My first musky

Kwan

I arrived at Scugog Causeway late last night at 12am, with my 6'6 medium light spinning abu garcia ready for some walleye/panfish action and I notice people are leaving. One car left. As I step out of my car with backpack, bucket and rod in hand rigged up with a clip to switch between crankbaits and jerkbaits, I notice the last glowing float panfish man is leaving the vacinity, and I can only conclude that the action for panfish is down- GREAT NEWS! Maybe walleye have invaded the area and its my time to shine!

I get to the causeway and the winds are just howling at me, not to mention at the causeway it's a little elevated on the north side so the wind makes it extra tough. The current is rockin', as well, so I know theres no panfish but MAYBE walleye! The wind being so rough, I decide 3 casts with my husky jerk and 1 cast with my secret jerkbait and thats it, I'm going to the other side to catch panfish with a tiny original floater gold.

First cast with the secret jerkbait, i'm on a slow steady retrieve then BAM! Fish on!!! My rod doubles over, I get it away from the weeds, it jumps and I'm thinking bass. 3 pound smallie... It zings my reel over just to the left of me and clears the water. Oh man... 10 pound walleye?!? I'm thinking to myself. After an AWESOME fight with my rod in FULL bent over mode and slowly tightening the drag as the fight wears on, the brute gives in. It still had so much energy left but I pulled it onto the submerged dock for landing, totally amazed at how big it is. A tad longer than half my rod, and GOOD NEWS. I break the line to release it because I'm on 6'lb test, good thing I tied 15 lb flouro leader to the end (because I didn't want to lose my jerkbait), and I revived the fish before releasing it with no tension, it swallowed my jerkbait, o_-. it just sat next to the dock for a few seconds by itself after i figured i couldnt get the hooks out, what an adventure.

Fighting a Musky in the darkness when you arent expecting it would scare the crap outta me too.

Muskies are a blast anytime Paul, but getting them in total darkness is a whole nuther kinda fun :lol:

Congrats on your 1st musky Kwan !!

Muskies are a blast anytime Paul, but getting them in total darkness is a whole nuther kinda fun laugh.gif

Congrats on your 1st musky Kwan !!

good.gif

One step at a time Lew.rofl2.gif Once i replaced the fear of them with respect, i was ok.Takeing my first one in my hands, and feeling it moving and seeing the teeth, and looking into its eyes was a humbling experience for sure.

Like being a dragon hunter.biggrin.gif

...the first 10 I caught scared the pants off me trying to unhook/hold them...and that was in broad daylight! I'm sure catching your first at night would be a bit nerve wracking.

Cripes ya!!

in broad daylight the adrenalin was pumpinthumbsup_anim.gif I am far less fearful now though. I am better prepared for my next one, although i do not ever plan on fishing them alone.For the inexperienced, it would be an accident looking for a place to happen.

to be honest i wanted to get rid of that thing when I saw it flopping on the dock

:thumbsup_anim::clapping::rofl2: Kwan, thank you for the laugh dude. Reminds me of the time I was younger and caught a huge pike whle panfish fishing, ddn't want it anywhere near the boat 'cause I was so scared.

Adrenalin pumpin' rush isn't it?

Reminds me of a time when my buddy and I were out on Buckhorn and came across a guy in a little tinny fighting an obviously big fish. He waved us over and asked if we could land the fish for him, he wanted nothing to do with it but didn't want to cut the line. He passed the rod to me (just a little spinning outfit) and we got the fish landed and released, a nice 40" or so musky. The guy was just happy to get his lure back and not have to get close to the beast.