Gobies in Simcoe and Couchiching

Mattitude

Haven't been around in a while but I thought I should post this. I was at one of my shore spots in Orillia and watched some guy pull out 3 consecutive Gobies. He wasn't sure what they were so he asked me and I looked at it right away and knew (and no it wasn't a sculpin at least from the pictures I've seen) I have a picture on my phone that I will try to upload. I had no idea they were here until today.

unledrqa.png

Edited by Mattitude

Been getting quite a few in the past few years.

I hope it doesn't effect the fish as far as table fair goes.. Herd they are toxic, so i would think if the trout and whities are eating them, then they may become a little toxic too? :dunno:

Been getting quite a few in the past few years.

I hope it doesn't effect the fish as far as table fair goes.. Herd they are toxic, so i would think if the trout and whities are eating them, then they may become a little toxic too? :dunno:

I've caugt trout, whities, and perch full of gobies out of simcoe. They have been in there for a few years for sure. The bottom is covered in them along the SE shore!

S.

Haven't been around in a while but I thought I should post this. I was at one of my shore spots in Orillia and watched some guy pull out 3 consecutive Gobies. He wasn't sure what they were so he asked me and I looked at it right away and knew (and no it wasn't a sculpin at least from the pictures I've seen) I have a picture on my phone that I will try to upload. I had no idea they were here until today.

unledrqa.png

The lakes are filled with them... I went snorkeling a couple weeks back on simcoe and all i could say is WOW ... Gobies everywhere !

Gobies feed on eggs of other species and I wonder how they're explosion has affected the hatch #s of resident fish. Has the MNR been doing any studies? Sure the smallies and big and plump now but what happens in ten years when they die off?

I think the booming fish populations in Lake Erie far more than 10 years after the introduction of gobies proves they'll naturally become part of the species chain like everything else.

Cant argue that Rich. Smallies love them.Wonder why they make Golbie baits now.LOL

Hey there Matt.

Need to make a visit up soon.My poker sence is tingling. :good:

Good to hear from you.

I think the booming fish populations in Lake Erie far more than 10 years after the introduction of gobies proves they'll naturally become part of the species chain like everything else.

Often when there's a new species introduction, a population(s)will boom, and the cycle can be long, 10 years or more, but once the fishery has a few generations, the results could be very different, Lk Erie maybe be doing well now, but smallies, walleye and perch may be seriously hurt in the longer term from gobies

Any gobies making there way up the Trent from Lk Simcoe?