Boat advice (canoe, inflatable, tin, etc)

adolson

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I live in Northern Ontario and I am finally getting back into fishing. I loved it as a kid, but when I left for college I couldn't find time for it. And when I lived in North Bay, I didn't go out much at all. Now I'm back home and I've been bit by the bug... And I got my very first smallmouth on June 30th in the Montreal River (as seen in my avatar). Since then, I've caught three others. Love them. :) Just fishing off shore, though. And now I want a boat.

I inherited a nice Minn Kota trolling motor from my father-in-law. I assume it works, as he kept everything in great shape. So I have this sitting in my basement waiting to be used (I can hear it crying out to me at night. It's kinda freaky).

I was planning to buy a 12-14' aluminum with trailer and motor (3-9.9HP) next year (seen a lot of good deals on Kijiji), when I can (hopefully) afford it. My car doesn't have a hitch so that's another added expense. I have a lot across the street to store the boat and trailer, but this is a one-way street and it's not really ideal. But this was in my heart until recently...

The wife and I bought a Sevylor "4-person" inflatable just to putt around on, and two of the included oars busted on the first and only trip. I'm thinking of returning it, considering it's like $85 and it's not that great. I don't know about fishing out of it - seems that one good fighter and it'd have a hole or tear in it from the lure. And there's not a whole lot of room. But it is very, very portable...

Last night I found out that my grandfather has an old Sports Pal canoe, he was planning to sell it for more, but if I want it I can take it for like $50. I hadn't been considering a canoe of any kind for fishing due to the tippiness, and I'm a big guy (I'm working on that, but that's another story), and the one my wife has won't take a motor (plus it has sentimental value, having been her father's). I'd rather not worry about that stuff. But this one has a mount that my grandpa used to use a 3HP on, and it looks like it (and he says) is very stable. My one worry is mounting it onto my old-school Achieva. I don't have cash for a roof rack, unless those cheap foam block kits will do the trick - I really have no idea, though.

Reading around on other threads here, it sure seems like there's mixed opinions (everyone has their preference) so I don't really expect you all to have a uniform answer. But any advice is appreciated. I discovered the Porta-Bote stuff here last night, and now that's got my head spinning, too. I don't have a roof rack, but I assume I could figure something out. I'm kinda thinking the Sports Pal would be sufficient for at least the rest of this year, and possibly all of next year, and I could then decide what to do as far as an aluminum or Porta-Bote.

It's a big decision for me. Sorry this post is kinda rambly. I am consumed with fishing and boats and stuff lately and I can't even keep my thoughts straight - I fall asleep thinking of boats and I wake up thinking of lures. It's like falling in love... I'm sure you understand, heh. Alright, I'm gonna go eat and then find a shore to cast from.

hey dana.... I have a $50.00 Sportspal too.... with 35lb thrust Motorguide electric trolling motor on it.

I love it.

For the most part, it is very stable.... unless u pull a bonehead movelike I did last summer when I was releasing a decent sized pike and leaned over the edge TOO FAR! :wallbash:

I have used the foam blocks on my roof top with no problems.

The price is right and u will be on th water just about anywhere.

Go for it. U will have ablast and when u can afford something bigger, you will know what you want by then.

I also have a 12 foot tinnie... that i put on the roof of my van and now in the back of my pick up truck..... it's ok, but if I buy another another tinnie it will be a 14-16 footer instead.

If I had to lose one of them, it would be the tinnie hands down.

Happy boating and come back here with pics of the fish you catch bro.

Bluesunset.jpg

Edited by splashhopper

Hey there welcome aboard. There is a ton of great people on here and I'm sure you will get plenty of mixed but great options. The foam blocks will work just fine on the top of the car. You can even use them with an aluminum boat to so you shouldn't have a problem with that. I would take the offer for $50 as it's a good price and is alot better to fish from then an inflatable as you said don't want to get a hole and lose your stuff and have to swim. As for being bigger it shouldn't be to much of a problem you will be fine my father portages all the time in the summer for weeks at a time and he not the smallest guy lol. You shouldn't take to long to get the comfort in the canoe. And as you said it will work for a year or two until you get enough saved to buy another boat.

A good inflatable (like a Zodiac) will cost $1000+ for a 10footer. The Sevylor inflatables just aren't even in the same ballpark as the 'real' inflatables.

I'd take that canoe for $50. You'll probably want it one day. It's easy to build a cheap homemade outrigger/stabilizer to make it more stable and less tippy.

Used tinnys should be water-tested for major leaks.

I picked up an Intex Mariner inflatable a couple of months ago and it has been fantastic - roll-out hard floor is stable enough for me to stand up and move around on (i fly fish so this is important) and the boat has an inflatable keel which adds to both stability and tracking. Comes with fully-rotating oar locks, oars, inflatable seats etc. When deflated everything fits into a bag that fits into the trunk of my civic.

Got mine on ebay for $250 - i think they sell the motor mount for another $30 or so...

Hey, I'm suggesting a sit on top kayak to put your trolling motor on. I have a feel free moken 12.5 foot sit on top kayak and it is just amazing for fishing. You can mount a trolling motor on them and it makes the experience a whole lot easier. Angler version kayaks are more stable than regular kayaks and have more space for storage and accessories. Some are cheap especially if used but they can get kinda pricey in the range of about 1000-5000 dollars. Just take a look at some online at www.feelfreekayak.com and www.oceankayak.com there are some great kayaks for fishing and if you watch the kayak fishing show with Jim Sammons you will see just how great they are for fishing.

Hey, I recently purchased a used 12 ft zodiac type inflatable with removable floor with a 9.9 engine. The boat is rated for up to 2400 lbs and 55HP motor if you need to go fast.

The boat (withoout the floor) is about 20 minutes to setup. With the floor, add another 15-20 minutes. This is not a pool toy. The boat itself weighs about 100 - 110 lbs, the floor weighs 80-90 lbs. The 9.9 I have is a 4 stroke so it also weighs around 100 lbs.

The boat is super stable, and the 9.9 pushes it well...my guess is 20 mph or so. Its good for fishin 2 or 3(max) people. There are a bunch on ebay.

With the solid floor, 2 guys can stand and cast all day. Its a great machine if you dont mind the extra setup and tear down. The boat, floor, motor fit in the back of my midsize truck with room to spare. There are some deals on kijiji if you go that way.

Get the Sportspal. They're great. I picked up a 50 dollar one 4 or 5 years ago. I've now upgraded to a 12 foot aluminum boat and motor but I'd never get rid of the sportspal, despite the leaks, missing ribs and sponsons. You can launch and fish them anywhere.

Get the Sportspal. They're great. I picked up a 50 dollar one 4 or 5 years ago. I've now upgraded to a 12 foot aluminum boat and motor but I'd never get rid of the sportspal, despite the leaks, missing ribs and sponsons. You can launch and fish them anywhere.

I think we have matching Sportspals.. Beat the crap out of them and they just LOOK BETTER!

Thanks for all the replies! I am planning to get the Sports Pal tomorrow and some kind of foam mount setup for my car. :) Also, the more videos of the Porta-Bote I watch, the more I want one of those in the future (mostly the storage and portability of it, vs an aluminum boat). It seems ideal for us, but until then, I think the canoe with my Minn Kota Maxxum 40T will suffice.

I am crazy excited about all of this now. I'm like a little kid again. All those years I wasted sitting on my couch, playing video games! haha (hey, that latest Rapala game with the rod controller is actually pretty fun).

If I get it (ie: nothing throws my plans awry), I'll get a pic and post it up here, of course. It is old, been in the family for a looong time.

Edited by Dana

Sportspal is a great canoe, and way better than any inflatable you can buy for under $500. It's pretty stable (provided you don't try anything stupid, like standing up to cast) and the foam blocks will work just fine on the car roof.

At one point in life I owned a Zodiac. Great boat, but having to set it up and take it apart all the time became a pain in the butt. It sat in the basement (unused) for years before I finally got rid of it.

So, after a long day, I got my temporary boater's card printed out and then got a marine battery and then mounted the canoe onto my car. Finally got it in the water and launched at about 9:30pm. It was so much easier to paddle it than that stupid rubber dinghy... But I mounted my trolling motor on there and it goes pretty good! We had to quit at 10:30 because of light and the horrendous bugs (and then some drunk-sounding guy yelled at us from his house not too far from the public boat launch, I guess our talking was too loud for his drinking).

Unfortunately, water is coming in at least one spot, I'm guessing through one of the seams. I didn't think it was much water until we flipped it to put onto the car, and a bunch gushed out. I did some reading elsewhere on the web and it seems like people use a variety of things to fix leaks. So, that was helpful in a way, because I rather liked the experience and was sad when my leg started getting wet, but now I know it can probably be fixed pretty easily. Only thing is, I don't know what to use! I've heard everything from slow-cure epoxy to marine goop to liquid aluminum - even duct tape... Any advice on that?

I don't know if the foam lining the inside of the canoe can come out or if it's glued down, or if I can access the seams, or what... I didn't get a good look at it yet, but if the foam can't come out, or if the rivets need to be redone (another thing I saw mentioned online), is this a job I should tackle myself, or ask a shop to work on it? And at that point, is it even worth it anymore?

Hey Dana: My $50.00 Sportspal leaked a little bit too when i got it...

I kept a big sponge in the bailing bucket to get rid of the excess water ;)

I bought the 3m seam sealer ( from a marine store) and sealed it from the outside.....

the key is to let it DRY for a few days before putting it back in the water... and if it is humid and hot where u are... (let it dry even longer than the suggested time on the package.)

I am Looking forward to your pics and the first pics of fish u catch on it....

happy cruising

:good:

My Sports pal has several riveted patches on it from a previous owner and was leaking a bit so, I removed all the old crappy silicone around the patches and replaced it with some JB-Weld epoxy. Use a drill and a wire brush to clean around your "suspect" areas...you can see the pin holes much easier this way. I still need to go over it with a fine tootch comb as I'm still getting a few ounces of water after a couple hours.

by the way, do you have seats for that thing? Can you post a photo if you do.

by the way, do you have seats for that thing? Can you post a photo if you do.

I do have seats. I can get a pic of my own later if you want, but they look exactly like this (but older):

foam%20Seat.jpg

Here's a pic of the canoe on top of my car (it looks really short from above! Seems much bigger when you're right up to it):

sportspal.jpg

I'm gonna look into sealing it very soon. I'd like to get it done during this week so I can go out on Saturday.

Edited by Dana

Hey Dana: My $50.00 Sportspal leaked a little bit too when i got it...

I kept a big sponge in the bailing bucket to get rid of the excess water ;)

I bought the 3m seam sealer ( from a marine store) and sealed it from the outside.....

the key is to let it DRY for a few days before putting it back in the water... and if it is humid and hot where u are... (let it dry even longer than the suggested time on the package.)

I am Looking forward to your pics and the first pics of fish u catch on it....

happy cruising

:good:

If you can't find the 3M product Splashhopper recommended, Canadian Tire sells an aluminum sealer called Aluminox. It's kind of like putty - smear it on the outside of the boat, let it fully dry, then you can sand it smooth and paint it, if you like. Like the 3M stuff, it's cheap, and it works great.

I don't know if it works but I've heard the rubberized rocker guard Canadian Tire sells seals reasonably small leaks. I've been waiting for it to go on sale, it's about 9 bucks a spray can at regular price.

I do have seats. I can get a pic of my own later if you want, but they look exactly like this (but older):

foam%20Seat.jpg

Here's a pic of the canoe on top of my car (it looks really short from above! Seems much bigger when you're right up to it):

sportspal.jpg

I'm gonna look into sealing it very soon. I'd like to get it done during this week so I can go out on Saturday.

That is not a "$50.00 " canoe..... if u ever see mine... u will se a REAL $50.00 canoe ! :whistling:

That is not a "$50.00 " canoe..... if u ever see mine... u will se a REAL $50.00 canoe ! :whistling:

post a pic.. lol

This thing is from 1968 or so (sometime in the 60s for sure). I didn't think it was that old, heh.

So anyhow, I put it up onto some sawhorses and filled it with water. I found there are about 16 holes in the sides of the boat... Where the bolts that hold the side foams in place go. :P I should have thought of that - with my fat ass and the trolling motor and the battery all near the back and then my featherweight wife at the bow, no wonder it sits low at the back - low enough to get water in through the bolts, I guess. I didn't see any other places where water was leaking, so I'm gonna replace all the rusty bolts and use Marine Goop to seal around as good as I can. And keep doing my workouts to get my weight down. lol

Well, I pulled out all the old bolts, and some were super rusty and snapped in half when I was twisting off the nuts... They might've been the original bolts from 1968, heh. I put washers on the inside of each bolt, and then on the outside of the boat I put a gob of Marine Goop, then a washer, and then a nut. Then I put the side foam on, followed by another washer and nut. Now I have to trim the bolts and put something on them so they won't loosen.

I did that a couple days ago, and today we took it out on Pike Lake for a few hours. No water came in the canoe, so that was definitely the problem. :D I'm pretty happy with it. Not too impressed with that lake, though. The water was warm and the boat launch area nice and sandy. We went up one end where it got really weedy and really shallow a lot, but not even a single fish bite. I tried a couple Lucky Strike lures, a Williams, Hula Popper, a frog, and some other stuff, no luck. LOTS of weeds, though, and almost every time I cast, too. Oh well, we had fun.

Well, I pulled out all the old bolts, and some were super rusty and snapped in half when I was twisting off the nuts... They might've been the original bolts from 1968, heh. I put washers on the inside of each bolt, and then on the outside of the boat I put a gob of Marine Goop, then a washer, and then a nut. Then I put the side foam on, followed by another washer and nut. Now I have to trim the bolts and put something on them so they won't loosen.

I did that a couple days ago, and today we took it out on Pike Lake for a few hours. No water came in the canoe, so that was definitely the problem. :D I'm pretty happy with it. Not too impressed with that lake, though. The water was warm and the boat launch area nice and sandy. We went up one end where it got really weedy and really shallow a lot, but not even a single fish bite. I tried a couple Lucky Strike lures, a Williams, Hula Popper, a frog, and some other stuff, no luck. LOTS of weeds, though, and almost every time I cast, too. Oh well, we had fun.

Interesting..... I never thought of those sponsoons leaking until u mentioned it....And tonight I was out fishing with just a paddle... no boat battery and no trolling motor... no water leaking in either!!

I guess I might have to take your lead on trimming down.. or not! lol

DSC02914.jpg