NF - Tires

John Bacon

I will be replacing the tires on my GMC Jimmy soon. One dealer that I have emailed is recommending Dean Wildcat A/T tires at $153/tire installed (P265 75R15). I had not previously heard of Dean tires before. I beleive they are made by Cooper.

Is anybody familiar with these tires? Are they a good tire? Is the price reasonable?

I have a GMC Jimmy, most of my driving will be on pavement but I do like to go off road once in a while. Are there any particular tires that anyone can suggest?

Micheline LTX MS2

Best tires and longest lasting...

Also when buying tires I get mine at Costco, you get lifetime rotation AND BALANCING, free flat repair and they fill the tires with nitrogen...

that to me is worth the added cost...

also stock size tires on your jimmy are 235-70-15, but the standard tire size is 235-75-15 that'll add 3km/hr at 100kph...

Micheline LTX MS2

Best tires and longest lasting...

Also when buying tires I get mine at Costco, you get lifetime rotation AND BALANCING, free flat repair and they fill the tires with nitrogen...

that to me is worth the added cost...

also stock size tires on your jimmy are 235-70-15, but the standard tire size is 235-75-15 that'll add 3km/hr at 100kph...

Thanks, the 235-70-15 may be standard on a base Jimmy. I have the off road package; the 265-75-15's that I am running now are the original tires. I assume that the speedometer would set accordingly.

I tried checking Costco on line and they didn't list 265-75-15's... I may try dropping by the store to see if they stock more sizes.

did you have the off-raod package jimmy that came with 31x10.5r15 oem?

if not the 265 will be a little tall for your truck, as the either came with 235/70 or 235/75r15 tires

dean arn't a bad tire built to a price point, in AT configuration may be a little noisy. but not to bad a price

Michelin ltx ms/2 super smooth riding tire good in the rain and handling department not any good in off road situations, warranty is 115k

ltx at2 good tire all around has decent on and off road manners

goodyear wrangler silent armour very good AT tire quiet quiet smooth kevlar reinforced light tire don't lose as much fuel economy with these tires as you would a bfg AT ta, number 1 tire in the mining industry for resisting rock punches 80k warranty have seen them with 180 though still lots of life.

Bfg AT ta, very good aggressive all terrain tire also built very heavy puncture resistent but gas milage will suffer as much as 10% in some application i.e deisel suburban we had went from 850 tank to 680km a tank but it nevr got stuck, bfg is a michelin product

anything you need to know fire a pm

goodyear wrangler silent armour is the best tire i have come across. may be a little pricier than the tires mentioned but has the best combination of performance, low road noise, traction, and durablity. not too mention a fairly aggressive look as well.

while i was never terrbily impressed with the michelins, there must be something to them as they seem to get a lot of good reviews.

personally, if i can't identify/never heard of a manufacturer i think there is a reason for that. 150$ for something other than the big names doesn't seem that sharp for a 15" tire.

good luck

I am on my 2nd set of Firestone Destination A/Ts on a 2nd vehicle (both Jeeps) Would recommend these tires to anyone. Handle snow, dirt, even mud to a degree (those obvoisly not like a M/T tire) and on the highway are nice & quiet. You'd never know they're an AT and they are priced well.

my opinion is that the Michelin LTX ATs are just about the worst tire for anything but pavement (which they are great at) - they are terrible off road.

Edited by Raf

I am on my 2nd set of Firestone Destination A/Ts on a 2nd vehicle (both Jeeps) Would recommend these tires to anyone. Handle snow, dirt, even mud to a degree (those obvoisly not like a M/T tire) and on the highway are nice & quiet. You'd never know they're an AT and they are priced well.

my opinion is that the Michelin LTX ATs are just about the worst tire for anything but pavement (which they are great at). But they are terrible off road.

I just switched to the Destination A/Ts and love them so far. I only used Michelin LTXs till now and they started off great but I had to replace them far too soon.

goodyear wrangler silent armour very good AT tire quiet quiet smooth kevlar reinforced light tire don't lose as much fuel economy with these tires as you would a bfg AT ta, number 1 tire in the mining industry for resisting rock punches 80k warranty have seen them with 180 though still lots of life.

Ernie put a set of these on my Dakota a few years ago and they've done everything I've ever asked of them. I highly recommend.

i grabbed a set of dunlop radial rover rvxt 235 75 r15 for my old dakota and couldnt believe how good they were in snow and light mud. my 2wd dakota would only get stuck after she bottomed out after installing those tires. i ran them for 2 years before i sold the truck and they were barely worn and i think it was around 5-550 after taxes rom canada tire during a buy 3 get 1 free sale...

now im in search of some reasonably priced winter tires for the ram. im kinda scared to look. lol

Check Kijiji for your tires. I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and just replaced my stock dunlops with a set of Hercules Trail Diggers M/T (also made by Cooper) that I got from a guy on Kijiji. $400 for the set. Yes, they were used but barely. His wife didn't like the road noise. His loss is my gain!! Still had the "blue" on the raised white lettering. These tire look bad ass!

As BillM said, BFG are awesome tires as well......they were almost my choice. I just wanted a little chunkier tire and something that you don't normally see on an FJ Cruiser.