halton brook trout

northernpike56

Hey all I have been wondering if there are any brook trout in and around the halton region? I have caught a few nice brook trout up in algonquin park before, but I don't know of any other spots to catch them. I have heard that the credit can be good for them, but I was wondering if there was any closer rivers or ponds that I could catch them in. I was out tonight fishing, and dident catch anything. I'll be able to get out tomorrow and/or monday to do some more exploring before trout season closes, and if anyone could point me in the right direction that would mean a lot to me!

Thanks in advance

- Matt

Edited by northernpike56

Hey all I have been wondering if there are any brook trout in and around the halton region? I have caught a few nice brook trout up in algonquin park before, but I don't know of any other spots to catch them. I have heard that the credit can be good for them, but I was wondering if there was any closer rivers or stocked ponds that I could catch them in. I was out tonight fishing around the milton area, and dident catch anything. I'll be able to get out tomorrow and/or monday to do some more exploring before school starts up again, and if anyone could point me in the right direction that would mean a lot to me!

Thanks in advance

- Matt

LOL No one is going to point you to brookies, they have become so rare these days. I know a few spots, they are my favorite fish but they just aren't around anymore in southern ontario. :whistling:

I can put you on them, but you'd have to take me.

Do you fling a fly?

Alfie.

LOL No one is going to point you to brookies, they have become so rare these days. I know a few spots, they are my favorite fish but they just aren't around anymore in southern ontario. :whistling

Alfie.

Actually there are brook trout all over southern Ontario. You just have to find the headwaters of most creeks/rivers.

There habitat is being destroyed due to human development but they are still somewhat abundant if you do a little footwork. The season closes Sept 31st in most places so you have less than a month.

Actually there are brook trout all over southern Ontario. You just have to find the headwaters of most creeks/rivers.

There habitat is being destroyed due to human development but they are still somewhat abundant if you do a little footwork. The season closes Sept 31st in most places so you have less than a month.

Edited by northernpike56

Ok yes there are a few places left, and I know them, but I would not say they are abundant. Most speck fishers will not give you the time of day if you ask for a good spot. Speck streams are well kept secrets.

Alfie.

While driving around Don't pass up even the most unsuspecting trickle coming from a culvert, especially during periods with zero rain activity, in most cases this equals spring feed water that is just the right temp to hold the brookies you are hunting.

Good luck.

Have caught brookies from culverts north of Caledeon and from Geo. Bay tribs. Have even caught some from the side of Hwy 115 from culvert 30 yrs. ago. Not sure of 16 mile creek headwaters never fished it but a road trip up towards Geo. Bay might be fun. #2 Panther Martins dunked in little pools or in culverts might get something interesting up that way. Here is a website that shows a map where they are around.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165833.html

A tip driving around this time of year means a lot of stopping. Do some scouting in February. Speck streams have a consistent temp so when its freezing out they'll be wide open instead of frozen and sometimes even have steam rising from them. Mark said streams on your map and come back and visit them when the season opens.

Funny thing about brookies is, they're treated as the rarest of trout.. yet they are everywhere there's a river, creek or ditch. Push through some bush, and use little lures. I've even caught them around a certain red hill.

Funny thing about brookies is, they're treated as the rarest of trout.. yet they are everywhere there's a river, creek or ditch. Push through some bush, and use little lures. I've even caught them around a certain red hill.

That's funny Rich because its true were you live. The Haldimand Norfolk sandplain is probably the best brook trout soil in Ontario and even scuzzy little ditches have em. If we could only get rid of the rainbows that seem to be getting further and further up the tribs and out competing them I could go back to catching lots of bigguns down there.

While driving around Don't pass up even the most unsuspecting trickle coming from a culvert, especially during periods with zero rain activity, in most cases this equals spring feed water that is just the right temp to hold the brookies you are hunting.

Good luck.

Never know what can be found at the culverts and ditchs. Last season, i seen a lady fly fishing at a ditch, yes she was fishing, I ventured further up stream, 2 conscessions upwhistling.gif

I wasnt disapointed that day, for brookies.