Post pics of your Portable/pop-up Hut

BucktownAngler

Post up your pics of your portable/pop-up huts (inside & out). id like to see what type youre using and how you set it up on the inside.

Im about to purchase one, and trying to figure out which type will suit my needs best.

Does anybody cook inside of their portable? Sleep inside?

what type of heaters do you find work the best, chairs, cots, etc.

Do you guys clear out the snow on your spot, or just set up on the snow?

Thx guys....feel free to add anything that should be mentioned.

I have a BP2 Thermal made by icearmor. I really like the thermal material as it is more durable and keeps you much warmer. Only drawback is the slight weight difference. Never slept inside it but probably could...

This model has a bench seat also. I heat it with a small coleman heater and it gets plenty warm, I also use it to warm food wrapped in tinfoil. I find the big advantage to these huts is simply using them to get out of the wind more than anything.

If the snow is deep, clear a spot by kicking the snow out of the way, then kick it back over the skirt around the bottom to keep the wind out.

Rio08013.jpg

Rio08010.jpg

Edited by Trouty

depends...

i ice fish alone 9 out of 10 days...

so i got a larger one man...

i got a clam fish trap pro flip over style shelter....

i can fish 2 rods... have a heater...a vexilar... and a minnow pail in my shack...

i can actually squeeze in another person if u put the gear outside... just 2 rods and the vexilar inside... i do this with the girlfriend... and im 6'4" pushing 300lbs

if you fish with others... then definatly get a 2-3 man shelter...

either way... get a flip over style with a sled base...(if your vehicle can fit it) this way the sled base holds all your gear on the walk/drive out

as for seats... buckets are good for storage of gear... but you sacrifice comfort... my fish trap shack has a built in boat style seat... i like it cause you can lean back and your back is supported...

didn't get a picture of it on the the ice but this is setup in the basement after i bought it

Clam Base Camp Thermal ..

just bought it last winter at BPS and used it a couple of times, a little heavy to carry while walking out ... but once its up it has lots of room, its says 3-4 but with gear and room to stand up and move around 2 people is fine

heats up nice with a coleman heater and didn't drip condensation, i'll get pictures in the field this year .. already itching for first ice fishing trip.... LOL

019.jpg

Terry failed to mention,he has a nice piece of foam to put your feet on. Yes,it makes a world of difference.

As for your snow question,I like to clear the snow where I am put.I use the snow to hold down the flaps.

I dont have a pic of mine,but it,s the black tarped HT Polar express. One man.Whats nice about this hut is,when the suns out nice and strong,you dont need a heater most of the time. It,s a little small,but when yer dragging it out by hand,it,s ok.Would go bigger,if I had a machine to pull it around.Oh wait,I do,I just dont own it. :whistling:

I have 2 huts right now.

A cube that I use for early season walkouts and a 2 man Frabil flipover to use once the ice is safe for sled travel.

Here's a couple of shots of the flipover in action.

Grace_12_25_10_4.jpg

Grace_12_25_10_3.jpg

And the only shot I have of the cube so far.

They work great as a washroom tent when winter camping too. :D

P3280018.jpg

i ended up picking up a HT Instashak 4-man popup.

950776.jpg

I noticed Le Barons had them on sale in their fall catalog.

Le Baron Sale

I went to Le barons in Markham today on lunch, they had none in stock...the guy said they wont be in for a month, and he already had a waiting list of people for when they do come in. so i added myself to the list

I happened to find the same hut on Canadian Tire website, so i printed out Le barons ad, brought it to CT and had them price match it.

CT Instashak

$299 at CT got it for $152 +tax...also got back $15 CT money as part of their price match guarantee :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

I was using this one all last season:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10352729&search=ice+shelter&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=ice+shelter&Ntt=ice+shelter&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I was really impressed with it quality - material is really good - 600d polyester (most of cheap pop-up shelter are 300 d polyester), good zippers and poles.

Price is good too - it was $203 with taxes delivered to my door.

i ended up picking up a HT Instashak 4-man popup.

950776.jpg

I noticed Le Barons had them on sale in their fall catalog.

Le Baron Sale

I went to Le barons in Markham today on lunch, they had none in stock...the guy said they wont be in for a month, and he already had a waiting list of people for when they do come in. so i added myself to the list

I happened to find the same hut on Canadian Tire website, so i printed out Le barons ad, brought it to CT and had them price match it.

CT Instashak

$299 at CT got it for $152 +tax...also got back $15 CT money as part of their price match guarantee :thumbsup_anim:

Wow, I was eyeballing this exact one from Canadian Tire. That's a way better price... Especially since I don't know how much I'll actually be ice-fishing, or if I'll even like it... Man, now I am really considering pulling the trigger on this. Does it seem good?

Wow, I was eyeballing this exact one from Canadian Tire. That's a way better price... Especially since I don't know how much I'll actually be ice-fishing, or if I'll even like it... Man, now I am really considering pulling the trigger on this. Does it seem good?

Hey Dana, I just did the same thing and bought this from our local CTC. Had to convince them that it was the exact same item. Hard to believe they had it on for $299.00 and we ended up paying $152.00. I had my son print out the on-line flyer from Lebaron as proof. The store still called LeBarons to double check the price.

We had it set up out on our lawn the other night. It set up very quick and looks reasonable in over all quality. I figure its more a comfortable 2-man than a 3-4 man hut with gear. They claim to have a 90" X 90" set up size (well thats the outer most points of the cube)and a base size of 70" X 70" and a full 84" in the center for head room.

We are planning on using this for our early ice perch fishing rather than dragging out our flip-overs.

Cheers.

I really doubt my local Canadian Tire 1) has them in stock and 2) would actually price-match an online flyer for a store that isn't within a like 4-5 hour radius from me. :( I'd have to online order from Le Baron if I want it. But the shipping is probably like $150. lol

Edited by Dana

The OP asked about sleeping in a portable hut. Has anyone done this? I'm inclined to think that without some kind of a floor to insulate from the cold of the ice, it would be pretty hard to get it warm enough in there to spend a comfortable night. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to try it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

The OP asked about sleeping in a portable hut. Has anyone done this? I'm inclined to think that without some kind of a floor to insulate from the cold of the ice, it would be pretty hard to get it warm enough in there to spend a comfortable night. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to try it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I know people that have done it.

It's not too bad if you use a cot for sleeping on.

I have had friends just sleep in their fishing chairs though.

Sounds pretty uncomfortable to me. <_<