Nf - TENT TRAILERS

Hey gang,

Plain and simple... Thinking of getting one to get off the ground and just be more prepared and all around more comfortable when camping and traveling. We hung out in the wife's cousin's tent trailer last weekend and really enjoyed it. It's a 12 footter that opens up to 27 feet with 2 king size beds, washroom and the whole deal.... Anyways - thoughts, suggestions, likes dislikes hit me!

Thanks again - u guys are an amazing resource!

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

I upgraded from a tent to a tent trailer last year and love it!!!!!

It's so much more comfortable than a tent and I don't have to worry about grizzly bears sniffing at my tent in the middle of the night (it happened twice (I had enough after the second time)) :w00t:

Got a small generator for charging the battery and when I want to run the heater (could even run the heated matresses if I wanted) :thumbsup_anim:

Mine's a Rockwood 1980 model complete with all the toys (got it used from the dealer).

While it has inside cooking facilities I do all my cooking outside so I don't have that big mess to clean up. I leave the stove cover closed and keep my coffee bean grinder and espresso machine there. B)

I wouldn't worry about washroom facilities in a popup they just take up valuable storage space (they're just a porta potty anyway).

Rockwood 1980 Tent Trailer

Here's a few shots of it for your viewing pleasure. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Here she is on location in Alaska.

I'll be back here in three weeks!!!!! :good::good:

Russian_Camp.gif

I picked one up off Kijiji 2 years ago for $500 :worthy: It is worth every penny. Somehow the thing was near mint and needed no work. It's nice having the kids hang out in there and watch a movie or something before they go to bed. Not to mention when it's raining.

She ain't the Cadillac of tent trailers but it does the job quite well.

39228_10150260348180105_746020104_14053132_2250587_n.jpg

40308_10150260349755105_746020104_14053254_5535495_n.jpg

40674_10150260344680105_746020104_14052987_704115_n.jpg

40029_10150260345385105_746020104_14053041_5323276_n.jpg

In March 2006 the wife and I purchased a new pop up tent trailer for a trip out west....we travel through 17 states and Ontario for a distance of 6,500 miles in 30 days. I did extensive research on modifications to the trailer to make life more enjoyable. I found a Pop Up Trailer forum similar to this one for most of my ideas.

We crossed the Continental Divide twice reaching peaks over 11,000 feet. If you have any intentions of traveling with your tent trailer make sure your tow vehicle is up to it and is 100% mechanically sound.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. Here's what we owned back in 2006.

July2006OutWestCampingTrip338.jpg

We sold ours last year and bought a regular travel trailer now sure with the new one set up is 10 min I $iss the old tent trailer open all the flaps and it like sleeping out under the stars but not on the ground the new one doesn't feel much like camping. Things to look for is a stove that mounts on the out side. If used get uderneth an check all around the floor the one I had had a few soft spots the floor was all partical board.

I bought a Tent trailer back in about 1988, it was used but in good shape, I was running a painting business at the time & we were Painting the inside of a few churches a year at the time, The Money I saved on Motel Rooms & Food More then paid for it & my Employees liked it because when we went shopping I said get what want to help cook & they would get Steak, Chicken, Pork Chops what ever it saved me lots of Money &we ate good, plus my kids were 2 & 3 yrs old & we did a lot of camping back then, then we Started Canoeing & Camping on the Saugeen River & I went out & bought a $800.00 Eureka Tent & a Boat & had too many option when the Trailer stated to fall apart, it became my Canoe Trailer that would carry 6 easy & 7 if it had too. Pick what you like & look at used, you may save few bucks to put towards something you might need. I had a 12 X 18 Tarp that I could put up with my 2 & 3 yr olds help, it amazed a few campers that would either offer to help & I say no thanx or just watch & the 1st 4 people that watched in a Drizzle call over & bsay military or Scouts & I said Scouts, they had made a bet while watching, it took 6 or 8 poles depending on the wind nice for eating, bbq, playing games or just staying out of the sun, I know just shut up right, If timing was right like my Grand Daughters get into this I'd diffinately buy another easy too Pull

Thanx & Tight Lines Richard

Gonefishing.gifGonefishing.gif

we bought a brand new rockwood premier 2307 back in 2000. In the 11 years of owning it we have only had to replace the tires,and the power inverter. The furnace,fridge,stove all work like day one.I would suggest to find one with real coil matresses rather than the foam ones,big difference on the back.The add a room comes in handy for cooking,storage or just sitting in during rain showers. Also look for one with a one piece roof,the ones that are 2 piece often have leaking issues.If buying used stay away from ones that have mildew or mold(on tent material),this usually means it has been packed away wet or not vented properly, and damage is done eventually it will rot through new canvas is very expensive.Fleetwood,coleman,starcraft,rockwood,jayco all make excellent tent trailers I would stick to these brand names.

Archer -we are thinking of selling ours in the spring and buying a hybrid. We just want a little more room and less setting up and packing down. I have been thinking the same that it might not seem the same(camping ) by going to a real trailer,at least in a tent trailer you still feel like you are camping.Might have to re-think and maybe buy a bigger tent trailer

Edited by bowslayer

Just make sure Mrs. Ryan picks the model. Then all is golden.

Simon

haha yeah Simon - she's already pointing out "must have's" lol

I upgraded from a tent to a tent trailer last year and love it!!!!!

It's so much more comfortable than a tent and I don't have to worry about grizzly bears sniffing at my tent in the middle of the night (it happened twice (I had enough after the second time)) :w00t:

Got a small generator for charging the battery and when I want to run the heater (could even run the heated matresses if I wanted) :thumbsup_anim:

Mine's a Rockwood 1980 model complete with all the toys (got it used from the dealer).

While it has inside cooking facilities I do all my cooking outside so I don't have that big mess to clean up. I leave the stove cover closed and keep my coffee bean grinder and espresso machine there. B)

I wouldn't worry about washroom facilities in a popup they just take up valuable storage space (they're just a porta potty anyway).

Rockwood 1980 Tent Trailer

Here's a few shots of it for your viewing pleasure. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Here she is on location in Alaska.

I'll be back here in three weeks!!!!! :good::good:

Russian_Camp.gif

Dave - awesome stuff man... I love your trailer and the Alaska on location shot is wicked... BUT thanks to you Ginny added "wrap around seating" as a "must have" lol :wallbash: which obviously makes my search a little tougher..

I picked one up off Kijiji 2 years ago for $500 :worthy: It is worth every penny. Somehow the thing was near mint and needed no work. It's nice having the kids hang out in there and watch a movie or something before they go to bed. Not to mention when it's raining.

She ain't the Cadillac of tent trailers but it does the job quite well.

39228_10150260348180105_746020104_14053132_2250587_n.jpg

40308_10150260349755105_746020104_14053254_5535495_n.jpg

40674_10150260344680105_746020104_14052987_704115_n.jpg

40029_10150260345385105_746020104_14053041_5323276_n.jpg

Dano - I didn't know you had a trailer to... must be nice to have all the toys.... nevermind TWO BOATS haha sweet deal for sure though man, and that's all you need... Ginny's a little more high maintenance :whistling: but I'm looking to spend about $3000.00 at the most..

In March 2006 the wife and I purchased a new pop up tent trailer for a trip out west....we travel through 17 states and Ontario for a distance of 6,500 miles in 30 days. I did extensive research on modifications to the trailer to make life more enjoyable. I found a Pop Up Trailer forum similar to this one for most of my ideas.

We crossed the Continental Divide twice reaching peaks over 11,000 feet. If you have any intentions of traveling with your tent trailer make sure your tow vehicle is up to it and is 100% mechanically sound.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. Here's what we owned back in 2006.

July2006OutWestCampingTrip338.jpg

Thanks BB - Would you be able to point me in the direction of that site you found for trailers? I have a Durango with the 5.7L gas guzzlin' hemi in it so towing won't be much of an issue.... did you find gas mileage was affected much while towing your trailer?

We sold ours last year and bought a regular travel trailer now sure with the new one set up is 10 min I $iss the old tent trailer open all the flaps and it like sleeping out under the stars but not on the ground the new one doesn't feel much like camping. Things to look for is a stove that mounts on the out side. If used get uderneth an check all around the floor the one I had had a few soft spots the floor was all partical board.

Thanks for the tips - def. going to look at the floor and pop out bed bottoms... I'm going to have them set it up and take it down with me to make sure everything seems sound as well... any other tips are hugely appreciated...

I bought a Tent trailer back in about 1988, it was used but in good shape, I was running a painting business at the time & we were Painting the inside of a few churches a year at the time, The Money I saved on Motel Rooms & Food More then paid for it & my Employees liked it because when we went shopping I said get what want to help cook & they would get Steak, Chicken, Pork Chops what ever it saved me lots of Money &we ate good, plus my kids were 2 & 3 yrs old & we did a lot of camping back then, then we Started Canoeing & Camping on the Saugeen River & I went out & bought a $800.00 Eureka Tent & a Boat & had too many option when the Trailer stated to fall apart, it became my Canoe Trailer that would carry 6 easy & 7 if it had too. Pick what you like & look at used, you may save few bucks to put towards something you might need. I had a 12 X 18 Tarp that I could put up with my 2 & 3 yr olds help, it amazed a few campers that would either offer to help & I say no thanx or just watch & the 1st 4 people that watched in a Drizzle call over & bsay military or Scouts & I said Scouts, they had made a bet while watching, it took 6 or 8 poles depending on the wind nice for eating, bbq, playing games or just staying out of the sun, I know just shut up right, If timing was right like my Grand Daughters get into this I'd diffinately buy another easy too Pull

Thanx & Tight Lines Richard

Gonefishing.gifGonefishing.gif

Thanks Richard - this post of yours helped me convince my wife! :thumbsup_anim: she likes the idea of staying in our own trailer instead of paying to rent a cabin, or hotel if we go to places like darian lake or marine land with the kids....

we bought a brand new rockwood premier 2307 back in 2000. In the 11 years of owning it we have only had to replace the tires,and the power inverter. The furnace,fridge,stove all work like day one.I would suggest to find one with real coil matresses rather than the foam ones,big difference on the back.The add a room comes in handy for cooking,storage or just sitting in during rain showers. Also look for one with a one piece roof,the ones that are 2 piece often have leaking issues.If buying used stay away from ones that have mildew or mold(on tent material),this usually means it has been packed away wet or not vented properly, and damage is done eventually it will rot through new canvas is very expensive.Fleetwood,coleman,starcraft,rockwood,jayco all make excellent tent trailers I would stick to these brand names.

Archer -we are thinking of selling ours in the spring and buying a hybrid. We just want a little more room and less setting up and packing down. I have been thinking the same that it might not seem the same(camping ) by going to a real trailer,at least in a tent trailer you still feel like you are camping.Might have to re-think and maybe buy a bigger tent trailer

Thanks for the tips - all great stuff... ever heard anything about Palamino Trailers? I've seen a few around but they're not in your "excellent trailer" list haha... Like the rockwood's to as my wife loves the wrap around seating like in Dave's.... We have 3 kids all little now, but would like to buy something they can grow into.. any suggestions on minimum size trailer etc. My wife insists on 1 king and 1 queen minimum for beds haha anywyas, thanks again - huge help!

Not sure where you are but today driving between St.Thomas and Tillsonburg I seen 5 tent trailers for sale on front lawns.

I drive to St. Thomas all the time...wife isn't feeling good today so I'm on kid and baby duty or we'd take a drive....

Here the forum site I used.......

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php

Items that we had purchased and I can highly recommend are:

Gizmos Solar Covers....http://www.puxtradingpost.com/shop/product.php?productid=16147&cat=290&page=1

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=72435.0

Awning Mat....keeps a lot of dirt from entering your trailer.

A BAL LEVELER.........this device is GREAT especially if you are traveling a lot...

http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

A air conditioner....we camped in 108 degree heat at Zion National Park in UT...without that A/C it would have been impossible and that's with the Gizmos covers.

And last but not least a 1/2" chuck heavy duty drill to lower and raise the unit.

You will probably lose about 4-5 miles per gallon.....I was getting only 14 mpg with my 2002 Ford Escape while towing on level highways....much MUCH worse in the Rocky Mountains, but there you are just thankful that you made it up to the top without blowing a tranny....and don't forget you need to add a towing control for the electric brakes.

Hope this helps.....you have a TON of reading to do... :whistling:

Bob

Dave - awesome stuff man... I love your trailer and the Alaska on location shot is wicked... BUT thanks to you Ginny added "wrap around seating" as a "must have" lol :wallbash: which obviously makes my search a little tougher..

You're welcome, glad I could help!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I was lucky to find this trailer locally here in Yellowknife. It was in mint condition until the trip to Alaska. Be forewarned campers do not like dirt roads!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

By the time I got to Alaska I had a long list of repairs to take care of. I had broken trailer brake wires, sheared off the drain valve on the water tank, broke both front marker lights and lost one rear lens cover, broke the battery box, the front of the trailer looks like it was hit with a ball pein hammer a crap load of times, sand/dirt got into the lift mech and it took a lot of work to clean it out and I had a rock bounce off the front of the trailer and come through the back window of my Honda Pilot!!!! It's in storage in Alaska as that's where I use it and the cost to tow it there and back in gas alone is more than the storage fees.

Now I just have to drive there, hitch it up and tow it a few miles to the place I stay. :good:

If you are looking to spend $3K max you are probably going to have to settle on a 90's vintage trailer. They hold their value really well it seems. Mine is a 2004 bought in 2010 and was $6,500.

But it did have a ton of options

◦ 20,000 BTU Forced Air Furnace w/ Electric Ignition

◦ Carbon Monoxide Detector

◦ Large 1.9 Cubic Ft. 3 Way Refrigerator

◦ Thermostatically Controlled Heated Bed Mattresses

◦ Option Pkg. A (Incl. Privacy Curtains, Roof Valances, 4” Foam Cushions w/ Cover, Under Floor 20 Gallon Fresh Water Tank, A/C Bracing, Patio Light, 110V Exterior Outlet)

◦ Option Pkg. B (Incl. Spare Tire, Tire Bracket, Tire Cover, Installed Step, Awning)

As for gas milage I used about $400-$500 more on a 6,000km round trip than I do without the trailer behind me. Mind you a good portion is through the mountains and that in it's self is harder on gas.

My parents have a Rockwood very similar to Drifter's. They love it. It has been all over the place. There last big trip with it was across the country to B.C., Yukon, and Alaska for a month last spring-early summer. I have used it Algonquin a number of times and I love it too.

Here it is in Algonquin with my truck and my old boat.

IMG_1076.jpg

I have been lookin lately to but I'm looking for a full trailer and much cheaper to fix up if I see any in your price range I will let ya know .all I'm looking for is 1 that is structuraly sound so I can gut it and make it all open with bunks to sleep on but still has to be nice enough that the family can spend the weekend in it .

You're welcome, glad I could help!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I was lucky to find this trailer locally here in Yellowknife. It was in mint condition until the trip to Alaska. Be forewarned campers do not like dirt roads!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

By the time I got to Alaska I had a long list of repairs to take care of. I had broken trailer brake wires, sheared off the drain valve on the water tank, broke both front marker lights and lost one rear lens cover, broke the battery box, the front of the trailer looks like it was hit with a ball pein hammer a crap load of times, sand/dirt got into the lift mech and it took a lot of work to clean it out and I had a rock bounce off the front of the trailer and come through the back window of my Honda Pilot!!!! It's in storage in Alaska as that's where I use it and the cost to tow it there and back in gas alone is more than the storage fees.

Now I just have to drive there, hitch it up and tow it a few miles to the place I stay. :good:

If you are looking to spend $3K max you are probably going to have to settle on a 90's vintage trailer. They hold their value really well it seems. Mine is a 2004 bought in 2010 and was $6,500.

But it did have a ton of options

◦ 20,000 BTU Forced Air Furnace w/ Electric Ignition

◦ Carbon Monoxide Detector

◦ Large 1.9 Cubic Ft. 3 Way Refrigerator

◦ Thermostatically Controlled Heated Bed Mattresses

◦ Option Pkg. A (Incl. Privacy Curtains, Roof Valances, 4” Foam Cushions w/ Cover, Under Floor 20 Gallon Fresh Water Tank, A/C Bracing, Patio Light, 110V Exterior Outlet)

◦ Option Pkg. B (Incl. Spare Tire, Tire Bracket, Tire Cover, Installed Step, Awning)

As for gas milage I used about $400-$500 more on a 6,000km round trip than I do without the trailer behind me. Mind you a good portion is through the mountains and that in it's self is harder on gas.

lol I don't plan on doing a whole lot of off roading! Thanks for all the info man much appreciated! Love that trailer!

I had no difference in gas mileage towing mine. I forgot that i was towing it most of the time. I doubt the mileage in the durango will change much.

Yeah I figure it can't get much worse! lol :wallbash:

My parents have a Rockwood very similar to Drifter's. They love it. It has been all over the place. There last big trip with it was across the country to B.C., Yukon, and Alaska for a month last spring-early summer. I have used it Algonquin a number of times and I love it too.

Here it is in Algonquin with my truck and my old boat.

IMG_1076.jpg

Nice boat and truck to! I'll take the whole package! :whistling: thanks for then post, just makes me more anxious'

I have been lookin lately to but I'm looking for a full trailer and much cheaper to fix up if I see any in your price range I will let ya know .all I'm looking for is 1 that is structuraly sound so I can gut it and make it all open with bunks to sleep on but still has to be nice enough that the family can spend the weekend in it .

Let me know if u need any help with the Reno if you find one... You should be able to buddy theres lots of them put there! Thanks for keeping an eye put!

Yeah I know man id love to budget for 5 grand and the ones Ginny has been looking at are in that range but the fact is that 3 grand is way more in our affordability range... There's some nice 1995 to 2000 trailers close to that price.... Something like this....

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-1997-Rockwood-Premier-Hard-Top-Pop-Up-Trailer-W0QQAdIdZ305282179

Ryan - buying a tent tailer was the best thing my wife and I did for camping with the kids. You'll love it and it doesn't have to be extravagant. We did plenty of tent camping with our two kids while they were small and enjoyed it, but buying a small tent trailer made the whole experience much more enjoyable. In bad weather you could still function, and move around and best of all you were off the ground. Much more comfortable and much more convenient. We used ours a ton - but after the cables busted putting more money into it just didn't make sense and the unit pretty much rotted away after that. But it didn't owe us anything that's for sure. Kinda wish we still had it though - now that the kids have grown up my wife and I have done a bit of tenting again - and a trailer would make that a much more enjoyable/easier exercise !!

Ryan - buying a tent tailer was the best thing my wife and I did for camping with the kids. You'll love it and it doesn't have to be extravagant. We did plenty of tent camping with our two kids while they were small and enjoyed it, but buying a small tent trailer made the whole experience much more enjoyable. In bad weather you could still function, and move around and best of all you were off the ground. Much more comfortable and much more convenient. We used ours a ton - but after the cables busted putting more money into it just didn't make sense and the unit pretty much rotted away after that. But it didn't owe us anything that's for sure. Kinda wish we still had it though - now that the kids have grown up my wife and I have done a bit of tenting again - and a trailer would make that a much more enjoyable/easier exercise !!

Replacing the cables isn't that big a deal if you're at all handy. ;)

Tent trailers are great. As kids, we camped all over Ontario with my parents in a 1978 Bonair tent trailer.

I still have the trailer, though far from road worthy these days, we still set it up at the house every summer for extra sleeping room.

• 2 months later...

I also upgraded this year from a tent to a 1997 fleetwood 8ft. The wife and love it! No more sleeping on the ground and my personal favorite- cupboards!! You know all that little stuff you forget on a trip, well, it's already in there!! Just have to pack food, clothes and beer and off I go.. Also mine has a fridge and furnace, which is sweet.. Lunchmeat, vegetables and milk carton stay dry and the furnace extends the season.. We are actually using it for the last time this year at a friends house to crash in after a Halloween party.. Hope I don't run out of propane!!