Fishing License fish limit

What I am thinking is that just because you can do something does not mean you should.When you say, that you will keep all you can , even to go as far as having two or more liciences for the SAME body of water,to me ,that, is just greed.

I'd be more concerned with those who poach rather than those who follow the legal limits, no matter how silly you think the limit laws may be.

I only get pissed (read jealous) at those who keep their limit, when I can't catch my own.

What I am thinking is that just because you can do something does not mean you should.When you say, that you will keep all you can , even to go as far as having two or more liciences for the SAME body of water,to me ,that, is just greed.

I'm not saying that's what I actually practice on a regular basis. I'm merely pointing out the legalities.

If however I do want to keep a limit of walleye from both ON and QC I would and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

There seems to be a newer generation of anglers, weened on merits of catch and release that's shoved down our throats on practically every single fishing show and magazine article.

It's definitely not a bad thing..but when someone is following all the laws and wants to keep his limit or limits then so be it.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

At lot of the holier than thou sentiments from people jumping up on their soapbox smacks of tree hugging, eco-touring, card carrying members of P eta.

But that's just me. :lol:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

not so

according to some on this thread... and they cant prove what zones they came from...

nowhere in what i wrote did i say you can keep multiple limits.

all i stated was that if you fish in zone b and live in zone a, the rules and regs you follow are those of zone b.

not so

in my case i can fish 3 zones... quebec... ny state... and ontario... all on the st.lawrence river... so i can keep 15 walleye a day... according to some on this thread... and they cant prove what zones they came from...

genetic sampling would not prove a thing

they would have to witness every single fish i put in my live well all day...

Yet you say it like it is a good thing.

I'm not saying that's what I actually practice on a regular basis. I'm merely pointing out the legalities.

If however I do want to keep a limit of walleye from both ON and QC I would and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

There seems to be a newer generation of anglers, weened on merits of catch and release that's shoved down our throats on practically every single fishing show and magazine article.

It's definitely not a bad thing..but when someone is following all the laws and wants to keep his limit or limits then so be it.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

At lot of the holier than thou sentiments from people jumping up on their soapbox smacks of tree hugging, eco-touring, card carrying members of P eta.

But that's just me. :lol:

Amen and thanks, you have talent to succinctly make common sense - which is none too common.

Yet you say it like it is a good thing.

In most cases I don't even keep my limit of 4 in zone 20... Not cause I can't catch it... Cause I respect the

river that supplies me with fish for the hobby/obsession of fishing...

I would never keep 15 walleye for myself... Cause I can catch enough walleye year round exept spawn times

Limits in Boundary Waters

Anglers who fish in waters that lie both in Ontario and another province or state must include the total number of fish caught anywhere in those waters as part of the number caught and kept or possessed under the Ontario recreational fishing regulations when bringing those fish into Ontario.

this is from the ontario mnr regs

Anglers who fish in waters that lie both in Ontario and another province or state must include the total number of fish caught anywhere in those waters as part of the number caught and kept or possessed under the Ontario recreational fishing regulations when bringing those fish into Ontario.

That is the answer that I was waiting ( wanting) to hear. Thanks.

Edited by fishermccann

So back to my original question about fish limits

when i am finished my trip in Quebec and i come back onto Ontario soil, with a cooler with 8 fish according to Quebec limit

as long as I have proper up to date license from quebec I should have no problems??????

am i correct

So...as long as I don't tell the truth on either side of the border, I'm good to go? whistling.gif

Guest gbfisher

Sounds to me that you can only keep what you are only allowed where you live when traveling home after a vacation when it comes to different limits in different areas. The fish caught in area 'A' stay in area 'A' and so on if the limit is less where you live when it comes to being kept and possessed anyway... :dunno: Even with having both permits.

So if the limit is 5 in the US and only 2 here....you can only bring two home then?...lol....

Man....where's the interpreter when ya need one. :D

i just got off the phone with the ontario mnr enforcment division

border water...

example lake erie... you cannot catch a ny state limit and a ontario limit... this is a fairly new rule... aparently you could do this before but not anymore

camping trip to quebec...

you can bring back you possession limit according to quebec rules and regs but a bit of proof would be a wise decision... have your quebec licence on you and a receipt from a gas station or something to back up your story of where you caught the fish...

zone to zone in ontario...

traveling from a zone where you caught the fish to a zone where you live... you get benifit of the doubt that they were caught where you say... so in other words... the example of lake O limit of 5 and when you get back to port with 5 and the limit where you dock is 2... your ok

and last but not least... you cannot keep a limit from several different zones unless the total amount is under the largest ontario limit... i am paraphrasing ...

exampl...

lake erie you can keep 6 walleye

so if you get caught with 6 walleye in your freezer anywhere in ontrio... and you say they are from lake erie... they arent gunna prove otherwise

keep in mind this is my interpretation of a 15 minute conversatoin with the guy whos job it is to clear up these questions. there is a bit of grey area in the rules but from what i understand... this is the way it is...

so hopefully this ends this he said she said nonsense...

That is the answer that I was waiting ( wanting) to hear. Thanks.

Not surprisingly you're not getting it. Who's talking about boundary waters? The majority of the people who chimed in, myself included, aren't talking about boundary waters.

The point in question is keeping multiple limits from different provinces or states assuming you're carrying current licenses for each specific area.

And in turn potentially having your possesion limit from each area in your freezer at home.

you can bring back you possession limit according to quebec rules and regs but a bit of proof would be a wise decision... have your quebec licence on you and a receipt from a gas station or something to back up your story of where you caught the fish...

Yes!

and last but not least... you cannot keep a limit from several different zones unless the total amount is under the largest ontario limit... i am paraphrasing ...

exampl...

lake erie you can keep 6 walleye

so if you get caught with 6 walleye in your freezer anywhere in ontrio... and you say they are from lake erie... they arent gunna prove otherwise

keep in mind this is my interpretation of a 15 minute conversatoin with the guy whos job it is to clear up these questions. there is a bit of grey area in the rules but from what i understand... this is the way it is...

so hopefully this ends this he said she said nonsense...

Sorry but your interpretation is wrong.

I can have a limit of walleye from both ON and QC in my freezer. If I for whatever reason got questioned by a CO the onus is on me to prove where the walleye came from which I surely would.

There would be no charges laid and if there were they wouldn't get very far with them.

If you have no proof of what you're saying then yeah you're screwed.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

solo is correct. the fisheries are managed on a provincial level. fish from quebec are not only not in his fmz, they are of another provinces jurisdiction, and an entirely different licensing system and limit.

funny thing about what the enforcement branch told you is that people have been repeating since the first page of this thread. :wallbash:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Yes!

Sorry but your interpretation is wrong.

I can have a limit of walleye from both ON and QC in my freezer. If I for whatever reason got questioned by a CO the onus is on me to prove where the walleye came from which I surely would.

There would be no charges laid and if there were they wouldn't get very far with them.

If you have no proof of what you're saying then yeah you're screwed.

i did not say anythin about keeping limits from more than one province or country when its not from bordering waters...

solo is correct. the fisheries are managed on a provincial level. fish from quebec are not only not in his fmz, they are of another provinces jurisdiction, and an entirely different licensing system and limit.

funny thing about what the enforcement branch told you is that people have been repeating since the first page of this thread. :wallbash:

muliple questions have come up in ther thread as well as false information... what i put in my post after talking to a mnr rep is from what i understand to be true... if you dont understand what i posted feel free to call the mnr and tell me how is was wrong... after i talked to the mnr of course... i will admit some of the previous posts were wrong but on the safe and legal side...

Edited by Musky Mike

thanks for putting the time and effort into finding an actual answer musky mike, as opposed to just telling everyone how you think it is or should be. or what your cousins hairdressers uncle heard from a guy in a bar.

you certainly dont seem to be getting rewarded for your efforts....

thanks for putting the time and effort into finding an actual answer musky mike, as opposed to just telling everyone how you think it is or should be. or what your cousins hairdressers uncle heard from a guy in a bar.

you certainly dont seem to be getting rewarded for your efforts....

in fairness... earlier in the thread i was incorrect... however the advice i was giving was at least legal and a bit on the safe side...

corvette said he limits in usa and then limits in ontario on lake erie on the same day... and the COs say thats ok...

but its not ok anymore... this rule has changed... so at least a couple people including myself should lean from this thread

Edited by Musky Mike

i just talked our co he said catch your limit put your fish in your cooler in your truck then you can go back out fish ont waters get your limit if you get pulled over and your gps shows you wern't in can water your screwed buy the way i its not a every day thing i caught 5 in twenty minutes so i went to the can side for my can limit on another note charter boats take six people out and take every fish they catch if its 36 10 lb fish they are all kept every day out i did it once last and im a hog i paid for my license its up to you if you keep your fish buy the way i fished quinte for 10 years straight every weekend never kept a fish and i had 50 fish weekends

i just talked our co he said catch your limit put your fish in your cooler in your truck then you can go back out fish ont waters get your limit if you get pulled over and your gps shows you wern't in can water your screwed buy the way i its not a every day thing i caught 5 in twenty minutes so i went to the can side for my can limit on another note charter boats take six people out and take every fish they catch if its 36 10 lb fish they are all kept every day out i did it once last and im a hog i paid for my license its up to you if you keep your fish buy the way i fished quinte for 10 years straight every weekend never kept a fish and i had 50 fish weekends

fisherman in ontario... you know the O in OFC cannot do this... perhaps in ny state where you live but we arent allowed

Not surprisingly you're not getting it. Who's talking about boundary waters? The majority of the people who chimed in, myself included, aren't talking about boundary waters.

The point in question is keeping multiple limits from different provinces or states assuming you're carrying current licenses for each specific area.

And in turn potentially having your possesion limit from each area in your freezer at home.

See post# 63