Humminbird Warning !

Fish Farmer

Carling eh? Bet you remember Hey Mable..Black Label :thumbsup_anim:

Fisherman, your tellin your age :D

OH! The good old days.

Funny though, we caught more fish when their was no such thing as a depth finder.

First depth Finder I had was a anchor rope with knots at so many feet. :D

YES, remember those commercials well....kept singing it when I built my summer home years ago while doing the plumbing... :)

Billy Bob might remember the drinkin age being 21 in Ontario and being 18 in New York, on a Saturday night the bars close to the border in Niagara Falls NY. and Buffalo would have more young Canucks in them than Americans in the sixties.

Billy Bob might remember the drinkin age being 21 in Ontario and being 18 in New York, on a Saturday night the bars close to the border in Niagara Falls NY. and Buffalo would have more young Canucks in them than Americans in the sixties.

YEP, I do remember the different drinking ages back then....but you have to get into the early 70's for me....not that old...LOL

Funny how the ages got turned around for both areas....and I remember going deer hunting in PA when I was 20 years old and I couldn't go to a tavern with my hunting buddy who was 2 years older then me.....Eddy had to buy the beer at the bar and bring it back to our hunting trailer....but the following year I made up for it.... :P

As long as it wasn't your skeg, Dave.

Back then Roy, I carried lots of shear pins. If I ran out, a nail worked in a pinch. Can't remember how many times I filed and hammered the prop. The Skeg was another story :lol:

But it was a 10HP, before they came out with the 9.9 rule registration.

I have a Humminbird 958c (combo) and have had zero problems or interference with marine radio (Raymarine). I can say nothing but good things about it in the two years I have had it. You don't have to be a techie to use it, very simple, very good graphics, good resolution.

It's the old Ford/Chevy debate............ IMO

Joey.....nice!!!I sold my Super Sixty2 to my buddie over the winter. Had it calibrated by a guy in Scarborough about 20 years ago and it still works!

But I would love to have an HD-8!!

Never owned enough to be able to make a decison, but having to pitch out the 32 bucks is like them rubbin your nose in it.

D

i went out last night with a buddie that just bought the same unit ...his VHF is a uniden and there was zero interference ....it was my first time playing with the machine and honestly i found it to be rather user friendly but im sure i could have set it up better if i had the manual to read...all in all i thought it was a decent buy for the price.... the thing that i wasnt paticularily fond of was...the sensor that automatically illuminates the finder takes along time to get the screen bright enough to see until its pitch black on the water but then again ....i didnt have the manual so mabe there was an adjustment for this :dunno:

i went out last night with a buddie that just bought the same unit ...his VHF is a uniden and there was zero interference ....it was my first time playing with the machine and honestly i found it to be rather user friendly but im sure i could have set it up better if i had the manual to read...all in all i thought it was a decent buy for the price.... the thing that i wasnt paticularily fond of was...the sensor that automatically illuminates the finder takes along time to get the screen bright enough to see until its pitch black on the water but then again ....i didnt have the manual so mabe there was an adjustment for this :dunno:

Switch to the advance setting, you can brighten the screen. I must have gotten one of the ones that they forgot to install the part. Service new about the problem. and fixed mine and others.

I do like the machine, very user friendly. Plus I bought the FishNChip for it.

I'd be curious as to the serial numbers and date of manufacture by the sounds of how this is going, betting the problem cropped up and was modified on later units of affected models. Funny how in fishfarmer's case and the video I posted in the original thread there seemed to be no hesitation on Hummingbird's part, send it in and we'll fix it up , like they knew exactly what to do :wallbash:

I've had a whole bunch of Humminbird sonar units. From the LCR1000 to two 3-D units and not one worked right or worked for very long. My best sonars are two very ancient flasher units made by Lowrance. They can even tell me how deep the water is in a 5 gallon bucket.

As for fish detection with any sonar unit.....you simply cannot rely on what the unit detects. On top of that, if there really is a fish under your boat....is it a sportfish? If there really is a sportfish under your boat....will it bite?

When you get right down to it, sonars are way overrated in importance. When fishing for walleye, it's a hit or miss situation. Most of the time, walleye are usually caught in an area about the size of a couple of kitchen tables and these spots are almost always found by looking with your eyes.

As for fish detection with any sonar unit.....you simply cannot rely on what the unit detects. On top of that, if there really is a fish under your boat....is it a sportfish? If there really is a sportfish under your boat....will it bite?

When you get right down to it, sonars are way overrated in importance. When fishing for walleye, it's a hit or miss situation. Most of the time, walleye are usually caught in an area about the size of a couple of kitchen tables and these spots are almost always found by looking with your eyes.

May be true on smaller inland lakes but your sonar and GPS will find LOTS of walleyes suspended and on the bottom in Lake Erie.....but then it's still your job to get them to bite... :)

That is why I call them Depth Finders, some may laugh, but thats basically what they are. What you see on the screen is what you want to think it is. What ever passes between your trans and bottom you may think it's a fish. Suspended leaves,weeds,stick,garbage bags, and you name it fish. Some even tell you what type of fish is on the screen, because that's what they hope they are. I'm guilty of doing the same, hoping all the marks I'm getting are the fish I'm targeting, when low and behold I've stayed on top of a school of Drum. :wallbash::rofl2: . Just think of the species of fish on the lake your fishing, and tell yourself, I hope that's what I think it is. Because there is no rule to a fish that wants to eat, what Temp or fences under the water, meaning, fish will be were you least expect. I've caught fish Subzero,Hot days, Top or bottom or halfway. If I'm hungry, I'll eat any time. If I go to a Buffet and eat till I can't bend over, I don't want to see food for another week. Fish are the same. But I'd sooner eat my buffet indoors. :D

I'm going Walleye fishing tomorrow on Erie, every mark on my screen is going to be a Walleye, I hope :whistling::worthy:

If you see me out there, don't follow me, because you may only catch Sheephead :D

I'd be curious as to the serial numbers and date of manufacture by the sounds of how this is going, betting the problem cropped up and was modified on later units of affected models. Funny how in fishfarmer's case and the video I posted in the original thread there seemed to be no hesitation on Hummingbird's part, send it in and we'll fix it up , like they knew exactly what to do :wallbash:

Dave, I think your right on. Maybe some models are made in a different country or quality control.

I'm just hoping, like a few guys have said, their garbage. I hope mines not :worthy: . To late now, keep my fingers crossed. :blush: