Fishing License fish limit

I agree, that can't be right. The limits has to apply to where the fish were caught.

What about slot size. If I catch a big walleye ( > 50 cm ) in FMZ 16 and then bring it back to FMZ 17 where I live it's now illegal? Doesn't sound right.

Edited by Homer Is King

It dosn't matter where you live,or where you caught it matters where you are when you are checked.If your in a jurisdiction that only allows a said number of fish to be your possession and you are checked in that jurisdiction if you possess over the number you will be fined.If I'm in Quebec and am allowed to possess 8 walleye great, if I come into Ontario and possess 8 Walleye I'm 4 over the limit and will be fined simple.

Unequivocally wrong.

My camp is on the border of both Ontario and Quebec. I fish both sides of the border regularly.

I'm entitled to keep limits from both areas and can have them in my possession....anywhere....as long as I have current licenses for both areas.

I've asked CO's from both provinces in that region this question and have received the same response from both.

SO, an invisible line lets you to keep limits from both sides, Or just the higher limit? If you can keep both limits,sorry but that is just WRONG!

NO, having a current license for both provinces allows you to keep two limits.

Please explain in detail your reasoning on why this is so WRONG.

SO, an invisible line lets you to keep limits from both sides, Or just the higher limit? If you can keep both limits,sorry but that is just WRONG!

You pay for a license in both provinces, you are entitled to fish from each.

I don't see an issue with that.

so were i am i can fish ontario usa and quebec within a 10 minute boat ride of each other...

so

if i buy all three licences i can keep all three limits......

weather or not its legal...you guys dont see anything wrong with doing this... its not exactly helping fisheries if people are allowed to do this... cause this means i can harvest

ontario 4

ny state 5

quebec 6

so you guys think its ok for me to harvest 15 walleye (per person) out of the st.lawrence river cause we buy three licences each

so if there is myself and two friends we can harvest 45 walley!!!!!!! and thats ok with you????

So, if I take my boat out on Lake Ontario (Zone 20) I can catch and possess 5 steelhead, but once I set foot on land in Port Hope harbour (Zone 17) I can only possess 2 of those fish? Doesn't quite make sense to me.

keep in mind that COs will let some situations slide for travel and tousism reasons... im not gunna pay a great lakes guide hundreds of bucks if i can only keep 2.. 5 is a nicer number for the cash...

i fish lake erie i take 5 from us waters and 6 from can side co says do you have both licences yes i do your good to go

Good luck with that, I asked the local CO, he laughed and said if your in Ontario waters with 1 fish over the limit your busted, it dosn't matter how many liscenses you have.

did you by any chance ask him about zone to zone in ontario?

not yet, he lives around the corner from me so I see him quite often, especially now that Bass season opened up. Unfortunatly this is his busy time around here, lots of unethical poachers on the peirs now.

Aren't the limits in place to prevent over fishing of specific areas that we fish? I don't see why on earth it would matter if we catch the limit of 4 in lake A yet the zone we reside in is a limit of 2. I would think you should be allowed to take the fish home since you didn't effect any lake within your zone which is the reason for limits, no? I understand in cases of selling fish illegally, but that's another can of worms.

Aren't the limits in place to prevent over fishing of specific areas that we fish? I don't see why on earth it would matter if we catch the limit of 4 in lake A yet the zone we reside in is a limit of 2. I would think you should be allowed to take the fish home since you didn't effect any lake within your zone which is the reason for limits, no? I understand in cases of selling fish illegally, but that's another can of worms.

You've got it right... The zone in which you live in has zero to do with your catch/possession limit from a different zone.

Edited by BillM

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

As stated by bill and others, where you CAUGHT the fish determines the limit, not the zones you pass through.

If a CO charges you, the onus is on the crown to prove where the fish were caught which can be done by genetic sampling.

If for whatever reason the CO didn't believe that the fish were caught in another zone, he could in fact charge you, but it doesn't mean the charges would hold without evidence of where you caught them. Were you at a lodge or in another province then your atm/credit purchases would more than corroborate your story.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Oh really? The dark side? :lol:

I would sincerely love to know what you're thinking because what you're intimating doesn't reflect very well on you.

What I am thinking is that just because you can do something does not mean you should.When you say, that you will keep all you can , even to go as far as having two or more liciences for the SAME body of water,to me ,that, is just greed.

Edited by fishermccann

As stated by bill and others, where you CAUGHT the fish determines the limit, not the zones you pass through.

If a CO charges you, the onus is on the crown to prove where the fish were caught which can be done by genetic sampling.

If for whatever reason the CO didn't believe that the fish were caught in another zone, he could in fact charge you, but it doesn't mean the charges would hold without evidence of where you caught them. Were you at a lodge or in another province then your atm/credit purchases would more than corroborate your story.

not so

in my case i can fish 3 zones... quebec... ny state... and ontario... all on the st.lawrence river... so i can keep 15 walleye a day... according to some on this thread... and they cant prove what zones they came from...

genetic sampling would not prove a thing

they would have to witness every single fish i put in my live well all day...

What I am thinking is that just because you can do something does not mean you should.When you say, that you will keep all you can , even to go as far as having two or more liciences for the SAME body of water,to me ,that, is just greed.

Legally you need two licenses to fish the same body of water if it is part of a provincial or country border and you fish both sides - has nothing to do with greed but responsibly obeying the law.

As for keeping ones limit that is also legal which goes back to the original question which was answered in the first response.

Everything else is opinion and conjecture.

Dan