT good to dunk it so why would you? Your just washing dirt into your reel and oil out... And yes I'm sure some people will only do it with there last fish before they leave the river and ok, that might not be so bad but the rest of you.... WHY????

I hate it when people dunk there reels personally. Sure if your going to pay that much for a reel you might as well show it off, just don't get one for the purpose of showing it off.. It's NOT good to dunk it so why would you? Your just washing dirt into your reel and oil out... And yes I'm sure some people will only do it with there last fish before they leave the river and ok, that might not be so bad but the rest of you.... WHY????

I didn't know getting a reel wet would cause it to immediately explode. You make it sound like guys are sticking 2ft in to the mud, lol.

Really, how? I said it can wash dirt into your reel? Dirt in your reel can make a day on the river a short one. Why risk it bill?

That dirt goes away as easy as it comes in. Dunk it in some clean water, give it a shake and you are back in business.

There isn't much to them.. Usually it's just a bit of grit in between the backplate and the spool.

For a whole buch of reasons not just the ones you mentioned. One would be you wanna take a quick pic so that you can release the fish asap and you don't think and just lay your reel where ever you are, in this case, on the water take the pic and off you go give the reel a quick rinse and off to fish again...i see your point about showin off though.

Edited by spinnerdoc

That dirt goes away as easy as it comes in. Dunk it in some clean water, give it a shake and you are back in business.

There isn't much to them.. Usually it's just a bit of grit in between the backplate and the spool.

Agree. The simplest way to get gunk out of a centrepin is to give it a quick dip. Some amount of sand and grit will always find a way in there, no matter how careful one might be - especially when using reels with lots of porting.

I think the manufacturers will have designed a fishing reel with the possibility of it getting wet in mind ;)

Excessive oiling will attract and retain more dirt than any dunking in a river but with sealed bearing the amount of water that actually gets in will be miniscule.

Well, perhaps you should just be glad that it's not your money they're playing with, or really any of your business what they do with their stuff.

Well, perhaps you should just be glad that it's not your money they're playing with, or really any of your business what they do with their stuff.

Bad mood Rich? LOL Hope alls well.

I got a bit of sand in mine my first outting and remembered what I was told. Flush it with some river water. No worries. When I got home,rinsed it in the sink. :thumbsup_anim:

ive never seen someone dunk the reel, and even if they did who cares - the reels are made to be durable - unless your fishing in mud you should be fine! and if there is grit in the reel, open it up, clean it out, put it back together and land fish!

Sometimes I get bad line twist right at the tip of my 13.5ft Loomis/Islander combo and when your standing in the middle of the river there's only one way to fix it as far as I'm concerned. The pole floats so I just lay it in the water and go to the tip. Got to be carefull in fast water cause if you fumble and loose contact its bye bye pole :o