rough cut lumber

Freshtrax

Hey guys i need help. I have bin trying to find some rough cut white oak lumber. But sawmills dont generaly have websites or advertise in the yellowpages unfortunatly. Im workin on a cedar strip runnabout and need to replace a bunch of ribs.. Boatshops charge an arm and a leg i would rather give my money to some hillbilly in the woods with a family owned sawmill... Anyone have any ideas? Also anyone know where to find solid brass nails and screws?

Well i spent 5 hours last sunday looking in my uncles woodlot for a sutable white oak to send to the mill. Checked every tree in 40 acres.. Only found two. One was too small. And one i would have felt realy guilty cutting down for 250 board ft of lumber. It was 80 ft tall and HUGE. So we called his neibour and he conviently had a green log he would cut up for 2bucks a board foot. It worked out quie well

Well i spent 5 hours last sunday looking in my uncles woodlot for a sutable white oak to send to the mill. Checked every tree in 40 acres.. Only found two. One was too small. And one i would have felt realy guilty cutting down for 250 board ft of lumber. It was 80 ft tall and HUGE. So we called his neibour and he conviently had a green log he would cut up for 2bucks a board foot. It worked out quie well

If its still in log form it going to need about a year and a half to season once its cut and thats probably still pushing it. Problem is no one really builds boats using white oak anymore. So there is no market for air dried material. It mostly gets cut up into Kiln Dried Qrtd White Oak and is used in furniture and millwork applications.

I can get air dried black ash up here and I have a pile of air dried red oak that I cut and dried myself for furniture.

We have a yard that sells ash strips 16 and 18 feet long for gunwales but they are pretty proud of them.

The ribs are all bieng steamed. Steaming works best with green oak anyways. The transom and keel boards 2 1/4 inch stuff were gonna stack (spaced) under a pile of my uncles stuff. And check the moisture content in the spring. Hopefully it will be ready to go. The reason red oak is unacceptable is it lets water in the ends of the boards and rots really fast compared to white oak. Wich has a totaly different cell structure. Theres gonna be a vintage 35 hp eatons viking hangin of the back.. Im building for strength. I promise pictures to come