Apples Galore - Record Crop!!! - NF

Leecher

Every year, around this time, I look forward to picking apples off the tree. I only have one in the back yard.... a 6 year old Macintosh :) (there are other trees near by from my neighbors) I've been keeping an eye out on the ones that fall off and the last few days, found a couple every time I got home from work.... this tells me it's time B) and got busy picking :D

The tree is not a big one, I planted it in 2005... had some very nice apples from it, not in great numbers but this year got a phenomenal amount... around 270 :w00t:

Here's the tree and as you can see.... not a huge one but loaded :w00t:

DSC06610.jpg

A couple more shots from different angles

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06612.jpg

Cluster shots

DSC06617.jpg

DSC06614.jpg

Bigger ones

DSC06620.jpg

DSC06613.jpg

Took me about 45 minutes to picked them off.... here's the results

DSC06632.jpg

Of course, there's always the bad ones :wallbash:

DSC06633.jpg

By the time I finished, it was getting dark and got one last shot of the tree

DSC06634.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

very nice. At least yours are edible I have a crabapple tree in my backyard has so many apples on it branches were breaking. Wife won't let me cut it down. I told my 7 year old i would give him a nickel for everyone he picked up so I could cut the grass and I am now $28 poorer. So far we have picked up over 800 apples from the tree and it still has some on it. If I was ambitious I would try making crabapple Jelly.

Ian

It's a good harvest year, so far, for apples.

Another 10 years and you will be counting bushels instead.

Every one get ready ..... apple trees loaded with apples also means there will be lots of pie in the frig this winterto eat when its SNOWING LIKE CRAZY ....yup! ..... when the trees are loaded we get snow like crazy , been watching this happen for most of my life and its usaly bang on .

very nice. At least yours are edible I have a crabapple tree in my backyard has so many apples on it branches were breaking. Wife won't let me cut it down. I told my 7 year old i would give him a nickel for everyone he picked up so I could cut the grass and I am now $28 poorer. So far we have picked up over 800 apples from the tree and it still has some on it. If I was ambitious I would try making crabapple Jelly.

Ian

Thanks Ian!!! That's a lot of crab apples :w00t:

Nice Jacques....enjoy the apple pie.

BEWARE THE 'SWEDISH ELK'

Thanks Simon!!! :lol: you mean the drunken elk :lol:

It's a good harvest year, so far, for apples.

Another 10 years and you will be counting bushels instead.

It just keeps getting better and better every year B)

Every one get ready ..... apple trees loaded with apples also means there will be lots of pie in the frig this winter to eat when its SNOWING LIKE CRAZY ....yup! ..... when the trees are loaded we get snow like crazy , been watching this happen for most of my life and its usually bang on .

Didn't know that :w00t: Thanks Skipper " D "!!!

Hey Leechman, do you spray your tree in the spring or fall with anything? I have an apple tree (golden delicious) but they all seem to have brown spots and they fall off the tree too early. Thx

TUTS, yes I do spray the tree in early spring and throughout the summer with this stuff

DSC06657.jpg

And use this sprayer for the job

DSC06658.jpg

In early spring, as soon as the snow is gone, I spray the tree..... once the buds appear, I spray it again.... then I wait for the flowers to completely fall off and then spay it every 15 days til end of August.

The recommended dosage is 2 table spoons to 3 liters of water from early spring to mid June.... and mid June to end of August is 2 table spoons to 2 liters of water.

The spots you have on your apples is insects that got inside. If you are a hunter, you can use your apples for deer bait

Hope this helps you out!

Jacques

One of the easiest controls for spotting and blighting is applied in spring. It's a tried and true accepted organic practice. You go out and buy a limesulphur/dormant oil kit. The compounds are mixed together with water in a sprayer and you spray the tree before buds start to crack, or after the last melt of snow, whichever is first. The mineral oil works the same way as oiling cormorant eggs. It coats insect eggs left on the tree and kills them. Limesulphur is a simple, yet effective, fungicide. It does smell like rotten eggs, but it works.

One of the easiest controls for spotting and blighting is applied in spring. It's a tried and true accepted organic practice. You go out and buy a limesulphur/dormant oil kit. The compounds are mixed together with water in a sprayer and you spray the tree before buds start to crack, or after the last melt of snow, whichever is first. The mineral oil works the same way as oiling cormorant eggs. It coats insect eggs left on the tree and kills them. Limesulphur is a simple, yet effective, fungicide. It does smell like rotten eggs, but it works.

Great informative tip :thumbsup_anim: Thanks Bruce :clapping:

Lots of Good Eatin' and apple Pie!!

Don't forget the 'Old' Cheddar

Rick

Thanks Rick!!! Ah yes.... apple and cheese :thumbsup_anim: They go great together B)

Found a good recipe this afternoon for converting the not so good looking apples, the ones that are not appetizing looking into apple sauce....

Here's the recipe for those interested, here's the link but it's in French :blush:Cinnamon Apple Sauce

you will need:

6 medium size apples

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup water

1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon

Peel apples and cut into quarters. Remove the heart and cut into little cubes. Place cubes into a large cooking container and add the sugar, cinnamon and water. Cook for 10 minutes stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool.

I just finished my batch that I multiplied this recipe by 8.... I used 48 apples, 8 cups of sugar, 8 cups of water and 4 tea spoon of cinnamon B) Took about 1/2 hour to cook and when it was cool down, used a patato masher to reach a thinner consistancy.

Here's the results:

DSC06659.jpg

It's real good ummmmmm!!!!

Edited by Leechman

just came back from my friends orchard.. they informed me that the apple crop is based on the fall .. the buds for next years crops are already set and on your tree.when picking apples be sure not to injure the bud beside it . when the prune in the dead of winter they or summer pruning .. growing apples is simply not putting a seed in the ground and walking away

They are very sweet and crisp B) I foresee apple pie in my near future :lol:

That is quite the bounty there Jacques. Homemade apple pie is a must!

I have an apricot and nectarine tree. The apricot barely produced this year but the nectarines were aplenty. Looked much like your tree there.

with all those apples you will have a lot of pie

I sure will Corvy :thumbsup_anim:

just came back from my friends orchard.. they informed me that the apple crop is based on the fall .. the buds for next years crops are already set and on your tree.when picking apples be sure not to injure the bud beside it . when the prune in the dead of winter they or summer pruning .. growing apples is simply not putting a seed in the ground and walking away

That's great information chessy!!! Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

That is quite the bounty there Jacques. Homemade apple pie is a must!

I have an apricot and nectarine tree. The apricot barely produced this year but the nectarines were aplenty. Looked much like your tree there.

Thanks Erik!!! That little tree was loaded to the bones.... Hector the ground hog took care of the bottom ones... had he not eaten any, would most likely had around 300 apples :w00t:

I also had to tie some branches to the main stem to avoid breakage :blink: The fruits were concentrated into clusters this year, just amazing B) Nectarine must be nice to grow... do you fine that the birds pick at them?

leechman next year about 2 weeks before harvest .. put tinfoil on the lawn under neath tree it reflects the light and turns the bottom of the apples red.... makes a nice looking apple

It also keeps the Aliens away from the crops.Kinda like a "ScareET"whistling.gif

Well......you can never be too careful ya knowmellow.gif

Thanks Erik!!! That little tree was loaded to the bones.... Hector the ground hog took care of the bottom ones... had he not eaten any, would most likely had around 300 apples :w00t:

I also had to tie some branches to the main stem to avoid breakage :blink: The fruits were concentrated into clusters this year, just amazing B) Nectarine must be nice to grow... do you fine that the birds pick at them?

Usually apricots fruit in late spring/early summer but it was cloudy, cool spring.

Nectarines just ripened perfectly now.

My neighbour just picked plums from his trees which grew in clusters like you described.

Great season for the later fruits.