Fish Finder Question

nroadrunner

I purchase a Hummingbird Piranhamax 160 late last year and have yet to hook it up. I have a 12 foot tinny with a minkota trolling motor. A month or so ago there was a topic in which many people posted pictures of how they made fishfinders portable. Some very nice setups I might add. My question is that many of the batteries seemed smaller in size ( I do not know what volt they were) than I would have thought. Do they not need a 12 volt to run? What batteries are being used to run these as I too may make mine portable. So looking for any help for a fishfinder newbie.

Thanks guys

and yes I know this does not mean I will catch more fish LOL

Ian

Before you buy a battery for your PiranhaMAX 160:

1. Establish what your battery power requirements are (i.e. do you want to be able to use your PiranhaMAX 160 for hours or for days without recharging or changing batteries);

2. Find out from Humminbird what the current draw per hour of operation is for the PiranhaMAX 160

Lets assume the current draw is 300 milliamps per hour. Then for 10 hours of operation in a day, you would require 3000 milliamps of power. If you were on a multi-day fishing trip, a 7 amp-hr battery (7000 milliamps) could run your PiranhaMAX 160 for approximately two 10 hour days. Connecting 8 D-cell batteries in series would provide the 12 volts required as well but with a capacity of approximately 12000 milliamps (almost 4 days of operation) for a lot less $ than the cost of the typical 7 amp-hr battery ($25).

Before you buy a battery for your PiranhaMAX 160:

1. Establish what your battery power requirements are (i.e. do you want to be able to use your PiranhaMAX 160 for hours or for days without recharging or changing batteries);

2. Find out from Humminbird what the current draw per hour of operation is for the PiranhaMAX 160

Lets assume the current draw is 300 milliamps per hour. Then for 10 hours of operation in a day, you would require 3000 milliamps of power. If you were on a multi-day fishing trip, a 7 amp-hr battery (7000 milliamps) could run your PiranhaMAX 160 for approximately two 10 hour days. Connecting 8 D-cell batteries in series would provide the 12 volts required as well but with a capacity of approximately 12000 milliamps (almost 4 days of operation) for a lot less $ than the cost of the typical 7 amp-hr battery ($25).

Ya, but if you use the F/F frequently, then your idea of D cells falls far short. I've got a couple of Gell cells that are 20+ years old, still going strong, I think I would be poor buying D cells, not to mention filling up the dump with something that's not reusable. A 12V7A gell with charger is probably less than 2 refills of D cells.

Ya, but if you use the F/F frequently, then your idea of D cells falls far short. I've got a couple of Gell cells that are 20+ years old, still going strong, I think I would be poor buying D cells, not to mention filling up the dump with something that's not reusable. A 12V7A gell with charger is probably less than 2 refills of D cells.

Couldn't agree more. I use a rechargeable 51 amp-hr deep cycle Gel cell battery to power my Lowrance HDS-7. I can get a week of fishing without requiring any recharging - pretty handy when there's no electricity available.

my piranhamax 210 portable gets a good 7-8 days on one set of 8 AA alkaline batteries - just turn the darn thing off when you're not using it and don't use the backlight!! i think this is a much better option than either the 8 D-cells (which should get LOTS more run time than the AA) or a costly rechargeable and charger - (both of which will also find their way into the trash stream - and rechargables fade with use) - especially on a fly-in where weight is an issue and there may not be AC power around.

new sounders are MUCH more power efficieant than the older models.

phish

I purchase a Hummingbird Piranhamax 160 late last year and have yet to hook it up. I have a 12 foot tinny with a minkota trolling motor. A month or so ago there was a topic in which many people posted pictures of how they made fishfinders portable. Some very nice setups I might add. My question is that many of the batteries seemed smaller in size ( I do not know what volt they were) than I would have thought. Do they not need a 12 volt to run? What batteries are being used to run these as I too may make mine portable. So looking for any help for a fishfinder newbie.

Thanks guys

Ian

I should probably get around to getting a proper battery for mine, too... I've just hooked it up to my deep cycle battery for my trolling motor. I'm guessing it's a bad idea, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

There is nothing wrong with doing that at all, Dana. It may result in some interference on the graph, but I would not worry about it. :thumbsup_anim:

Try Sayal Electronics (they are chain). They sell smaller lead acid and AGM batteries of all sizes. I got a small 12v sealed AGM for about 30 bucks there and one of the small Canadian Tire smart chargers. I can get about 6 to 8 hrs of use out of it on my Eagle Portable. I rewired the case with a couple of slide on connectors and the battery fits right inside. Way better than the 8 AA's that I could only get about 3hrs out of.

I should probably get around to getting a proper battery for mine, too... I've just hooked it up to my deep cycle battery for my trolling motor. I'm guessing it's a bad idea, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I do that too...there are no issues with that in my opinion!! If you have a the deep cycle battery then use it I say! I'd just make sure not to run the transducer cable and the power line for the trolling motor alongside each other!

Lots of great suggestions in this thread!

Hey guys my mechanic at work suggested maybe a lawn tractor battery says I should get about 25-30 hours before it needs recharge and I can get one for around$40. Any thoughts on this will it work etc.

Ian

It will work, however if it's a regular lead acid, be careful about spillage. That's why there's gell cells.

Thanks guys

Ian

I've converted one of my fishfinders to portable. I bought a small 12V (not the car battery size). All it needs is a small trickle charger that looks like an adapter to charge a phone. Works well and its lighter.