Muskie on Stocco Lake

Insighzor

Hey there.

My name is John and i own a cottage on Stocco Lake. Iv'e been around for about 10 years now and iv'e yet to land a muskie.

I need some spots to try more than anything and types of lures to use. Iv'e tried splashing with top lures the most in front of

the weedy beds. I really want to land one of these monster fish and i know Stocco has em - iv'e seen people pull out 50 inch+

fish fairly often I just need to know how to tempt one!

Help me!

thanks

I'm not an expert, but from what I've been told, topwater is more for early morning and late light fishing. Concentrate on shallower water...weedbeds etc for that. Once the sun is up this time of year I have trouble finding them in shallower water and they must go deeper.

For me, medium sized to large orange/black combination spinnerbaits and bucktails seem to work well. Good luck!

Topwater...

Top raider

Jackpot

Rumbler

Doc

Cranks... Most cranks will work in that depth this time of year... You dont need to get it right in front of them... Right now I'm catching musky running 5-10 feet off the bottom while trolling... So any cranks that dive 5-20 feet should work...

tried top raider - two colours. got two smashes on it before but nothing takes it.

im going to try perch coloured lures i guess. if theres any other colours people

have had luck with on stocco specifically let me know! Iv'e heard purple from a neighbour but..

you never know.

thanks for all the suggestions guys

May also trying a cast and fast retrieve (just before hitting bottom) with a big flashy spoon and a little 'teaser' mister-twister tail (I like silver spoon with yellow tail on a sunny day) ... 4" Johnson silver minnow with a double twister tail and a trailer-hook works like a charm for those near misses...SHARPEN YOUR HOOKS REGULARLY !

I was in Stoco for a couple hours on Sat, the water is very murky there right now. I ran into Stacy Ash from protackle when I was leaving (he was actually waiting for Theo Fleury to meet him there to take him on a musky charter), he said bright colours (orange/green) would work well. Something highly visable in the stained water. He also said it's a good time of year for bucktails. I like using them because you can burn them over top of the weeds without getting hung up all the time. Of course, I have yet to catch a musky so I'm not the best person to give advice, but at least the pike seem to like them. ;)

What Irishfield said about dark water=dark colours and vice versa makes perfect sense. Think about the colour of the fish you catch in different waters. When I catch fish in murkier waters, they're always darker. In bright crystal clear water they're very light. It's always good trying to duplicate what they're naturally feeding on in that particular body of water while fishing for any predatory fish.

I enjoy Stucco lake alot. I am more of a bass/walleye guy, but when fishing the deep weed edges we tied into a couple musky but they sliced the 65lb braid like butter, never got alook at them.

We were using dark baits, Black and Blues. This was Aug 11.

Wow You guys are changing! I never thought a new person to the board would be able to ask questions about a Specific lake without getting their head ripped off! lol Trust me Musky King you REALLY lucked out, especially without an Into! Welcome aboard!

Edited by Ben_Daniels

Wow You guys are changing! I never thought a new person to the board would be able to ask questions about a Specific lake without getting their head ripped off! lol Trust me Musky King you REALLY lucked out, especially without an Into! Welcome aboard!

Well Ben I've never been one to buy into this "show me your credentials before joining the club" type of guy, as that starts to stink after a while, so maybe me making the first reply saved him. Add to that that I've also never fished Stocco! A lake is a lake, you need to learn to read it and the fish/food within it to gain some success.

Now as to those that spoke of specifics to the lake.... :o:D

Hes just being proactive I'd guess. LOL He's gonna get there eventually, and didnt want to start his post count all over again by having to change his username when he gets there.

How about "Muskie Kidding"whistling.gif LOL

Forget it, save it for me. If you catch one musky you'll have one more than me!

I've only fished Stocco once for a four day weekend. Managed 6 fish but no giants although I did get a fitty to follow. My fish all came casting parallel to lily pad fields in 10 to 15 feet of water using either a smallmouth coloured ZoomR (Not Made any more but one of my favourite jerk baits) or a black sucker/yellow tail Squirrelly Burt. Two of my fish did come off the outside of the island out from the boat launch.