Dropshotting for Species Other Than Bass

Golfisher

dropshotting will work for any fish that swims within the range of where the hook is and that is distance between the hook and the weight that will be on bottom..as a kid fishing with live bait, a dropshot rig was what we used most of the time

Guest skeeter99

been using it for perch before it became popular and someone called it "drop shoting"

works really well for walleye

works when crappie are not biting like they should *spooked*

and of course when walleye fishing the incidental pike or muskie

so it looks like I have almost caught the cycle for freshwater inland lakes anyway

troy

Edited by skeeter99

Works for almost every fish species. I've been dropshotting for more than 50 years. Of course back then it was just called 'fishing with a sinker'.

LOL.

I've been doing it for years. Started doing it ice fishing for brookies and walleye because I was always guesstimating how far I was bringing my bait up off bottom (the difference between 6" and 10" is huge when the fish aren't biting and you want them to :rolleyes: ). Put the sinker below the bait, it hits the bottom before anything else and your minnow is exactly how far up the line you put the hook. Problem solved.

I set my tip-ups the same way.

I see no reason why it would be species specific.

Here's a slight variation to the dropshot rig that I've used while back trolling for walleye. Works great.

Rather then having just a lead weight on bottom use a tube jig or ballhead jig with grub/minnow. Of course, further up the line is your small hook and lively minnow as with traditional bass dropshot rigs. This set-up offers 2 presentations for the price of one and picks up fish on bottom and suspended fish, increasing your odds of hooking up.

Slow trolling for walleye works great with this presentation. It allows you to cover water, easily change depth and keeps 2 baits in the strike zone at all times.

Here's a slight variation to the dropshot rig that I've used while back trolling for walleye. Works great.

Rather then having just a lead weight on bottom use a tube jig or ballhead jig with grub/minnow. Of course, further up the line is your small hook and lively minnow as with traditional bass dropshot rigs. This set-up offers 2 presentations for the price of one and picks up fish on bottom and suspended fish, increasing your odds of hooking up.

Slow trolling for walleye works great with this presentation. It allows you to cover water, easily change depth and keeps 2 baits in the strike zone at all times.

Hey Ben................ :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

The name is new and the idea with the drop shot weights is you lose the weight that is cheaper than losing the bait. You can do the same thing pegging a slip sinker on the line, pressure on a snag will pull the slip sinker off.

Good idea Ben, never tried that. Craw tube on the bottom and minnow tube above it? Give the bass a choice?

I don't know about you guys but when I was a kid I used to shore fish and use a pickeral rig and those things caught just about anything out there....bass, pike, drum, perch, rockbass, sunfish, etc......and a pickeral rig is basically just a glorified way to dropshot right??

Hi All,

I have used drop shots on just about everything that swims and it is awesome! It is something I always have rigged. But this is not something I use to find em. Find em first and then slow down with the drop shot you will love it.

By the way thank you all for the kind emails about the Toyota Texas Bass Classic.

Regards,

Dave Mercer

www.factsoffishing.com