Musky cradle

GBW

Hey all.

My current net is big enough for a decent musky but I've had a few follows of bigger ones that would have to stay in the water to be released properly. If I were to make a cradle with stuff around the house how would one do it? I know a few old bronken hockey sticks would work but what else to use? An old bed sheet? An old orange plastic snow fence? I think that would work best as the sheet may take off to much slime. Thoughts? Thanks.

Geoff

I have used cradles to catch smaller musky, but to be honest with you I would recommend a bigger net for bigger musky. It is much easier to keep them in the water that way. I know if I had a musky that was close to 50 inches on my line I would want it netted.

Thats the key right there. Cradles are to hard to use by yourself. They are nice to use in a smaller boat with lower gunnels to the water as well providing once again you have a partner. As well, trying to use a cradle in a taller boat is nearly impossible unless your really flexible.

Problem is in a small boat even the single handled collapsible muskie nets take up a fair mount of space so your options are kinda limited .

I wouldn't recommend this but in my muskie fishing days I learn to tail all my fish at boat side. I fished mostly alone back then and got quite good at it.....

I ALMOST lost a 48" and DID lose my sunglasses manning the cradle. I wouldn't say it's an optimal means of landing a big fish but if you're not ready to fork out the coin for a proper net, it's better than having a net too small.

I know years ago Lucky strike sent us some cradles for our Belle River Classic they were the mesh only and gave instructions on making the cradle. Well we had to open one to display at the outing and then see all you needed was two broom sticks, just slide them in the sides and your done.

I still have my frabil cradle I bought my first year musky fishing and use it when I am fishing alone and have a big girl I will use my big net to net the fish then wet my cradle and place it between my seat and back casting deck this way after I take a picture I can place the fish into the cradle if needed to help revive her if it looks like it is going to be a very long time it makes it easy so that I can hold it shut and leave her in the water up right. I have only used it two or three times in the 6 years I have been chasing musky.

You might want to check out the stow master nets so that you have them in the boat and not taking up to much room in the boat.