Peterborough City Councillor caught with too many trout

Grimace

We've had many changes here in Zone 17 to our pickerel regs the last couple years, yet I'm still astounded by the number of people I talk to, many who fish regularly, who don't have a clue (or couldn't care less).

I don't think they care.

The lack of respect regarding certain things in our society has gone down the tubes lately.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

No slot here. 1 over and 1 under 16" or some silly thing like that.

I might be mistaken but i think the wording is that you can only keep one greater than 16 inches, so in actuality you can also keep 2 small fish. It's definitely tough and I think the last 2 winters it has just increased pressure on the brook trout lakes.

Catch and release keeps you in the clear. Metro has fish for sale.

As does catching and keeping a legal limit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a legal limit.

Edit: IPhone induced typo.

Edited by Grimace

I might be mistaken but i think the wording is that you can only keep one greater than 16 inches, so in actuality you can also keep 2 small fish. It's definitely tough and I think the last 2 winters it has just increased pressure on the brook trout lakes.

I understand keeping fish, and often do just that; but don't get the fact that people are changing how/where they fish just to accomodate harvesting more. I don't think that winter fishing for lake trout would be ruined for me since I can (in practice) keep just 1 fish....

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I understand keeping fish, and often do just that; but don't get the fact that people are changing how/where they fish just to accomodate harvesting more. I don't think that winter fishing for lake trout would be ruined for me since I can (in practice) keep just 1 fish....

It has possibly IMPROVED lake trout fishing for folks like us because many aren't willing to go to remote areas for only 2 fish. I noticed a lot more traffic into brook trout lakes this winter, both natural and stocked.

Dan McWilliams is not a jerk. Dan is a standup guy who has done a ton for the outdoors and a lot of work getting kids involved in fishing. I knew Dan years ago when my parents owned a cottage on the Kawarthas and I hung around with his brother-in-laws. He has done extensive work with DU Peterborough. As well, the Greenwing kids derby which he runs has been going on for 24 years and is the largest one of its kind. His company, McWilliams Moving and Storage supports numerous local charities.

I have not seen Dan in 20 years so it's not like I am a close personal friend. I do however see the work that he has done over the years as well as the good work he is doing for the City of Peterborough.

From what I have read in the paper, Dan made a mistake interpretting the Ontario Fishing Regulations and kept 1 fish more than his daily limit. I am pretty sure there are others who are reading that have mistaken what is read in the regs. He accepted his mistake, plead guilty as he knew he was and paid his fine. Let's move on. All I ask is that before anyone condemns him as a threat to society, please Google his name and see what else this man has done.

maybe all that work is just for show....politicians tend to do that

Wow looks like the hall-monitors are at it again. Give the guy a break geez :blahblah1:

Do you honestly believe that this is his first infraction against the fishing regs?

I wonder what the odds are for being nailed on your first ever infraction given the limited number of CO's versus the number of water bodies in the province..... dunno.gif

Do you honestly believe that this is his first infraction against the fishing regs?

I wonder what the odds are for being nailed on your first ever infraction given the limited number of CO's versus the number of water bodies in the province..... dunno.gif

Very good point. I hate to pass judgment but he was likely no following the regs for some time. Why who knows but he was caught and hopefully he has been served notice.

Guest BigBeliever

I have met this guy and fished with him. Rules are not for him. He does what ever he wants. And I won't fish or drive with him again. And that Rob Thompson character isn't much better. Just not as smart.