Sail opening this December in Vaughan

motion

Hey all. I'm sure by now everyone knows Sail is coming to Oshawa and Vaughan soon. Just thought I'd share some good news with you as my son (fishman2202) has landed a part-time job with the new Sail store opening in December of this year.

This is a "dream" job of sorts for him, as he has always talked of working for Bass pro's fishing department. Well I guess this is the next best thing for him.

I'm proud of his persistence with the Human Resources team at Sail and am sure he will do well in his new position as sales associate. He has always offered free advise to others while shopping, now he'll get paid for it!

Cheers!

Hey all. I'm sure by now everyone knows Sail is coming to Oshawa and Vaughan soon. Just thought I'd share some good news with you as my son (fishman2202) has landed a part-time job with the new Sail store opening in December of this year.

This is a "dream" job of sorts for him, as he has always talked of working for Bass pro's fishing department. Well I guess this is the next best thing for him.

I'm proud of his persistence with the Human Resources team at Sail and am sure he will do well in his new position as sales associate. He has always offered free advise to others while shopping, now he'll get paid for it!

Cheers!

Congrats to him, we have a Sail opening near me in the shwa soon, I am wondering how it will compare to Bass Pro for selection and price, I have never been to one!

Congrats to him, we have a Sail opening near me in the shwa soon, I am wondering how it will compare to Bass Pro for selection and price, I have never been to one!

Thanks. I was wondering the same thing for the location in Vaughan with Bass Pro literally just up the road. Never hurts to have competition.

From what I have read and have seen I think those that expect Sail to be a Bass Pro or even Gagnon's will be disappointed. Don't expect Fishing/Hunting to be a big part of what they do.

Edited by John

What will the one in the Shwa do to a place like Gagnon's?

If the smaller shops have always offered a good selection of gear with decent prices and good customer service, they have nothing to worry about. The ones that didn't offer much are the ones that should be concerned.

When BPS opened in Vaughn a few years back, some small shops closed but others continued to thrive because of what they had to offer to clients.

JB's is a perfect example, he's just down the road from BPS but his customer service and gear selection is 2nd to none and he continues as one of the best fishing shops anywhere in Ontario, specially for musky stuff.

Congrats to your son on the new job Motion, I hope it's everything he wanted :thumbsup_anim:

For me Selection is king, price then custommer service. If you don't have what I want. I am not going to buy something I don't want just cause you have a friendly smile or low prices. If two places have what I want, its the cheaper price that gets my buck. If its pretty much a wash then I'll reward the place with better staff. Big box, or small shop doesn't mean much to me as a consumer its all the same.

I was underwhelmed with the selection at the Sail store i went to. BPS is pretty awesome, but I'm still a strong supported of Gagnon's, a smaller single owner store. Not like the "box store" mentality of BPS. Not to mention the people working there are incredibly helpful.

If you haven't been yet, check Gagnon's out!!

Congrats to your son on the new job Motion, I hope it's everything he wanted :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Lew. He has a true passion for the sport and as I have stated before, he know more about the sport at his age than I did at twice his age. He regularly out fishes me and I am perfectly alright with it.

It has always amazed me watching him help less experienced (and typically much older) fishermen choose tackle.

As as side note, he was the first "shopper" to enter the Vaughan Bass Pro store when it opened 7 years ago. I can remember it like it was just yesterday, standing in the dang cold for four hours and watching a then 10 year-old bolt through the cut ribbon, through the front doors............

Tony

Edited by motion

He regularly out fishes me and I am perfectly alright with it.

Funny how none of us ever mind getting out-fished by our kids. My son used to whoop my butt regularily, specially with pickeral, and I loved every minute of it. :D

Good for him!! Further to what Lew said about JB's, Johnny Morris, the founder of BPS was amazed at Brian's store when he came up here prior to the Vaughan store opening. I think the smaller guys that have lots of stock on the shelf and provide good advice will still be around for many years to come.

Good for him!! Further to what Lew said about JB's, Johnny Morris, the founder of BPS was amazed at Brian's store when he came up here prior to the Vaughan store opening. I think the smaller guys that have lots of stock on the shelf and provide good advice will still be around for many years to come.

Thanks. Agreed that JB's is a good store that we shop at as well. It will be interesting to see what Sail will stock in the way of fishing equipment.

congrats to your son! No matter how big or small the selection is I'm sure he will make the best out of it. all it takes is a bit or 'word of mouth' to travel around as to his level of support and service and he will be one busy lad around the store. :thumbsup_anim:

on another note, Gagnons in Osh should not be hurt too bad by Sail, after all they are just hurting themself right now with the much higher prices and customer service going way down hill. I was there for the sale and...nevermind, this is about your son, his love of fishing and a proud dad. CHEERS!!!!!

Thanks. I was wondering the same thing for the location in Vaughan with Bass Pro literally just up the road. Never hurts to have competition.

It all depends on how Gagnon's reacts. For sometime now Gagnon's has been more aggressive on pricing. Some of their deals were awesome and they will be able to offer a better customer experience if they want.

People will go out of their way to go to Sail and say 'may as well go to Gagnon's to check it out'. That will be traffic that Gagnon's never got before and if they make a good impression on that one and only chance then that is good for them.

Sail is not proven in these parts.....success elsewhere does not mean success here.

I look forward to the Sail store giving a little competition to BPS. I got a battery and charger for my humminbird fishfinder for my yak for $10 less at Sail (in Ottawa) than BPS. Also picked up some blackbird floats for the steelhead season that were 20% cheaper at Sail than BPS.

Oh well, another candy store to stop at on the way up north!

congrat to your son, he will love it there. When will he start?

Thanks. He actually starts the first week in October and the store doesn't officially open until the end of November. We are both looking forward to the official opening. I'll try and pass on any information on what they will be carrying and when they actually will be open.