looking at '11 jeep rubicon..opionions

Freshtrax

Looking at a fully loaded rubicon 2door. Leather, nav., Hard and soft tops, bfg a/t tires. Auto tirod disconect the works.. And if i trade my paid of '05 carolla in with all the rebates right now im lookin at 32grand ..any opinions last jeep i had was a 92. Theyv have come allong way im nervous about all the electronics.. One thing i liked about my jeep was how basic it was.

nice vehicle

I don't know much about them but if you go to edit your first post and go to full Editor. you can change/correct the title of the thread

You mean like this,,,,,

I should of bought a Ford?

Just asking. :sarcasm:

If you are going to use your future Rubi to get into back lakes and such, the extra cash is worth it. They are more capable stock than most people will ever need. Will tow a boat fine and they get OK mileage. (You will be in for a shock after gassing the Corolla though) Big lifts and 35's are mostly unnecessary,they just kill gas mileage and drive-ability, unless your are a hardcore wheeler and don't care about those things.

I really like that on the new ones you can pop a section out of the hard top and have a "targa" without having to have some canvas-tent soft top contraption flapping around the other 98% of the time you are driving.

That said, I have had a few Jeeps and have had more than a few issues... My advice would be enjoy it while under warranty and then sell it to someone who 'wheels wants to modify it.

Edited by JTorra

Working on various cars for a living, i can say it's a nice Jeep. Don't worry about the electronics as they are fairly simple compared to stuff like VW BMW and other cars. They do have mechanical issues that are costly to fix, as all Jeeps are. JTorra is dead on with his recommendation.. live it up under warranty then trade it in or sell it off. Jeeps are not nearly as good as they once were!

Do yourself a huge favour and buy the 4 door Sahara. Very little difference between the Rubi and the Sahara. The 4 door give you a much better on road ride and much more room. Just my 0.02............

I would look at the consumer reports before buying anything. In my opinion, Jeeps are not worth the money you have to pay for them.

Buy yourself an old full sized pickup and put a winch on each end. Can't be more basic than that and the yearly cost is next to nil.

If you want a 4 X 4 to cruise the girls downtown, get something real shiny and leave it in town when you go into the bush.

How much is the Rubicon option now? About 9 grand I think, eh?

Do you really need the Dana 44s and locking difs? Where are you planning on taking the thing? Ask yourself (and be honest) whether you really need, or just want that writing on the sides of your hood. Also ask yourself whether or not you'll actually be willing to take your brand new, shiny Jeep into areas that are hard on your paint job and rims.

If you don't actually need a highly capable "out-of-the-box" 4X4 like a Rubi, and just want it...that's OK too. You probably work hard and almost certainly deserve it. Just understand that the more off-road capable a vehicle is, the less practical a daily driver it is. I use my wife's car a fair bit. I'd rather fill that tank and replace those tires.

I've got an '04 with 6 inches of lift and 36 super-swampers. The guy who said those type of modifications are "unnecessary and just kill gas mileage and drive-ability" was probably right, but I couldn't hear him over the sound of so much butt being kicked! ;)

I take it in the bush 12 months a year to places I'd have a hard time getting without a similar vehicle. Also I'm a Jeep head and will admit I just love looking at it. For me, despite certain drawbacks, I have no regrets.

Edited by fishNwire

How much is the Rubicon option now? About 9 grand I think, eh?

Do you really need the Dana 44s and locking difs? Where are you planning on taking the thing? Ask yourself (and be honest) whether you really need, or just want that writing on the sides of your hood. Also ask yourself whether or not you'll actually be willing to take your brand new, shiny Jeep into areas that are hard on your paint job and rims.

If you don't actually need a highly capable "out-of-the-box" 4X4 like a Rubi, and just want it...that's OK too. You probably work hard and almost certainly deserve it. Just understand that the more off-road capable a vehicle is, the less practical a daily driver it is. I use my wife's car a fair bit. I'd rather fill that tank and replace those tires.

I've got an '04 with 6 inches of lift and 36 super-swampers. The guy who said those type of modifications are "unnecessary and just kill gas mileage and drive-ability" was probably right, but I couldn't hear him over the sound of so much butt being kicked! ;)

I take it in the bush 12 months a year to places I'd have a hard time getting without a similar vehicle. Also I'm a Jeep head and will admit I just love looking at it. For me, despite certain drawbacks, I have no regrets.

This sums it up perfect!!!

I had a new one in 2009 and on my first backwoods trip I scratched the crap out of it..... great 57 monthly payments left is all I kept thinking LOL.

If you venture of the beaten path don't buy new , get one 6-7yrs old .

Rubicon's are worth the extra $$$, as long as you plan on hitting trails and not using it as a grocery getter.

I have since sold mine but still miss it.